16 replies to this topic

#1 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

I am toying with the idea of changing my chain drive to diff set up I need some input

#2 Minja

Minja

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Why, what advantages do you see a normal diff has over the chain drive setup?

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

turn the ehgine sideways and weld a propshaft to the sprocket!

#4 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

This guy has used a powertec box, with a built in geared reverse and lsd, not a cheap option as I believe they are in excess of £4000, although this guy bought his secondhand I believe

http://www.locostbui....php?tid=162229

Is it worth spending £4000 plus? Depends what your trying to achieve, a few more details would help

Cheers
David

#5 proplant

proplant

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hi joss i have done it on my z s mini busa i did it to stop chain snapping best thing i have done to it it drives so smooth and no chain noise

#6 2000lukey

2000lukey

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I can second the qba3r quaife powertec unit, top quality, smooth, changeable gearing, reverse. I have put one in my road legal buggy with a fireblade attached to it. Crazy

#7 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for your input I will do some additional research into the powetec setup with the reverse

#8 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Hi David
I here that Zcars are toying with the idea of supplying Busa minis with a diff set up would you not a agree that as stated it would be less noisy, maintenance free, mechanical reverse and quieter than the chain. I know the installation from the original setup will have to have some major changes such as swing arms, shafts etc but I want to check it out to see if it is feasible.

Joss

#9 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

i agree joss,
when i had the mini, there was endless problems with the rear end setup, constantly swapping parts, renewing parts etc. to be fair by the time i sold the car all the problems had been ironed out. i think that a pukker drive box would be much better and may also mean that the centreline of the diff would be lower to the ground meaning that the drive shafts would be running as level as possible. the v-tec setup is a better setup as the driveshafts sit level with the ground. after owning the mini, i would consider building a mini from scratch, however i would not use trailing arm setup, there are better ways of a suspension setup in my opinion.

Ed

#10 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

Hi Ed

How are things thanks for the input I also know it would be a great improvement to the car carrying out this procedure but from your experience how should I start this, you mention omitting the trailing arms is there a way of custom fitting a drive diff from another setup?

Joss

#11 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Hi David
I here that Zcars are toying with the idea of supplying Busa minis with a diff set up would you not a agree that as stated it would be less noisy, maintenance free, mechanical reverse and quieter than the chain. I know the installation from the original setup will have to have some major changes such as swing arms, shafts etc but I want to check it out to see if it is feasible.

Joss

The idea of a proper diff sounds excellent to me, it's just the cost that frightens me!

Why would you need to change the swing arms? These boxes like the quaife powertec qba3r aren't very big, there would no physical reason you would need to change swings arms, but like ed says there maybe other reasons why you would want to change.

I considered turning the engine 90 degrees and driving a very short prop shaft to a conventional diff, ie Sierra/Freelander, but when I did the measurements there just isn't enough room and the driveshaft angles are hideous

Attached File  ZX12R mini.jpg   76.88K   31 downloads

Cheers
David

Edited by R1mini, 26 April 2013 - 12:12 PM.

#12 edsmini

edsmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

if i were building it from scratch, i would fit wishbones, i believe that when cornering hard, the rear trailing arms flex, causing driveshafts to move quite considerably. i also know that zcars have built many of these kits with no problems arising from the design. i am purely stating this as i believe that the rear end setup has room for improvement.

the powertec diff would be my road if i were building another mini.

the trailing arms would probably work with the powertec setup i would just rather re design the full rear end..

Ed

#13 brum,brum,mike

brum,brum,mike

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hi joss i have done it on my z s mini busa i did it to stop chain snapping best thing i have done to it it drives so smooth and no chain noise

Any pics of your set up?

#14 joss

joss

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hi these are the best photos I can find to show you the layout of the engine in relation to the frame

Attached Files

#15 Minja

Minja

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

In my opinion chain breakage and gearbox damage is due to the fact that there is nothing in the z-car setup to absorb the shock.

On a motorbike there is a cush drive in the rear wheel to absorb shock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users