Photo
- - - - -

Complete Nut And Bolt Restore Time/expense

Best Answer Grkify , 16 May 2013 - 09:48 PM

You guys have been an incredible help  you really have and thanks everyone. Have made a decision going to buy myself a wreck seen a few about from £800 to £1000 strip it back to bare metal and do it properly. I understand its going to be a long slog but its  worth it.  Going to use my few weeks of forced holiday to strip it to parts make sure I spend my time labeling what comes off so I know what goes were.  Really looking forward to the challenge. Luckily if its going to take  year or two minimum I can put the money and time in to it to make it mint. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Grkify

Grkify

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Hey everyone silly question not sure if its in the right sections but here goes. I know its like asking how long a piece of string is but  here goes , how long do you think a full nut and bolt restore of a round nose mini should take not to concourse condition but to a neat and tidy standard? Reason being I will be getting rid of my clio in November and would like to buy a mini now  seen a fair few locally in shoddy condition rusted through a pannel and the like. would like to buy one with something needed doing on it as would like to put my own stamp on it seems silly to take a pristine mini and start undoing previous owners hard work as well as a little bit of a waste of money. Have access to complete garage and I am reasonably technical mind  as I am a mechanical technician by trade never attempted anything more than servicing my car and re hanging a passenger door  so not sure about whole idea but I would love to learn a few more skills.   Have a budget of around £5k and would like to have it completed in a month  of 5 day week 8 to 10 hours a day got a heap of holiday with nothing else to do with it :)  not sure if this is reasonable or not any help on this matter would be much appreciated. 

#2 Andrew O

Andrew O

Previously known as Andrewo330.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:19 PM

I'm pretty much at the end of my restoration, and the car was fully stripped and every nut and bolt taken off re spray etc.
It has taken me and my dad just under two years and I dread to think how much it all has cost

Andrew

#3 Piper x

Piper x

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Im pretty much doing the same thing mate. With the help of some really good advice from some of the guys on here, Im really enjoying the experience. Been at it for about a month now, but only been able to afford maybe a couple of hours per day. Its starting to come together quite well now, though to be honest could easily spend the same amount of time again to get it the way I want it. Too keen to make the Thistle run next week, so priority now is getting it back together with what Ive done so far!! The rest can wait....

#4 Barman

Barman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

My 'six month resto' has taken me three years and endless amounts of cash...

I literally did the full nut and bolt thing - even took out the rubbers from the rear quarter-lights and replaced them...

The problem I found was that once you had spent cash in one area ( I replaced the rear subby for instance) you think, "no point not doing this bit", and it just goes on and on and on...

I don't regret a minute of it but you shouldn't underestimate the vast amount of 'nuts and bolts' involved in such a project....

I now have a 'brand new' 40 year old mini that should easily last another 40 years!

#5 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

full nut and bolt restore will cost more than 5k, and wont be done in a month 

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

double that if you actually want to sort the bodywork out while you're there....

oh, and 3 years later if you use the car as an everyday runner, it'll need doing again

and finally, the car will be worth only 10% of the money you've ploughed into it.

#7 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

twice as long as you think and twice as much

the car in the pic took 18 months full nut and bolt resto and five figures

#8 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:00 PM

double that if you actually want to sort the bodywork out while you're there....

oh, and 3 years later if you use the car as an everyday runner, it'll need doing again

and finally, the car will be worth only 10% of the money you've ploughed into it.

Never a truer word said......

#9 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:13 PM

2 years to do the bodywork, that was £10k of my time, £2k on panels, £3k on paint (we got robbed there) at least £2k on the subframes, brakes, wheels and tires and other suspension parts. The engine and gearbox stands Scott at about £1.2k so far but its not got a camshaft yet, exhaust and some other bits.

Carbon fibre roof £500.

No interior yet either. So all in all with all the other bits of DSN bling scott has bought i would say when Erm is done the overall thing will be in excess of £20k.

Oh and £1k to buy the bloody car to start with.

#10 Grkify

Grkify

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:52 PM

hmm  think may have to just jump in head first and see what happens normally find this the easiest way to learn.  It sucks I cant get it done quickly but good things come to those who wait.  As for cost looks like I will just have to do it over a year or so. although the money put a side should hopefully get me off to a good start Its my dream car odd choice I know but I have cheap tastes I guess  >_< .  guessing my best bet is to try and find one with a decent body  and rolling restore. Going to go for it though.  Thanks for help everyone I am super glad that I found this forum. 

#11 ANON

ANON

More Jammy than a Jammy dodger.

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Local Club: pony

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:11 PM

just buy a heritage shell and start with that.

#12 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

I bought a 1976 re-shelled mini for £4500 two years ago, and have spent almost 3 times that amount getting it to how I want it, and its not to a show standard, but clean, reliable, and as said above, a 37 year old car but every part is brand new! It should be a 13 reg!!!

#13 Grkify

Grkify

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

I did see a link somewhere about a complete new mini from parts with a refurbished engine and gearbox to allow it to go through iva of year of engine or something along those lines.  its a neat idea but hate to think of the cost. 

#14 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:39 PM

Even a new BMH shell is £5750 without paint, so add in paint costs of around £3k (don't forget this is internal and external) then you are up to nearly £9k then its all the refurbing of parts, things like engine overhaul, gearbox, brakes, subframes etc etc etc then it soon spirals.

#15 Grkify

Grkify

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

So does anyone have a rough estimate to the hours needed to complete a restore?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users