#1 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Local Club: Carlton & District Motor Club

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Hi, I would like to introduce you to Baldric my clubman.

First a bit of history:
Many years ago this was my road car. Then when I was fortunate enough to get a company car I started to rally prepare it. I wouldn't say he was exactly ever finished, but I did do a couple of single venue rallies in him. He was not competitive (1275 with stage 1 kit up against group A Novas and the like, but we had fun.

Then house wife and children intervened and so Baldric (Blackadder reference) was parked up in the garage and largely used as a shelf!

Cut to present:
My 13 year old son who has never forgiven me for selling my Impreza said it was about time we got the mini going.

So a few months ago work started. Progress is slow on my part and my reason for posting is to try and encourage me or should that be embarrass me into keeping going. My son and I also attended the HRCR Rally school at Knutsford. Again to seek encouragement an also because although my first love is stage rallying, unfortunately it is a little out of my budget so thought we might try historic rallying and the like.

To date most "real" progress is down to a friend who has replaced the A panels, rear valance, boot hinge panel and 1 door skin.

Son and I did some prep work for the welding jobs. Plus removed engine and have commenced on paint stripping of engine bay. We have a long way to go, but here are some photos to be going on with:
Attached File  image.jpg   64.23K   84 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   62.4K   25 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   75.03K   46 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   59.02K   46 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   57.56K   22 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   68.26K   32 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   45.27K   23 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   50.72K   92 downloads

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

Nice one and welcome to the 'Rally prep' club.

Like the rear beam.

#3 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

Long time since last post, mainly because don't get as much time as I would like to work on the car.

stripping of engine bay to bare metal has been slow and arduous but nearly there.Attached File  image.jpg   62.46K   11 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   57.63K   13 downloads

Have also removed subframe so that rest of bay can be stripped and subframe can be cleaned and repainted.

Attached File  image.jpg   63.57K   10 downloads

But most importantly we have evicted the wife's car from the garage and Baldric is now in the middle so we can get round and also work on whenever there is a spare hour !!

Attached File  image.jpg   69.85K   13 downloads

#4 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Look's excellent, are you keeping it that lovely colour? :gimme:

#5 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Definately not! Always hated the colour, but didn't get round to spraying it first time around, so it was particularly fetching in Russet Brown and White fibreglass bonnet and boot! :ohno:

Going for black this time, which is another reason we are stripping the engine bay as did not want to risk spraying over smoothrite as have had experience of paint reactions on a mini many many years ago!

#6 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Browns the way forward, no need to clean the mud off ;D  the white bonnet and boot don't sound that bad to me.

Did you see the rally clubman in last months minimag?

#7 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:48 PM

cant wait for this bad boy

#8 creakyjaws5533

creakyjaws5533

My jaw needs oiling. Where's the WD40??

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

This is going to awesome I absolutely love rally clubmans shame I don't own one :P (one day)

#9 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hope you don't mind me adding this to the TMF trackday/rally projects thread - http://www.theminifo...ckday-projects/

Brilliant father and son project, and with a slab nose mini I am mighty jealous.

I bet he is itching to drive it!  :D

#10 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hope you don't mind me adding this to the TMF trackday/rally projects thread - http://www.theminifo...ckday-projects/

Brilliant father and son project, and with a slab nose mini I am mighty jealous.

I bet he is itching to drive it!  :D

Hi brilliant idea, puts a lot of relevant ideas together and goodness knows I need as many tips, ideas and advice I can get!

yes it is good doing with son. if it wasn't for him it would still be a shelf gathering dust and yes he keeps saying when can he drive it legally or otherwise!

#11 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Finally finished the tedious job of stripping engine bay to bare metal and applied a coat of primer. Yippee!Attached File  image.jpg   56.95K   9 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   65.82K   7 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   51.45K   8 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   47.63K   8 downloads

Not sure why these pics are the wrong way up??? Can you rotate on TMF?

Edited by DEPS, 16 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#12 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

How are you saving your pictures?? if they are in your pictures on your PC then rotate them there before you post them to Photobucket and then to here.

#13 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Finally got the photo bucket app and managed to upload some better pictures although on my ipad colour looks more yellow than grey!null_zpsc2f5e9c6.jpg
Yes that is a big hole where I have taken the air box out, it was only pop riveted in and am planning to get it welded back in.

null_zps141a80a7.jpg
null_zps5ce7ed40.jpg

#14 DEPS

DEPS

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

Son and I finished stripping the subframe.

null_zps6ad1bcd1.jpg

null_zpsca7f09f4.jpg

And the component parts:

null_zps355e51a7.jpg

Including the tie rods which are now confirmed as bent! Oh and the broken teardrop mount that fell out when we removed the subframe!

And by the way we had a bit of fun removing the LHS cone as the thread in the doughnut was cross threaded so couldn't use the cone compressor so just removed top suspension arm.

null_zpsc831b826.jpg

Good news was I thought I had a faulty Hilo as couldn't get it to adjust but now off car seems ok so added a bit of grease and adjusted up and down a few times and seems fine. So now need to place an order for new doughnuts, subframe mounts, bushes etc. More expense!

#15 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Tie bars look like they had too few many drinks, skew shaped or what!

Will you be going rose jointed, or standard/adjustable?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users