Danny76

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hi there,
First project, first post.

Forums are my main source of information, so i thought id give something back to show where all your good info has gone!

My first car was an '83 mayfair in clove brown, completely original. Modified it slightly, stage 1 kit, lightened dizzy (fitted and tuned by Rohith De Silva), 5x10" Minilites, tinted windows, hi-lo's. I always replaced parts with the genuine items for sake of re-sale value and made sure all mods could be returned to standard for re-sale purposes.
Sadly (i think) the day of re-sale never came after i slid into a sign post in the heavy snow last february - Write-off.

So I started again, always fancied an estate, fancied a bit of a project.
Ofcourse, theres no such thing as a "bit/little" project... now a year and 2 months on i'm about there (i think).

How it arrived;
DSC07064.jpg

DSC07065.jpg

DSC07066.jpg

DSC07067.jpg

After it was dropped off at my house a prompt two hours early i stuck the key in the ignition with baited breath and turned her over...
She wanted to run but just wouldnt hold any revs - after rolling it down the hill into my drive. I stood and starred thinking "What have i done"
engine running issues were easily diagnosed as a stuck valve.

DSC07079.jpg

So off the head came to be sent off for unleaded valves and a good skimming.
While i waited i set about the electrics... Mice! Judging from the amount of old onion bulbs in the door bins it had been stored in a garage & the mice had chewed their fair share of the loom.

DSC07098.jpg

The head came back and was re-fitted with my old stg 1 kit - it ran.
After that i faffed about largely with various interior parts and ideas, chassis painting the floor, looking for a welder willing to tack her up!
In that time, i had made a wooden dash shelf, made plans for my stereo install etc.

Eventually it went for welding and arrived back this january.
Then things started moving!
I have fitted new rear doors with a 3rd brake light

DSC07634.jpg

Made a speaker board/back seat

DSC07434.jpg

529070_10151346945272117_483339579_n.jpg

Interior light

304175_10151199206852117_788661087_n.jpg

Audio

DSC07811.jpg

DSC07782.jpg

DRL's

DSC07645.jpg

DSC07651.jpg

Then off with headlights

DSC07654.jpg

Re-routed Rear no.plate & lights

DSC07757.jpg

Bulkhead connector in heelboard for internal brake line

DSC07724.jpg

Exhaust with flexible section

DSC07952.jpg

Got some S steelies and got them painted up, Metallic black with pinstripe

DSC07468.jpg

All-in-all I'm about there, i have no plans for a paint job. i'm aiming for tatty/ratty, a proper respray may be on the cards at a much later date, but for now i'll be happy if i can get it MOT'd and on the road.

The main aim was to do it to say i did it, and learn a few skills along the way. Never installed audio before, never changed the head gasket before etc...

I've missed loads off, but you should get the picture thus far.
Cheers,

Danny.

#2 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:55 PM

That's coming along nicely. How have you done the interior lights?

#3 Danny76

Danny76

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

It's getting there cheers. I seem cross one thing off the to do list then add 5 more...

The interior light is a 5m LED strip off amazon run around the lip above the windows.
I've got rid of the switches in the doors and just have a toggle switch mounted in the switch bezel where the heater knob uest to be

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: estate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users