#316 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:32 PM

It's just been rushed hasn't it.

He would have been better off being honest from the start and informing you of the delay in starting and then carried out the job correctly in the time it takes to do properly and then he would have a happy customer and another feather in his cap.

He is obviously capable of a nice job because the nice areas do look really nice.

This is why prep work is 99% of the finished job because any rough prep will always show through the paint.

Hope you get it sorted

#317 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:55 PM

It's just been rushed hasn't it.

He would have been better off being honest from the start and informing you of the delay in starting and then carried out the job correctly in the time it takes to do properly and then he would have a happy customer and another feather in his cap.

He is obviously capable of a nice job because the nice areas do look really nice.

This is why prep work is 99% of the finished job because any rough prep will always show through the paint.

Hope you get it sorted

Exactly what I've thought all along. And backs up my frustration (being polite) in receiving texts from him towards the end of August saying it was all ready and being painted, when he hadn't even started it.

There’s also the fact that if he’d said from the start that he wouldn’t be working on it for a few weeks. Then I wouldn’t have had to rush stripping all the old paint off, priming and preping the car in two weeks beforehand only for my time and money in doing so being completely wasted.

#318 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:42 PM

In other news though. I’ve been working though some of the last of the exterior and interior niggles. Like refitting the front fog lamps, which I know aren’t original without them to me the front looked a bit odd. But even those didn’t turn out to be simples.

As at the start of the year I’d bough a matching set of fog lamps to fit onto the swift we have, in place of the original 17 year old cracked, smashed and broken originals. Witch near impossible to find and bloody expensive new through Suzuki. Only the set I’d bought off amazon didn’t have the supplied brackets and hardware. And after a load of lies from the seller, I came up with the idea of using the brackets from mine as they would need cleaning up anyway, then just buying another set and fitting those to the 25 after the respray.

Using my brackets and modifying them to suit was fine, the problems came when I ordered my replacement set for the 25. To start off with the My Hermes delivery guy decided that launching them over an unlocked gate would be a good idea. And upon opening them up, finding that the brackets and hardware were included, but the lamps were slightly thinner and rattled around in the housings.

So I had to use the brackets and housings from the new set, but the lamps from my old units cleaned up and backs painted to make up one fully working set. At least the wiring was a little less painful once I’d cleaned and tided that up.

Next up is something that’s bugged me since fitting, and that the later style rear fog lamp. So I dug around in my boxes of junk and was able to cannibalise bits from 3 separate old units to refurbish into one fully working unit, and make up a new bracket from suitable steel.

37899433636_7abd668a5d_c.jpg

37899433776_39cf7128d2_c.jpg

The other niggle was the lower dash rail, which was the grey one from my Mayfair in witch I’d painted black. Only 10 or so years down the line it looked a bit tatty, with the paint flaking in places, scratches and the naff glossy shine. Also the chrome finishing trim was also broken/cracked.

In my hunt to find a decent black one at a reasonable price, I gave up and found a near mint grey one with intact chrome trim at Stanford hall for £15. The only problem being it’s the wrong colour. So rather sceptically I went on eBay and bought a £7 can of vinyl and leather dye. Found some off cut of many grey vinyl and used that as my test piece. After letting it dry (it still stank) I gave it a test by stretching the vinyl to its limits, scratching it with a screwdriver and even rubbing it with some rough sand paper. But no matter what I tried the paint didn’t crack, flake or peal. So it was just a matter of degreasing the grey dash rail and spraying black.

The bit I really wasn’t looking forward to though was swapping them over, by removing as little as I could possibly get away with, and without damaging the new dash rail in the proses. It ended up taking me a day and half to swap them over (those switch panel bracket nuts are a pita), with the evening spent taking the dials apart, cleaning those up and polishing up the black surround. Although I did get one nice surprise, with the current respray I was starting to worry about removing all of the original paint, but it turns out I still have some on the lower dash rail. Ok it will never be seen, but that still didn’t stop me giving it a quick polish.

26177209269_6fb0bd1e0f_c.jpg

37899433286_ec4ed96d4b_c.jpg

26177208619_fced32fe09_c.jpg

And with the new dash rail fitted and all of the dash back together.

37899434006_dbcfc0a27f_c.jpg

37899434176_61a4cdac2b_c.jpg

26177210199_1a59cbccd0_c.jpg

Edited by 1984mini25, 26 October 2017 - 10:46 PM.

#319 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

One thing I forgot to mention last time, is when I went to collect the mini on the day of the mot. Not only was my battery flat and swimming in an inch or rusty water (I have an inch thick piece of polystyrene under it) but it also wasn’t running right and wouldn’t idle. At the time I topped up the dashpot and just put it down to having been sat a while, as it did improve once warm. Although the emissions were a bit tense as it kept fluctuating (revs increasing and then dropping) from being too rich and a fail, to about right and a pass and then back and forth.

