#1 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hello all

I'm in the process of building a pro motive kit and have almost done all of the mechanical bits.

The next big thing is to get the R1 engine all connected and fired up. I'm not too sure where everything goes so some help would be greatly appreciated. I'm just scared of getting it wrong and possibly ruining nearly a years worth of hard work.

Will post pics as soon as I can, probs tomorrow.

As I said any help would be amazing.

Cheers. H.

Edited by R1mini89, 03 May 2013 - 11:26 AM.

#2 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Carb or injection? Have you got the modified loom from pro-motive or are you planning to do it yourself?
I used the promotive loom for my 5pw engine. Connecting that was straight forward which I then integrated with a custom mkIV mini loom.
It's not as bad as it looks just take some time to look over the wiring diagrams in a Haynes manual and match each wire up. That's what I did with the two looms, spent a lot of time but all becomes clear eventually

Having said that mine is yet to actually run...

#3 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Mine is also a 5PW with the loom already converted. The only thing I don't have is a complete mini loom.

I've been looking to get a classic mini loom from ebay to put the two together.

Another thought I had was with regards to the fuel pump. Can I use an aftermarket one or source and R1 pump?

#4 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

i got the mini loom made to exactly what i wanted from Autosparks. cost a lot but its an excellent loom and it has the extras i needed plus all the bits i didnt left out.

i got an MPi tank with fuel pump in it. easier and a tidier install to just fit the whole thing, plus it was the larger tank over my puny 5.5 gallon one.

not sure on the R1 pumps suitability - i would check to see if its strong enough to pump fuel  from the back of the mini first as on a bike it doesnt have to go very far. 

anyone using the R1 pump successfully?

#5 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:00 AM

Do Autosparks have a website/link? 

The fuel tank on mine had no cap when i got it so i have no idea of the condition inside regards to rust ect so i might just get a new one if my budget can stretch that far or try to somehow clean the one i have. 

Is it also possible to fire up the R1 engine without the mini loom just to test to see if the engine is still ok?

#6 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:12 AM

Autosparks.co.uk

Have a look through my thread and I posted my own wiring diagram. Shows on there the wires you would need connected - if I remember correctly, Ignition live, ignition cranking, earth and a thick gauge brown wire on the mini side of the loom that goes to the battery side of the bike starter solenoid.
However as mine turns over but doesn't fire I'm not 100% sure on my diagrams accuracy...

#7 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info, i'll take a look.

Here are some pics by the way

Attached Files

#8 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I asked the guys at pro-motive about the fuel pump as I will be starting my build soon they said for the carb engine the r1 pump is fine it's fine but the inj one they recommend either the mpi tank/pump or a bosch aftermarket one mounted inside the boot. 

Edited by thespikeyone, 19 May 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#9 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Got it sorted and running, finally.

...but now i've hit two major snags. There seems to be a loose rubber seal because the engine oil has turned to milky goo and i cant seem to get the diff bolted into place. One step forward and two steps back :(

I'm thinking of getting the engine sorted, maybe by a local garage then selling it on.

Its a shame because its nearly finished but i've been struggling to work on it because i've moved away from home, where the mini is, and theres nowhere to work on it at my place...

Any advice on what i should do?

#10 blunder

blunder

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

The coolant pipe the goes in at the rear next to the oil cooler passes through the sump and has a seal on the end inside. Might has fallen off or had a chunk nicked off as you put it all back together!? That would be my first guess

#11 blunder

blunder

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Also..... Which Bosch pump do they recommend?

#12 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

took the coolant pipe off an it had no o ring :( new one fitted now and reassembled and no more mixing of fluids which is good. Flushed the coolant and and oil after short runs a couple of times so there's no more milky gunk in either system.

this is the one they recommended and it works amazingly well.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item56571a5168

Just the diff to lock down next and sort the sticking clutch and i can take it for a spin :D

#13 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Diff sorted! Yaaaaaay!

Just the clutch to sort out. Really hope I can do it without removing the engine because that'll be like going back to square one. The bike engine was sitting for about a year without any oil in it so I'm hoping by soaking it full of oil for a bit I can fix it.

Anyone else come across a permenantly engaged clutch like this before?

#14 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

#15 R1mini89

R1mini89

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

THIS IS NOT THE FOR SALE SECTION

Edited by Carlos W, 16 July 2013 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users