Photo
- - - - -

Mot Failure Need Help Asap

Best Answer sonikk4 , 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

The drums need to be in good order and adjusted correctly. The emissions side of it if i'm correct for your year of car should be no visible smoke. My 75 just had its MOT and i cannot remember seeing him stick a gas analyser up Paddy's exhaust.

Maybe worth buying another flasher unit but also make sure the earths for the indicators are in good order.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kirkcheds

kirkcheds

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

hi guys my 1977 mini failed its mot on indicators flashing to slow im mean ******* sake and they change it over with the hazard unit and it was to fast the guy was OK with passing it for this but is there another flasher unit i can buy , it also failed on the brake test it has drums all round could it just be it needs new shoes cylinders and drums and adjusting , and the most annoying failure was the emissions i mean who gives a **** whats coming out the back it doesn't have a cat  its not gonna kill anyone or me waste of time but what can be done about that?

Edited by kirkcheds, 16 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

#2 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

Well actually CO does kill people! What were the emissions values? If just too high then weakening the mixture at idle will probably sort this.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM   Best Answer

The drums need to be in good order and adjusted correctly. The emissions side of it if i'm correct for your year of car should be no visible smoke. My 75 just had its MOT and i cannot remember seeing him stick a gas analyser up Paddy's exhaust.

Maybe worth buying another flasher unit but also make sure the earths for the indicators are in good order.

#4 kirkcheds

kirkcheds

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

i will tell them even tho im no mechanic this should be there job  i didn't think it would need a emission test as it doesn't have a cat

#5 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

flex brake pipes have a big effect on brakes. from experiance. what comes out its exhaust should be cleanish if it aint its wrong

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Only for vehicles first used before 1st Aug 1975 is a visual emissions test required, 1st Aug 1975 on then it'll need a probe up the bum, and will need the go through the same test as any other mini prior to the cat test.

If your indicators are running slow then check that all the bulbs are of the same wattage and also the flasher is the correct rating for the bulbs, ie if you have 15w bulbs, then you need a 2 x 15w flasher unit.

#7 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Only for vehicles first used before 1st Aug 1975 is a visual emissions test required, 1st Aug 1975 on then it'll need a probe up the bum, and will need the go through the same test as any other mini prior to the cat test.

If your indicators are running slow then check that all the bulbs are of the same wattage and also the flasher is the correct rating for the bulbs, ie if you have 15w bulbs, then you need a 2 x 15w flasher unit.

Damn john got there before me, just checked up this website for the emissions

https://www.gov.uk/emissions-testing

Paddy was built before august hence why i did not see any pipes up his backside.

#8 tommy13

tommy13

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

All vehicles first used after 01 August 1975 need an emission test,  The max permissible emission readings for your car are 4.5% co

and 1200ppm hydrocarbons. As already stated, these can usually be lowered by weakening the mixture. This may cause flat spots or a general holding back feeling when driving and you may have to richen the mixture again after the test. If you get the above problem then in all probability you have a worn carb needle and / or jet.

The indicators should flash at between 60 and 120 times per minute. With a standard flsher unit the rate is governed by the resistance of each individual indicator circuit. Any added resistance as a result of poor electrical connections or incorrect wattage bulbs will alter the flash rate. The flasher unit itself may also be suspect and swapping it is the only real test.

Modern electronic flasher units usually have a fixed flash rate which doesn't rely on the quality of the circuits or bulb wattage. If you use one of these they usually have 3 terminals and you have to add an earth wire. A useful terminal guide can be found here

http://www.vehicle-w...ys/flashers.php

#9 kirkcheds

kirkcheds

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

thanks for the help

#10 A-Cell

A-Cell

Camshaft & Stage Two Head