13 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

I have posed this question in the Tech support section but thought it was equally valid here. Are many people using steel framed FIA approved seats in their minis?

Nowdays, most manufacturers seem to offer 'budget' - around £150 - £180 each so still not cheap - steel framed seats now and I know many people feel they offer better protection than GRP ones (but probably not carbon fibre). My problem is in getting my OMP TRS ones to fit into a mini tub - the shoulders or 'ears' are just too wide in my shell, either ahead of or aft the B post.

Sure this is a problem others have faced and overcome so I will appreciate any advice as to how you did it.

Bob

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yup...they will be a tight fit Bob.

I'm using Cobra Monaca S seats as i got them cheap off ebay to go in my Mk1 Golf. Fitted fine in the goof, but when i put them in the mini they were rather a tight sqeeze and as you say its the ears that are the problem. Mine now fit fine....it took some fitting....and then re-fitting. Eventually sat the nav's seat slightly lower and further back to allow a slight overlap but nothing major.

To give you a comparison....the widest part on my cobra's (ear to ear) is 21 3/4". Might give you a starting point.

Motordrive are a good company to deal with if you want a more slim seat....they'll custom make you one to fit both you and your car like a glove (....well.....seat actually!) but they ain't cheap!

Hope this helps Bob.

Dave

#3 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

Sparco F104 seats are good for the mini. FIA approved, narrow (ish) and look dayum good

#4 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Ive always fancied making my own bucket seats, if you remove the padding/cover from a bucket seat, theres very little to them considering what they cost etc

#5 minisi35

minisi35

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • Local Club: british mini club shropshire

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

I also use the cobra monacos but with these style mounts. They are almost touching the cage though
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Guys. Having just spent over £300 on these OMP's. my budget won't really stretch to replacements just yet. I am using side mounts so I think I may have to cant (lean) the seat inwards slightly which would get the tops away from the cage and B pillar. Probably end up with a numb bum but doubtless I can learn to live with that!

Bob

#7 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

I binned my side mounts and made my own as all the mounts have a funny kink at the bottom so I made mine the same but with a 90deg fold and saved an and inch of space and move the seat across

#8 Old Bob

Old Bob

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Measured the TRS's Dave and they are 22 1/2 inches across - Probably should have measured them before purchase! Anyway, tried a screw clamp on them to bend them inwards slightly. Of course, when the pressure was released they sprung back again...... Next step will be to put a rachet lift across them and see how much distortion they will take before permanently changing shape. I fear something will give, can but try.

I don't think it's a problem with the mounts Summs. Jon Betts made the mounts and they are right angle ones so changing them won't make any difference.

Thanks anyway.

Bob

#9 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

HI Bob

Which way have you got the mounts mounted....for want of a better expression!

I have mine with one of the feet (the bent bit at the bottom with holes which mounts through the floor) facing under the seat and the other facing out. It looks funny when the seat are out of the car but it allows the seat to be moved inward a wee bit as the feet dont come into contact with the exhaust tunnel. Just an idea that might help you move the seats around a bit.

I think you will definately have to mount your seats over lapped...so the nav will most definately have to be behind the drivers seat.

Try mocking the seats up without the mounts in the car (put on blocks of wood roughly the right height) and see if you can get the seats to even fit.

Failing that you might have to return them and get some narrower ones (just as a last resort!).

Good luck Bob and come back with any photo's so we can help a bit more.

#10 Old Bob

Old Bob

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

Thanks again. No problem with staggering the seats, I had planned on that anyway and it does improve vision when coming out of a turning or driving on the continent. The seats are side mounted on right angle rails and they are already tight up to the tunnel so there is no more room that way.

Frustrating because it is only an inch or so (as the actress might have said to the Bishop) so I will try compressing the ears and see if that works. As for returning them, I have had them stored at home for a few months until the shell was ready, mine, not the dealer's fault, so I don't feel that returning them is an option.

Anyway, the sun is shining so some work in the car-port should be possible today.......

Bob

#11 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 30 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I looked at quite a few minis with competition seats and the best solution for me was the Sparco juniors. I did'nt need to reverse the mounts as per rally1380s suggestion, but I have seen that done and it works well.

#12 summs116

summs116

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Local Club: Mini 7 racing

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

How about weld a 90 deg angle strip along the tunnel and run this side on the lowest holes on the mounts and the other side bit higher,
I try and get a pic of my old passenger seat

#13 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

I bought a steel framed FIA seat for mine (Corbeau one, can't remember the model off hand), it was reasonably priced but now I just use it as a passenger seat for track days because it's soooo heavy.

For fitting, I've got base-mount seats, so I just made some bars with captive bolts and drilled holes in the floor behind the cross member, so the seats are basically just bolted flat to the floor - but then I'm tall enough to do that, in fact I had to to get enough clearance under the roll bar. I had to drop and extend the steering column a bit as well, but I ended up with a really nice driving position.

Edited by adamg1380, 15 May 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#14 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

I've mounted my passenger's cobra Monaco s slightly skew (used different mounting holes on each of the two subframe brackets) to angle it slightly facing towards the passenger door. You can't tell by looking at the seat or sitting in it, but it gave just enough clearance so that nothing touches anything else in the cabin

Edited by iTomKart, 16 May 2013 - 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users