I did also have another little paly after my first drive round taking the pics, leaving the mixture and just checking the timing, which seemed to be ok. Although after I’d finished fitting the new lower dash rail, I started it up and let it run for a bit in the garage just to check all the electrics and dials still worked after being disturbed. But I know it was slightly colder, but something didn’t seem right as it was really lumpy.

So I whipped the plugs out, they were black so gave them a clean popped back in. left the mixture alone as it was about right going from the mot. The timing was ok as checked the other day. It doesn’t have points so that could be ruled out, so the only other option was the dizzy cap, rotor and leads. And upon removing the dizzy cap (I hate trying to unscrew it without having to remove the grill) the issue for the rough running became obvious, the spring in the centre had become rusty and fell to bits, even though the cap was relatively new.

Luckily I just so happened to have a spare dizzy cap from my other engine, only issue is its one of the clear ones and I needed to ream the holes out for my larger fixing screws. And while I was swapping the caps over I also gave the ht leads a thorough clean up. But it’s running fine now, I’ve even had to richen the mixer by one flat.

Also these arrive the other day, £1.85 posted from china.

38022265681_fdc3807708_c.jpg

So I could neaten up and extend my headlamp relay wiring, and also replace the temperamental relays for some spare. I will at some point make up a new bracket and relocate them to under the bonnet prop bracket and reinstate the vin pate to the front corner of the inner wing. But I’ll do that near the time I restore the engine bay.

Edited by 1984mini25, 29 October 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#320 lawrence

lawrence

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Looking great :) i know the paint job isnt the best as you have highlighted but she is looking good all the same 

#321 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

Well I dropped the mini back off with him earlier this morning, although I'm not entirely sure it was the best option. From the moment I got out of the car the first words he said to me was "I was being ******* picky".

I repeated at least three times if he didn't want to do it, I could turn round right there and then and go elsewhere, but it wouldn't be the last.

But kept on saying he'll do it while being aggressive and defensive. Although he's only doing the front wing, n/s inner door and o/s door step. Well I assume he's doing the last two as he was unclear. The rest he claims I should go do something to myself over. As apparently all the issues (I have only pointed out a few, not all) are either parts you don't look at or down to my prep, or both.

The sanding marks, scratches and hazy paint on the front wing is apparently down to my prep. Witch anyone who's been following and looked at the pics knows that's *******. Also apparently I should expect it as he was rushed.

The two other bits he might or might not be fixing, yet again blaming my primer. But yet again I've got pics of my primer having been stripped off those areas.

Also before I left he had another pop, saying " I didn't know how to weld, don't know how to sand filler and ******* every panel on the car".
I don't really need to say anything other than this thread proves otherwise.

I should however get it back Saturday, as he made a point at having a paying customer booked in. Although I'm already still shaken up (suffer with anxiety and depression) so if its not done or been rushed....

On the plus side though he's had so much work on recently he's found the time to completely repaint his workshop floor, and pull apart and fully repaint his toolboxes. Nothing like getting your own **** in order while ******* up others.

Edited by 1984mini25, 13 November 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#322 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

Well I dropped the mini back off with him earlier this morning, although I'm not entirely sure it was the best option. From the moment I got out of the car the first words he said to me was "I was being ******* picky and that I was a C**T".

I repeated at least three times if he didn't want to do it, I could turn round right there and then and go elsewhere, but it wouldn't be the last.

But kept on saying he'll do it while being aggressive and defensive. Although he's only doing the front wing, n/s inner door and o/s door step. Well I assume he's doing the last two as he was unclear. The rest he claims I should go do something to myself over. As apparently all the issues (I have only pointed out a few, not all) are either parts you don't look at or down to my prep, or both.

The sanding marks, scratches and hazy paint on the front wing is apparently down to my prep. Witch anyone who's been following and looked at the pics knows that's *******. Also apparently I should expect it as he was rushed.

The two other bits he might or might not be fixing, yet again blaming my primer. But yet again I've got pics of my primer having been stripped off those areas.

Also before I left he had another pop, saying " I didn't know how to weld, don't know how to sand filler and ******* every panel on the car".
I don't really need to say anything other than this thread proves otherwise.

I should however get it back Saturday, as he made a point at having a paying customer booked in. Although I'm already still shaken up (suffer with anxiety and depression) so if its not done or been rushed....

On the plus side though he's had so much work on recently he's found the time to completely repaint his workshop floor, and pull apart and fully repaint his toolboxes. Nothing like getting your own **** in order while ******* up others.

...😐

#323 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

MacGyver - I take it that's your polite response?

