Photo

Strange. Spitting, Smelly Exhaust. Plugs Fine.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#16 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

How are you getting on with this brivinci

#17 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:01 AM

Why do you let your car get warm by idling?  That is not a good way to do it.  It may be the reason why it smells. In future, I would let the car get warm by starting and driving it. Letting it warm up by idling will just use more fuel,  ( as it will be on choke cycle for longer ) resulting in more fuel being dumped into the chambers.  If you have a cat fitted, this is a sure fire way to wreck it.

#18 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:03 PM

I ordered a new inlet temp sensor and am going to pull the intake and make sure the coolant lines are clear. I am also waiting on a scanner so I can see if anything is up.

My father was driving behind me yesterday and said "you car stinks!!" It puffs out smoke on occasion and has a very heavy "exhaust smell" to it the entire time I drive.

I let the car warm up so that the oil is at the right temp, and pumping as it should. I know it uses more fuel. Its important to have a car running at its correct operating temp.

#19 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Quick update:

I replaced the temp sensor on the intake and checked to make sure the coolant lines were clear on the intake as well. Ran the car and it was much the same. I let the car get warm and then tried a few things. Still, at an idle, if you bury the throttle, the motor stumbles, almost like it will stall, and then catch up and rev. Once or twice, I heard a backfire in the intake while doing this. On a short drive, I went to downshift once (heel to toe) and I just got a big hickup instead of a rev.

I have a scanner on its way so I can see if anything comes up. My feeling is that I will not find anything out with the scanner. Just my luck.

#20 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

when you get the scanner don't just look for fault codes to come up, look at the live data from the sensors to make sure they are operating within the correct parameters. A sensor may not be working correctly but not through up a fault

#21 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

It seems that the MAP sensor or TPS are acting up. For the TPS you will need the scanner (or maybe an ohmmeter). For the MAP sensor, try bypassing the fuel trap in case it is leaking or clogged since your lines are new. After that the scanner is you only hope.

My experience with TPS is limited to my Hyundai. The car would vary slightly the speed at constant throttle but the OBDC would show the TPS voltage changing. Ohmmeter check showed non linear resistance change as the throttle opened. You would see jumps on the resistance value and some values would even repeat as the throttle was opened. 

#22 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:31 PM

Mines been like this for a few years with no other problems all sensors have been done except lambda with no change the best I got was a slight improvement by fitting new  cap and arm ( the decent ones without the rivet!)no air leaks vac pipes good etc etc so I just live with it,always passes mot ok. Decent fuel makes a difference not supermarket.

A friend who is a mechanic spent ages on his girlfriends cooper trying to sort out the same problem as I had and got nowhere, one of those things.

#23 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Right, last time I had it on a scanner and went through every test  possible and everything checked out. Will be doing the same this time.

I took the fuel trap off and blew through it. It is not clogged or dripping fuel. I didnt take out the ECU to see if anything look wet but last time I did, it seemed fine. How much fuel as to get in there to cause a problem? How long does it take for any fuel to dry out? The ECU sat for a year between rebuilds and the car acted the same once started again.

#24 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Might be a strange thing to suggest but is the cat clogged up at all?

#25 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Right, last time I had it on a scanner and went through every test  possible and everything checked out. Will be doing the same this time.

I took the fuel trap off and blew through it. It is not clogged or dripping fuel. I didnt take out the ECU to see if anything look wet but last time I did, it seemed fine. How much fuel as to get in there to cause a problem? How long does it take for any fuel to dry out? The ECU sat for a year between rebuilds and the car acted the same once started again.

Did you bypass the fuel trap? it could have a vacuum leak.

#26 minimat

minimat

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Local Club: anglian mini club

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:46 AM

I did all the above,cleaning out the ecu on a rad overnight blowing out vac pipes (not on the car!) bypassing the fuel trap changing the fuel filter, got the injecter cleaned by a lucas injction agency I could go on but nothing made any difference.

#27 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

The car has no cat anymore. Replaced with Maniflow link pipe.

I never thought of a leak in the trap itself. I will look at that. Maybe just buy a new one to have just in case:-)

#28 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:10 PM

The car has no cat anymore. Replaced with Maniflow link pipe.

I never thought of a leak in the trap itself. I will look at that. Maybe just buy a new one to have just in case:-)

Read this:

http://www.theminifo...alling-trouble/

#29 brivinci

brivinci

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

Well, I scanned the car last night with no help....

There were no fault codes stored and everything seemed to check out when doing the running test. Only thing that seems strange was that the ambient temp said 200c!!! That seems a little weird but maybe thats normal???

The lambda would fluctuate between .01 (sometimes 0.0) up to 1.5v.

Coolant temp showed a stead climb. Got up to 82 C when the car warmed up under idle.

While I have the scanner, what else can I do? I ran all the tests which didnt show any problems.

On the fuel trap, I didnt try to bypass it but I feel like I swapped it out at one point with my brothers to test. Anyway, I sprayed some starter fluid all over the place to see if there are any leaks but heard nothing. I will try and bypass the trap tonight to rule that out.

#30 IainStallard

IainStallard

I am the first status holder 2014.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill Mini Club, CCMOC

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

By ambient temp, do you mean inlet air temperature?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users