245 replies to this topic

#226 evolone38

evolone38

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:35 PM

I just watched video, output shaft is interesting...

Chain would be a much quicker way to see if the noise is related, on your decel situaiton.

I  have come up with a crafty way to make it so the tensioner bolt not to back out again. Will share when i get pics someday.

#227 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

Have you tried putting a new chain on it? You should have spare chains ready made.. you will be amazed how much a chain can rattle your brain. I have logged 3k miles on my swap so far, lots of chain maintaining and after the chain incident you had,... you should rechain it for good measure.

ive ordered a new chain so will see what difference it makes.

Definitely check chain tension. Sometimes a knocking noise can be the idler pulley skipping teeth if the chain is too slack.

Play in the output shaft is concerning, mine & my friends both don't move like that. Best to send a link of the vid to Darren at Pro-motive for his diagnosis. 

Good news on the torque steer improvement. I will thinking about it over the wknd, might be worth checking your top / bottom ball joints for correct shimming and that they correctly torqued up ( I think it's 75 lb ft).

sent a vid to the pro mo guys so will see what they come back with.  will have a check of the joints now there is a few miles on them, thanks

#228 minidave04

minidave04

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Local Club: ashford mini owners club

Posted 14 May 2019 - 06:07 PM

I had a problem with nocking it worked out being the chain the link wore away and on the verge of snapping due to the diff bracket bending and moving out of line

Once diff mounted back and making a stronger way to hold the diff I’m place I’ve had no more problems

#229 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

So i replaced the chain tonight.

4199943-D-AD42-41-DD-9-B2-B-A6-FAC1-D8-A

I don’t want any “I told you so” from u lot!!!! The rest of the chain actually seemed fine but I replaced the whole thing with a renthal r4. Think I need to get a decent chain splitter/riveter the cheapo one I got off eBay isn’t quite up to the job fine for my trials bike but not a 530.

#230 evolone38

evolone38

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:51 PM

Your welcome  :D

I use screw together ones, I had the slide link type fail and I can fix a on the road if need be with a 10mm wrench.

#231 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:54 PM

Your welcome :D

I use screw together ones, I had the slide link type fail and I can fix a on the road if need be with a 10mm wrench.

What is this witchcraft you speak of??? I have just wrestled with a rivet link screw in sounds loads easier

#232 evolone38

evolone38

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:57 AM

Pictured voodoo

Attached Files

#233 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

So I think it’s the end of my mini-ing for the year.

Horrible noises coming from the drive train under load
https://youtu.be/yY1CRcecUvg

And at slow speed

https://youtu.be/w8A1gc_JsSo

#234 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

Oh bugger, that sounds nasty.

#235 Aceslow

Aceslow

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:55 AM

Is that Pro-motive drive train parts or Yamaha parts making the noise?

#236 evolone38

evolone38

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

Check your hub / bearing / cv nut fitment could be brake chatter? Put it on two jacks, one on each lower ball joint and put in 1st gear and see what noises you can find by loading each tire up separately.

#237 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:29 AM

Had it up on axle stands and ran it in gear noise is coming from diff or reverse gearbox. Will need to remove chain and go from there.

#238 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

So ripped the diff out and inspected the input shaft.

DB23-D4-EA-BA2-A-4-F26-8-FE2-3-AB2837814

18-B93-E8-C-7859-450-B-86-A0-161-CE4-E51

https://youtu.be/nCo3nUWrhZY

Looks like the bearing are ******* and allowing the shaft to move enough for the tab washer to gouge a groove in the housing. The movement was probably allowing the pinion gear to lift enough to skip teeth on the crown gear I’m guessing

#239 evolone38

evolone38

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

That was my next guess. I have had that happen before, it is why I run more oil in my diff than called for.. havent had any issues since. Plus I put a bigger 4AN hose fitting on top for more breathing/ less pressure for higher oil level capacity. It also leaks zero fluid out the top unlike those air hose fittings supplied.

How many miles have you put on it?

Edited by evolone38, 24 June 2019 - 07:52 PM.

#240 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:39 PM

That was my next guess. I have had that happen before, it is why I run more oil in my diff than called for.. havent had any issues since. Plus I put a bigger 4AN hose fitting on top for more breathing/ less pressure for higher oil level capacity. It also leaks zero fluid out the top unlike those air hose fittings supplied.

How many miles have you put on it?

it's done just over 1300 miles since i finished the build.  I did have the chain adjuster issue which may have induced a bit of heat into things, think i will look at trying to fit double row bearings if there is space.

any tips on getting the pinion shaft nut off???  tried heat and a 1.5m bar but the thing wouldn't move at all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users