As I've been left with a car that, despite the guy won't openly admit, will have to have full areas redone. Because of issues with or under the paint. It's disgusting to think that he's painted it fully in the knowledge of such. And the issues with the paint started surfacing after only a week of being parked up in a dry garage. Where previously it's spent the last 4 to 5 years sat outside in all weathers (and used) with nothing more than a rattle can respray, with no issues bubbling up through the paint.  

Still for someone who undertakes work via word of mouth and Facebook.... As I've been left with a car that's been painted, with all the issues and a few more I've highlighted. Experienced, disgusting customer service, lacked of any respect or communication, lied repeatedly on progress even though none has been made, or been left for weeks. Quoted 8 to 10 days, but took 8 weeks (54 days) in total and then got shitty about being chased for progress. Blames everything else for substandard of workmanship. Bodges in the knowledge that it will cause issues in the future. Doesn’t warranty any of his work. Genuinely believes the work he does do is worth 3 times what he charges…  You might be fine with the odd scrape, car park ding or a bike frame to a ‘******* it that’ll do’ standard, but anything else ovoid. 

And the guy might want to amend his prices page on his website, as it could be viewed as misleading, especially as he claims no one paints a car for the price I paid and timescale.

So that'll be why he advertises a "budge exterior respray To tidy up minor dents and scratches and paint in existing colour. Everything not to be painted masked before paint then a final sand and polish. It can be achieved in a week £1000 including materials."

and

"Classic car interior and exterior respray, Remove doors, boot lid, bonnet. Remove all trim, door handles, glass etc. Basically, strip the whole car down so it can be painted everywhere, under screen rubbers, side trim, door weather strips etc. This will give a nicer detailed finish than masking things up.
Two weeks of prep work, welding, filling, straightening and getting panels nicely fitted. One week of priming, sanding and painting. If it can be removed to paint it will be. Door hinges, individual trim pieces, bonnet catch etc. Final week re-fitting sanding and polishing for a show shine.Total of four weeks work and up to £500 of materials.Price £3500"

So if you take into account mine needed no panel replacement, rust repairs or welding, And I did ALL of the trim removal and refitting myself. So based on that's half of the above. It took him 8 weeks to ******* up two weeks worth of work. And the 2so it can be painted everywhere" part should probably read, except the bits that "no one sees" like in door shuts or the underside of panels.

And if he really want to get ******* picky. How's about a refund in all of the petrol I've wasted with repeated weekly 30 mile round trips in person because of his lack of progress, ******* via texts or ignored messages. Oh and the £50 for the new battery I had to buy to replace the one he *******.

#324 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:07 PM

Not sure what else to say... I am a panel beater by trade and it makes me a bit (very) nauseous to see someone be so blind and in denial of the crap work he did.
I'm sure it can be put right, but he should at least agnoledge the fact he did a bad job and shouldn't even think of putting the blame on you. (or anyone els than him)

We had a client, a bit like you, who prepped his car and had us just flat back and spray it to keep the price down.(not exactly the same case here...)
Some bubbles came up a year later, we told him it was probably the fact he didn't follow our recommendations on the prep and that he did it in a very damp garage.
Just to be sure and see we proposed to respray the worst of it (wings/bonnet), taking it back to bare metal and showing him the rust under HIS body prep/epoxy and did it properly, free of charge. He agnoledged the prep was done in a 'humid' environment and recognised we did nothing wrong. He is one of our best customers now and plans to give us the car to do it properly next year when funds will allow it.
That's the way to sort out a problem, not blame the customer, specially when it's obvious it was just badly done.

So again... 😐

#325 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

At the moment Im trying to make light of the situation, otherwise Id be curled up rocking in a darken room over it.

But I get everything about painting over someone elses prep work, and the possible issues afterwards. But regardless the way hes handled all of it has been wrong.

When I initially got the quote, I made a point in saying Id strip the several layers of paint (none of which would have been over paintable) already on the car and rattle can primer it so it would be easily removed.

But he's seams to have been under the impression the quote was for the car to have been dropped off in 2k primer. But as a written quote doesn't exist, its his word against mine. But then if it had of been dropped off in 2k primer, how's that also not going over someone else's unknown prep?

But also if something had been said from the very beginning while stripping the car down, why wasn't it? Its not like any of it was hidden. And it would have been a simple either he wasn't happy and it would never have be left in the first place, or it would cost x amount, etc, etc. And as I've had 12 years of ratty paint I would have paid the extra (I've spent enough so far I could of had something a lot more modern to drive round in instead). As this was surpossed to be a one off, or at least not for quite a few years (we all know how even the cleanest of minis can be enthusiastic at rusting), not weeks.

Not to be sent a text 3 weeks later that it was ready to be painted, to then send my dad a different text of that he'd only just started and removed all the rattle can primer.

But to now be saying it's all down to my prep and primer, when he stripped that off his own back, as I've said before is taking the mick.

