In other news though. I’ve been working though some of the last of the exterior and interior niggles. Like refitting the front fog lamps, which I know aren’t original without them to me the front looked a bit odd. But even those didn’t turn out to be simples.
As at the start of the year I’d bough a matching set of fog lamps to fit onto the swift we have, in place of the original 17 year old cracked, smashed and broken originals. Witch near impossible to find and bloody expensive new through Suzuki. Only the set I’d bought off amazon didn’t have the supplied brackets and hardware. And after a load of lies from the seller, I came up with the idea of using the brackets from mine as they would need cleaning up anyway, then just buying another set and fitting those to the 25 after the respray.
Using my brackets and modifying them to suit was fine, the problems came when I ordered my replacement set for the 25. To start off with the My Hermes delivery guy decided that launching them over an unlocked gate would be a good idea. And upon opening them up, finding that the brackets and hardware were included, but the lamps were slightly thinner and rattled around in the housings.
So I had to use the brackets and housings from the new set, but the lamps from my old units cleaned up and backs painted to make up one fully working set. At least the wiring was a little less painful once I’d cleaned and tided that up.
Next up is something that’s bugged me since fitting, and that the later style rear fog lamp. So I dug around in my boxes of junk and was able to cannibalise bits from 3 separate old units to refurbish into one fully working unit, and make up a new bracket from suitable steel.
The other niggle was the lower dash rail, which was the grey one from my Mayfair in witch I’d painted black. Only 10 or so years down the line it looked a bit tatty, with the paint flaking in places, scratches and the naff glossy shine. Also the chrome finishing trim was also broken/cracked.
In my hunt to find a decent black one at a reasonable price, I gave up and found a near mint grey one with intact chrome trim at Stanford hall for £15. The only problem being it’s the wrong colour. So rather sceptically I went on eBay and bought a £7 can of vinyl and leather dye. Found some off cut of many grey vinyl and used that as my test piece. After letting it dry (it still stank) I gave it a test by stretching the vinyl to its limits, scratching it with a screwdriver and even rubbing it with some rough sand paper. But no matter what I tried the paint didn’t crack, flake or peal. So it was just a matter of degreasing the grey dash rail and spraying black.
The bit I really wasn’t looking forward to though was swapping them over, by removing as little as I could possibly get away with, and without damaging the new dash rail in the proses. It ended up taking me a day and half to swap them over (those switch panel bracket nuts are a pita), with the evening spent taking the dials apart, cleaning those up and polishing up the black surround. Although I did get one nice surprise, with the current respray I was starting to worry about removing all of the original paint, but it turns out I still have some on the lower dash rail. Ok it will never be seen, but that still didn’t stop me giving it a quick polish.
And with the new dash rail fitted and all of the dash back together.
Edited by 1984mini25, 26 October 2017 - 10:46 PM.