#1 agdc99

agdc99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi guys,

Came back from holiday a few days ago and my car just wont start. Problem is im getting a weak and inconsistent spark at the plugs. i have proceeded to fit a new rotor arm and distributor cap and then a new coil, but still hardly any spark at the plugs and very inconsistent. I've got power going from the fuse box to the coil at 12.6 volts, however when i put the meter across the coil sometimes i will get 10.5 and sometimes nothing!? I've got a multimeter, i'm i testing it correctly?

There are also two white leads that go from the coil to a module on the side of the distributor, anyone know what this actually does?

Many Thanks!

#2 se_juggles

se_juggles

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

How is your earth connections?

#3 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

You have not given us the details of your cars age/engine but the 12v side of the coil should have a constant 12v+ on the feed, the meters Red probe should be on the coil + and the Black probe on a earth point such as the engines Cylinder Head Bolt. There you should have a constant 12v+.

The modle you refer to is fitted on the 59/65 DM4 O.E Electronic Distributors and I have put up a diagnostic of those type of ignition systems here http://www.theminifo...agnosis-repair/

Run through those tests to identify if the module has failed and come back if you have any difficulties.

#4 agdc99

agdc99

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Yes i'm getting 12+ volts. but what should it read when testing across the coil?

I've got a 1275 metro engine. 1989 mayfair. How do i identify what distributor i have? 59 or 65? mine has two screws on the distributor cap.

Thanks for the link.

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

The reading on the coil + and - will depend on the trigger position in the distributor if you read the test proceedure in my link then its not the way to test the coil voltage, its done as per the instructions in the test.

You should have a 65DM4 in your 1275 engine.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users