But then that still doesn't excuse things like the fish eyes and bits of metal along the front panel (wouldn't even look at) or the even more inexcusable areas that have missed being painted.

I also don't get why you'd fully mask off the door shuts and inner doors, knowing it would leave edges and masking tape lines?

There is also another points someone has mentioned, in that not only is there no written quote, but also no invoice, witch also opens a can of worms.

Although nothing changes the fact that as well as the previous lists, it also appears both inner doors, inner boot lid and full door shuts will need stripping back to bare and fully redone. Witch ain't going to be easy in the slightest.

#326 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

Well I hope you get it sorted quickly and can enjoy it! You deserve it!
Will keep watching this space, and if you need it...
...I might pop over and kick him in the nuts when it's all over... if It's OK with you? 😀

#327 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

Well I went and picked the mini up last Tuesday, after the guy had had it another week, so only 9 in total. He “didn’t know” what had caused the paint blisters, but yet again he was still trying to blame my primer/handiwork.

Although it’s not without its new issues. For starters It was parked in such a way as to hide the repaired side and he hadn't even been bothered to wash it and was covered in (not visible in the pics) a layer of dust/grit witch appeared to have been rained on. So maybe have been done and sat around for a few days, despite being told over the weekend it wasn’t ready yet. Considering I gave it a full wash and hover the day before dropping it off. As the previous weekend it did get a little muddy parking on the field (the field was ok but the dirt tracks weren't after a days’ worth of rain) for a fireworks even at Santa pod.

Both front foot wells under that carpets are wet and the inside stinks of paint thinners (even nearly a week later).

My bonnet popped open twice while driving, the first was just leaving his gates, so I got out and shut it and carried on. But the second time, luckily not going that fast but wasn't able to stop safely and had to limp to a nearby car park at the end of the road to readjust it. It’s also where I was able to take the pics.

The clips for my wheel arch liner have either been broken or lost, so that was flapping around under the wheel arch. And it wasn’t until I had got home I noticed my front n/s hub cap in a different position to the others (yes I’m that sad that I have to have the hub caps a certain way in relation to the tyre valve) But in having the front wheel off, he hadn’t bothered to tighten the wheel nuts full and were done up just enough. So being a little pre occupied with the bonnet popping open, I wasn’t aware that I could have had a wheel come off at any moment on the many roundabouts.

But It appears he's redone the front n/s wing and front panel, under bonnet (although I have a feeling he's just painted over the top of the rust) passenger door and driver’s door step. I’m leaving putting the strips back on till the start of the week, as I’m going to give the front wing a good polish (oh yes’s he’s missed bit and left scratches) But there’s little I can do about the masking tape lines round the repairs.

37725732974_11ede1c2b2_c.jpg

26664315789_10e6160b2a_c.jpg

38409191282_998a96a0c2_c.jpg

38440582221_3fcded2bf9_c.jpg

26664315199_9d6006735c_c.jpg

Oh and if that wasn’t bad enough, I now have a massive front to back scratch on a barely year old Mazda to polish out. Thanks to trying to avoid a farmer in his tatty pick up down the narrow lane that wouldn’t pull over.

Edited by 1984mini25, 19 November 2017 - 11:17 PM.

#328 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:58 PM

Haven’t done a lot. But left the new paint on the front wing a week before refitting the pinstripes. Using a handy template I made of the old one before it was removed, some string, masking tape and lots of measuring and eyeballing just to make sure. Still took ridiculously long in doing so though, but then I only had just enough pinstripe left over.

I’ve also made a start on tiding up the rear inner arches, starting with the n/s first as that’s the pita side with the fuel tank. Gave the inner wheel arch a good sand, touched up any bare metal or rough areas with primer and degreased the suspension and subframe as best I could with sprits.

26862616119_bd19994c7b_c.jpg

38638666911_c5a054c10f_c.jpg

37750884695_4f541647eb_c.jpg

26862616609_0fc6a22733_c.jpg

And with everything reassembled and with a lick of paint or stone chip. 

37750885695_5026130959_c.jpg

38582449026_e0ee8016a4_c.jpg

38582448816_ea66a4805a_c.jpg

37750886585_237f80807c_c.jpg

And the other reason for pulling the suspension to bits, apart from repainting the inner arches is so I could replace the knuckle joints with the decent quality Delphi items I’d bought over the summer. The only reason why that the old perished rubbers were never an mot fail, is that they were covered in that much dirt. Although I’m not looking forward to a repeat of the hours of struggling to remove the old plastic knuckle cup (as shrapnel) on the other side. 

26862616979_92596901b9_c.jpg

Edited by 1984mini25, 25 November 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#329 g111mds

g111mds

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:52 PM

Nice job on those inner arches.

#330 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

Nice job  =] where did you get the Delphi knuckles from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users