Photo
- - - - -

Spark Plug Problem With My A Year Old Countryman

Best Answer KernowCooper , 27 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

I do OB2 Diagnostics and fault codes are registered by the ecu, 1 misfire wont bring the light on but after a preset value in the ECU's coding and that value is reached the ecu will bring on the engine light as yours did and the car to protect itself will go in whats known as limp mode, which is a reduced operational mode and a loss of power is the result. The dealer would have read the code and identified what component caused the limp mode and replaced it and cleared the fault code.

They could read the ecu and give you a print out of the results if your worried, but modern cars cough twice and the lights on so I would not be overly concerned about it.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 xvip3000

xvip3000

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Hi guys,

I just bought a Mini Cooper S Countryman last week. The car is one year old, and with only 10,000 miles on the clock.

When I went to pick up the car on the 18th, the engine stalls every time I put my foot down. And then it will become a three cylinder car, and engine was turning no more than 3000 RPM. And I have got a yellow engine warring light on my dashboard.  (I tested the car in a rush hour before I made the perches, so I didn't spot the problem) 

The dealer worked on the car over the weekend, they fixed the problem, but without telling me what the problem was, until today.

Their sales manager phoned me today, asking if the car is still OK. He said the problem was coursed by the use of a wrong size spark plug. They don't know when or how did that happen. But all they did was to replaced that spark plug.

Now, I have driving the car for a week, that problem never came back again. But since the dealer had told me what happened,now I am more worried about the internal condition of the engine.

Could that spark plug did some damage to my engine, while it was there all the time?

And how bad could it be to own a car with a history of a wrong size spark plug?

Edited by xvip3000, 27 May 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#2 Wise Old Elf

Wise Old Elf

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • Local Club: Club Lotus

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Swap it for a 20 year old mini and you will be fine.

#3 Spud_133

Spud_133

mmm potato and cheese....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Local Club: C&T Classics

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

It might have messed with the lower second upper fufu valve, and I'm about 20 years the car will only be worth scrap value.

In all seriousness, If its running ok now it will be fine though.

#4 mattbeddow

mattbeddow

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

You might be better off posting this question elsewhere. This forum is more for the old classic minis
That said, we still welcome new mini owners, just have less knowledge when things go wrong

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

On a more serious note this forum is more for the classic mini rather than the new Mini. However we still have members that have both so some questions can be asked and you will get a good answer.

I take it the car has warranty so if you have any concerns take it back to the dealership and ask them to give the car a thorough inspection. if its all clear then happy days and you will feel better for it.

#6 richw911

richw911

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:34 PM

Try here  http://www.mini2.com/

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sounds like the car detected a spark plug failure and went into a limp mode to protect itself.  I wouldn't worry about it at all, it had a warranty repair so if anything fails down the line as a result of that repair you just take it back again.  If the plug had contacted a piston, you would know about it.

#8 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:50 PM

Pretty much what Dan said, if the MINI's detect a peristent misfire, such as a faulty/wrong/failed spark plug, they'll put the car into limp mode. Engine and EML light will come on as you described. If its been repaired then don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:34 PM   Best Answer

I do OB2 Diagnostics and fault codes are registered by the ecu, 1 misfire wont bring the light on but after a preset value in the ECU's coding and that value is reached the ecu will bring on the engine light as yours did and the car to protect itself will go in whats known as limp mode, which is a reduced operational mode and a loss of power is the result. The dealer would have read the code and identified what component caused the limp mode and replaced it and cleared the fault code.

They could read the ecu and give you a print out of the results if your worried, but modern cars cough twice and the lights on so I would not be overly concerned about it.

#10 xvip3000

xvip3000

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Many thanks you for your reply. 

I will bring it to my local Mini 4S shop next week, to see if they can find any damage at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users