Photo

Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship Advice.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for.
The testing for Virgin sounds pretty intense, I think it's similar to what I'll do with BA but just in one day instead of 3.
The more I hear about it and more I look into it the more I want it.
Do you have any tips for me ? ( ie doose and donts on the day ) or should I just use some common sense ?

Andrew.

#17 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Its all down to common sense.

Dress in a suit. All Aircraft companies like that.

If in doubt say "sorry i don't know" do not BS.

The Pyschonasty test is a clincher for them. Answer carefully BUT LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY BEFORE THE TEST!! basically if they say "we don't really want to see any middle of the road answers" that actually means NONE AT ALL!!
There will either be positive answers or negative answers not sitting on the fence answers. Don't go back and change your answers either. Once its answered leave it alone even if the next question contradicts it.

Read all of the questions carefully. There will be a time limit but take your time. If you cannot answer all of the questions then do not worry. Scott my son did not on some of his. Not the end of the world.

#18 chipster196

chipster196

Destruction Daddy!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: JKSA

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

DONT run around with your arms stretched out going neooooowwwnnnnnnnnn like a plane, this may be a bad impression

#19 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Excellent advice, thanks a lot sonikk4.
I will be going suited and booted and try to take some common sense with me.

Andrew.

#20 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Excellent advice, thanks a lot sonikk4.
I will be going suited and booted and try to take some common sense with me.

Andrew.

Good luck with it. It will be nerve racking but just do your best. By the way i hope you don't smoke as they are fanatical about No smoking. When the first bay was being built some of the builders were having a crafty fag on the roof. The CCTV collared them and they sacked them on the spot.
Some others decided to have a tab in the back of their van. they forgot it had a rotating vent on the roof which their fag smoke poured out off. Instantly sacked.

#21 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Nope I do not smoke and never have.

Andrew

#22 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

BAMC is one of those places that you will either like or hate.

I have known a lot of people who have worked there and some who still do. Most have said its been good to start with and then went on to say well enough is enough and moved on.

The big thing is get the Apprenticeship and be successful with it. Hopefully there will be a job at the end of it (most companies are like that including Virgin)

Get some time under your belt, get you A licence done (if its not part of the apprenticeship) and then move onto your B modules either B1 or B2 or if you are a brainiac both. Hopefully you will get some Type ratings (BAMC i believe do just the 747-400 and 777-200/300) both usable)

#23 Simont

Simont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: Thames Valley Mini Club

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

Im a British airways Second year Engineering apprentice, work at terminal 5 on 747, 777, 767
I agree with everything sonikk4 says dont know whether you mentioned it, but learn the management structure for the engineering side of the company, currently...... willie walsh is top of IAG keith williams is the CEO of british airways, andy kerswill is head of engineering, im not sure what goes down at BAMC, they might ask to identify tools, rivets, nuts, drill bits etc, be used to imperial sizes as thats all boeing use
other wise good luck

#24 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:38 PM

Im a British airways Second year Engineering apprentice, work at terminal 5 on 747, 777, 767
I agree with everything sonikk4 says dont know whether you mentioned it, but learn the management structure for the engineering side of the company, currently...... willie walsh is top of IAG keith williams is the CEO of british airways, andy kerswill is head of engineering, im not sure what goes down at BAMC, they might ask to identify tools, rivets, nuts, drill bits etc, be used to imperial sizes as thats all boeing use
other wise good luck

That's worth bearing in mind but i wouldn't go too far with regards to learning about rivets etc, they will be more interested in seeing what basic engineering aptitude you may have. those things you will learn in your first year. Don't get me wrong its handy to learn the drill sizes in Imperial but there are other number designations you will learn for clearance sizes with regards to fasteners as well.

You could say what a basic airframe is comprised of. ie, frames longerons, stringers. What are the major axis of an aircraft. Think longitudinal, lateral, vertical. What flying controls are used for these axis. (Vertical - Rudder, Lateral - Elevators, Longitudinal - Ailerons)

This maybe too in depth but i did drum them into my son but when it came to the tests etc but apart from a question about Ailerons being used in roll along the longitudinal axis that's all they asked him. Basic theory of flight along with which flight controls are used for roll, pitch and yaw control.

#25 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

I know most of the basics about flight, how lift is created and how jet engines work etc. I am brushing up though.
I'll be doing plenty of reading up on BAMC and BA as I want to be going into this as prepared as I could possibly be.

But thanks to everyone that has given me advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Andrew.

#26 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Good luck Andrew. I am an aircraft fitter working for airbus. I did my apprenticeship years ago and everything that has been said about the interviews and aptitude tests was the same when I joined. I had to know about the company, basics on the theory of flight and I had to do a presentation on something I had built.

I don`t mean to jump in on your thread but does any one know how I would move from aircraft fitting to becoming a technician and doing maintenance? Cheers

#27 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

Good luck Andrew. I am an aircraft fitter working for airbus. I did my apprenticeship years ago and everything that has been said about the interviews and aptitude tests was the same when I joined. I had to know about the company, basics on the theory of flight and I had to do a presentation on something I had built.

I don`t mean to jump in on your thread but does any one know how I would move from aircraft fitting to becoming a technician and doing maintenance? Cheers

The best thing you can do is to start sending out your CV to the various companies out there. BA were recently taking on Techs at Heathrow so maybe worth a punt there.

If not you could try going on the circuit to get some experience under your belt that way.

In the current economic climate most major players have curtailed hiring but it never hurts to try. Be prepared to relocate as if not that will narrow your choices somewhat.

Airtanker were hiring recently so if you have any 330 experience again worth a punt.

#28 davej

davej

Kelly Jones

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for that sonikk4, I build 330`s so that could be worth looking into. Cheers.

#29 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Here's the website
http://www.airtanker...h.co.uk/search/

#30 Andrew O

Andrew O

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Well tomorrow is the big day.
I have brushed up on my maths and general science. Have also learnt the basic theory's of flight, how a jet engine works and learnt Bernoulli's principle on lift.
Anything else I can be doing tonight to give myself some better chances ?

Thanks again
Andrew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users