58 replies to this topic

#16 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

How long on average does it take to learn the course? I can't imagine one track walk being enough for me to jump in the car and get it right first time!

iTomKart as you are only in Nottingham I would suggest you come check out Loughborough car clubs evening autotests (see link below), as although slightly different to an autosolo, it is a simple course on a smooth grass field. So limited wear and tear and damage and there are plenty of friendly people to have a chat with about getting into Motorsport, whether it be marshaling or competing.

http://www.loughboro...ts2013Flyer.pdf

#17 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

I 'competed' on an autosolo last Sunday at Debden, it was my first proper go at something like this.

A very enjoyable day and lots of fun, which is always the main thing.

I got 5 wrong tests and that screwed my final result, I ended last in class  embarrassed.gif but not the last overall, haha! You get a wrong test by going the wrong way round a cone and the penalty is 20 seconds added to the best time and that on a autosolo is a lot.

On the tests I did right I set some decent times, I've added a link to results when they're up on the website.
This is a cheap way of motorsport (30 quid entry) and you can do it in any road legal car, allow for an extra set of wheels as some surfaces can be quite abrassive...

I put together this video of my first poor attempt, quality is not great but it should be enough to see what it's about.

And a video of the second run of the same tests, I improved my times but still got the same test wrong!!

A link to the results if you want to study them:
http://www.wsmc.co.u...013 Results.pdf

#18 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

How long on average does it take to learn the course? I can't imagine one track walk being enough for me to jump in the car and get it right first time!

iTomKart as you are only in Nottingham I would suggest you come check out Loughborough car clubs evening autotests (see link below), as although slightly different to an autosolo, it is a simple course on a smooth grass field. So limited wear and tear and damage and there are plenty of friendly people to have a chat with about getting into Motorsport, whether it be marshaling or competing.

Thanks for that, sounds great I'll definitely come and check that out!

One question, as my mini is at the moment the tyres rub on the rear wings under hard cornering. How bumpy is the field and will this be okay or will my suspension need to be adjusted? Smooth tarmac would be fine but I know even smooth fields can have the odd hidden dip and mound

#19 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

For people in the North West, Knutsford and Distric MC run a Grass Autotest Championship throughout the summer.

First round was last night and was awesome fun. For anyone interested, see the below link for reg's and future events etc.

They also run autosolo's and heaps of other events.

http://www.knutsfordmotorclub.co.uk/

#20 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

some pics of the Debden Autosolo and Autotest, with 3 Minis and a Scamp there... I'm the red one. As you can see a big variety of cars!

http://www.flickr.co...os/95490987@N08

#21 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for that, sounds great I'll definitely come and check that out!

One question, as my mini is at the moment the tyres rub on the rear wings under hard cornering. How bumpy is the field and will this be okay or will my suspension need to be adjusted? Smooth tarmac would be fine but I know even smooth fields can have the odd hidden dip and mound

The field is really flat so shouldn't be an issue, best thing would be to turn up and have a go and see whether you need to make adjustments for next time

#22 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

I might have a go at the Ikley MC one (shame it's nowhere near Ilkley as that's just round the corner). I think my hillclimb car will work pretty well, I should just have to stick the carpets back in and find a randomly coloured steel bonnet for it. The only downer is having to drive it there when I've got a trailer and a comfy estate to pull it, presumably a tarp is in order to wrap up all the bits & bobs you want with you? and presumably you just have to accept leaving all your stuff unattended while you do your runs? I suppose I could try & persuade the missus to come in the other car.

#23 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Damn, read a bit more and I need a license to do it, not sure if I can get one in time.

#24 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Damn, read a bit more and I need a license to do it, not sure if I can get one in time.

If your on about the Ikley all day autosolo on the 9th of june you can enter into the clubman event without an MSA licence

#25 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

If your on about the Ikley all day autosolo on the 9th of june you can enter into the clubman event without an MSA licence

Looking at http://btrda.com/AutoSolo/ you can only enter the clubman event if you're under 25 or havn't had a license in the last 10 years, and I'm 20 years over age limit and had sprint license til a couple of years ago.

#26 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:41 PM

Looking at http://btrda.com/AutoSolo/ you can only enter the clubman event if you're under 25 or havn't had a license in the last 10 years, and I'm 20 years over age limit and had sprint license til a couple of years ago.

That rule only applies if you are doing the BTRDA championship. To rock up and have fun it's not an issue. 

#27 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

That rule only applies if you are doing the BTRDA championship. To rock up and have fun it's not an issue. 

Ah, sounds good, I'm very tempted then. Might have to snag a cheap bonnet and carpets and go for it :) Although, maybe just entering the "anything else" category might be more in the spirit, as nowadays the sprint car is only technically road going.

#28 Rob Jones

Rob Jones

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Local Club: North Wales Car Club

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

This is me a couple of weeks ago on my local car clubs autotest.

https://www.facebook...184244438399509

(hopefully the link works)

My first autotest in 20 odd years and despite the handbrake not working on one side, went onto win the event, despite a wrong test!

#29 Da11yn

Da11yn

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

Some photo's from CSMA Concorde Autosolo

547909_10100466640001859_534332872_n.jpg

11743_10100466637466939_196432637_n.jpg

Should have a go pro for the next round, so will have some action shots next time.

#30 iTomKart

iTomKart

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Some photo's from CSMA Concorde Autosolo

547909_10100466640001859_534332872_n.jpg

11743_10100466637466939_196432637_n.jpg

Should have a go pro for the next round, so will have some action shots next time.

Is this the one that was at the Autosport autosolo at the NEC? Think I saw it flying round the course it looked ace! followed it round in a passenger ride in a micra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users