Photo
- - - - -

Cam Timing

engine

Best Answer lrostoke , 16 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

If you want just check its to factory settings then radiator out, fan belt off, crank pulley off..

remove timing cover.

remove the wheel on that side so you can see through the slats in the inner wing.

Now turn the engine, on the cam sprocket and crank sprocket will be a punched dot.

Only one of these in picture as the punched dot, sure mine had one on each but ideas the same

Get a straight edge,  and the center of the crank , the dots and center of cam should all line up with the marks in the position shown.

Any more accurate than that and you will need a DTi gauge and a cam timing wheel

022.jpg

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  • Local Club: Norfolk Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi folks, 

I wouldn't mind just checking my cam timing is right, it's played on my mind ever since my Rolling Road with Peter Baldwin. My final run i got 53BHP @ 4800RPM.

From this reading, Peter thought it was odd as a standard 998 should be able to reach at least 5500RPM before the power drops. 

So his conclusion was that my mini could have been one of the unlucky ones that didn't have the cam timing set up properly in the first place...

My question is, is it possible to check/adjust the cam timing with the engine still in the car? Or is it an engine out jobby?

Many thanks,

Iain.

Edited by IainNeon91, 16 May 2013 - 03:55 PM.

#2 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:55 PM   Best Answer

If you want just check its to factory settings then radiator out, fan belt off, crank pulley off..

remove timing cover.

remove the wheel on that side so you can see through the slats in the inner wing.

Now turn the engine, on the cam sprocket and crank sprocket will be a punched dot.

Only one of these in picture as the punched dot, sure mine had one on each but ideas the same

Get a straight edge,  and the center of the crank , the dots and center of cam should all line up with the marks in the position shown.

Any more accurate than that and you will need a DTi gauge and a cam timing wheel

022.jpg

Edited by lrostoke, 16 May 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#3 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:57 PM

So do i just turn the engine over until these marks meet (if they do..) ?

#4 lrostoke

lrostoke

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,923 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

yes

the crank turns twice for every turn of the cam. Should only line up in one place.

#5 ACDodd

ACDodd

Up Into Fourth

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

There is no need to fit a timing disc to check cam timing. You need a dial gauge. Check your tdc marck is accurate. Set the valve clearances on the cylinder to be check equal. then turn the engine till both valves are rocking on number one cylinder. This is the important bit. Bothe valves need to be open th exact same amount. At this point stop and see where the timing mark aligns to the pointer. If it is after the marks the cam timing is retarded.
This is the process I use to determine very quickly under 5 mins.

AC

Edited by ACDodd, 16 May 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#6 IainNeon91

IainNeon91

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, i think i will give this a go first, a lot less time consuming!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users