thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Local Club: none yet

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

well a day of mixed fortunes today.

got all the wet sanding done  removed all the dirty masking and wheeled the wee man oot the garage

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

and got the floor swept and mopped, all the old polythene down and put fresh new stuff up and done the ceiling too.

IMG_3135.jpg

but when i was moving all the stuff out i managed to drop the fothermucking boot lid!!!!! it now has a nice dent in it and some gravel rash!!!! bell end!!!

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

so i will have to get the hammer and dolly out again!!!! i will get the roof painted tomorrow then worry about the boot later. 

I'm planning on masking up and painting roof tomorrow then  mask roof and paint the body day after, then its back to work for a few days then i will sort the boot and paint that and the doors at same time.

Edited by thespikeyone, 21 September 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#122 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:28 PM

well a day of mixed fortunes today.

got all the wet sanding done  removed all the dirty masking and wheeled the wee man oot the garage

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

and got the floor swept and mopped, all the old polythene down and put fresh new stuff up and done the ceiling too.

IMG_3135.jpg

but when i was moving all the stuff out i managed to drop the fothermucking boot lid!!!!! it now has a nice dent in it and some gravel rash!!!! bell end!!!

IMG_3136.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

so i will have to get the hammer and dolly out again!!!! i will get the roof painted tomorrow then worry about the boot later. 

I'm planning on masking up and painting roof tomorrow then  mask roof and paint the body day after, then its back to work for a few days then i will sort the boot and paint that and the doors at same time.

Ouch, I feel for you with the boot lid.

#123 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

got the roof painted, took a bit longer than expected because i got a run in the basecoat so had to let it dry and sand it back.  anyway first time i have ever painted and im pretty happy with the finish off the gun.  a bit of orange peel and some dust in it but that should vanish when i colour sand and buff it.

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

#124 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 04:22 PM

Well done it looks good. Bet you are pleased to finally get some colour down after all the prep work

#125 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:00 PM

Well done it looks good. Bet you are pleased to finally get some colour down after all the prep work

Yeah sure am.  looking forward to getting the whole thing painted 

#126 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

well i'm starting to think if i didn't have bad luck I would have no luck at all!!!!

so yesterday i thought i would crack on and get the shell painted so cleaned everything tag ragged it all and started painting.  Basecoat went on ok, a few big bitsof dust in it but i de-nibbed them out and everything was looking really good.  mixed up my clear and put on a nice thin tack coat then loads of flies decided to come visit and park their annoying wee arses on pretty much every panel!!!!! so i attempted to fish one or two out but failed miserably so decided to leave it to dry and sand them out.

today i sanded them out but because it was only a very thin coat of 2k clear I had to sand into the base, got it all flattened back, cleaned and tack ragged, sprayed a coat of basecoat on and it has reacted and gone like crocodile skin!!!!  I've tried to fix some of it with little success  so will leave it overnight to dry out a bit more and hopefully get further with it tomorrow, failing that i will put a match to it!!  Oh no photos because i dropped my phone!!!!!! 

#127 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:38 PM

Crikey, I wouldn't have thought it was warm enough to get load of flies or is it the dreaded midgie?

FS

#128 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 06:53 PM

Crikey, I wouldn't have thought it was warm enough to get load of flies or is it the dreaded midgie?

FS

there were flies midgies, daddy long legs the lot!!!!

#129 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

As I am waiting until next week to paint the body again i decided to flat and compound the roof.  wet sanded it down to 2000 then got the polisher out with 3M fast cut plus and green 3M pad.

IMG_1242.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

pretty happy with results there are still a couple of scratches in it so might need another going over before polishing it but that can wait until i get the rest painted.

#130 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:03 AM

fair play with the paint and polish, looks great

#131 jonlad

jonlad

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

looks great, what paint are you using?

My mini will be my first attempt at painting - once i finish all the welding! I hope it looks as good as yours!

#132 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

looks great, what paint are you using?

My mini will be my first attempt at painting - once i finish all the welding! I hope it looks as good as yours!

the colours are vw black magic and vw candy white, Jawel polyester basecoat and upol 2080 HS clearcoat (2k)

the only advice i can give you is make sure the prep is done right.  as boring as it is, that is what makes your paint job.

#133 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Look at the shiny shiny (Finally!!!!)  :highfive:  

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

#134 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:59 PM

stuck oor wullie in a bag and chucked him ootside for the day

IMG_1253.jpg

welcome to the hanging gardens of mini bits. i'm sure i could charge at the door and claim this to be modern art

IMG_1248.jpg

got the rest of the white bits painted today

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Got a bit greedy with the third coat of clear so managed to get runs in pretty much every panel!!!! hey ho nothing that can't be sanded out.  should get round to wet sanding in a week or so.

got the rest of the white bits painted today

#135 thespikeyone

thespikeyone

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:13 PM

spent the last couple of days flatting back and sanding the run out, then today i got the buffer out and got to compounding.  There are a few little imperfections in it but i think i will just have to live with it and remember it was the first time painting  and it was done in a garage!!!

pics.

IMG_3154.jpg

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users