#46 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Local Club: Charnwood Minis

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

Sorry for the recent silence! I've been waiting on a new clutch.

So recently I've changed the clutch, put a new water pump on, fixed a rather large fuel leak coming from under the tank, and changed the carb to an HIF44.

Oh and started to re-green the silly thing! looks so much better in photos than it does close up :) 

Wheels return within 2 weeks! getting very excited, does anyone know where I can get 12" Yoko A539 tyres? everywhere is out of stock! 

DSC_1761_zps49d3e7e0.jpg

#47 sean552uk

sean552uk

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:01 PM

not sure how much they normally cost but theres a company on ebay selling them......

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2185wt_1255

#48 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

They're usually £53 a tyre so that's extortion!

#49 ShaunaFTW

ShaunaFTW

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Sorry for the recent silence! I've been waiting on a new clutch.

So recently I've changed the clutch, put a new water pump on, fixed a rather large fuel leak coming from under the tank, and changed the carb to an HIF44.

Oh and started to re-green the silly thing! looks so much better in photos than it does close up :) 

Wheels return within 2 weeks! getting very excited, does anyone know where I can get 12" Yoko A539 tyres? everywhere is out of stock! 

DSC_1761_zps49d3e7e0.jpg

I hope you didn't leave your wipers like that while they were off! I'm so jealous, would love a clubby.

#50 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:33 PM

I had to move the wiper motor to replace metal in the inner wing to sure up the shock mounting so I think that moved them! 

She's a little bugger at the moment! Still giving major grief, now over the clutch. I replaced the clutch plate, but she still won't disengage, so a new master cylinder to be fitted tomorrow. Finished up all the bodywork and just giving her a quick lick of paint now. The engines now running relatively sweetly, well idles like a bugger but revs! 

Just electrical gremlins and the clutch are keeping her off the road. That and the lack of tyres for my beautiful wheels.

#51 malcs_miniturbo

malcs_miniturbo

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

This is looking cool.I just had to replace the clutch master cylinder on my blaze gt due to it being sat but works a treat now

#52 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

I likes this! What a lovely little noise it makes.  :proud:

I've also been hankering after challenge wheels for my GT, so when you get bored of yours, please courier them to me, thankings. Oh, and paint them gold. Thangsveymush.

#53 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

I likes this! What a lovely little noise it makes.  :proud:

I've also been hankering after challenge wheels for my GT, so when you get bored of yours, please courier them to me, thankings. Oh, and paint them gold. Thangsveymush.

I'm not even sure what's making it pop and crackle, but I'm very happy it does! 

If you like a bit of a crackle I've got it running up to temp and gave it a little more throttle.

This was before I'd tuned it properly so it idles like a pig but picks up nicely, running much better now. :)

Oh you are funny, sadly they're currently being powder-coated silver! so I'm assuming you don't want them anymore?

I've been after a set for 4 years, my uncle had a black GT back in the day with a set and it looked the nuts so I've been chasing a set ever since! 

So quick update, so the clutch issues I've been having have been treated by a new master cylinder, she now moves under her own steam!

I've treated all the rust, and welded up the arch holes on the passenger side, just awaiting paint! 

DSC_1790_zps26620c71.jpg

Now apart from the clutch, the most horrible job was the wiring! after hours of running around with a voltmeter, let there be light!

DSC_1811_zps536dad1a.jpg

before someone points it out I'm aware the drivers sidelight doesn't work, it's a blown blub I haven't got round to changing it yet. It'll be done post haste! 

DSC_1809_zpsc0957fe2.jpg

DSC_1816_zpsf504f450.jpg

My favourites were this inline fuse repair, and the rear indicators wired to the reversing lights!

DSC_1817_zpsea12ad64.jpg

Edited by 72clubman, 13 August 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#54 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

So after fixing all the electrical faults I moved onto the brakes, the fronts are brilliant with what appear to be new disks and pads, well new 14 years ago. So moving onto the rears they were terrible. Cylinders completely siezed, the drums horrible and no pads, oh and the backplates had some lovely rust holes. So I came to the conclusion this was the best option.

fb275008-34bc-44c2-ac33-e2215994745c_zps

#55 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 11:44 PM

My latest hoard...
DSC_1909_zps18cb6484.jpg

#56 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Now thats got some stance!

DSC_1933_zps81ab800d.jpg

DSC_1927_zpsde40cc27.jpg

#57 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

unless i missed it, why did you fit the exhaust in one piece and not seperate the manifold from the system?

otherwise, teh car looks great and i love those wheels, i assume they are made by GKN? they are very similar to some used on early mk1 metro challenge cars

#58 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

Hi, the exhaust had been previously installed in the early 90s in another car, and despite my efforts would not separate. Hence the full installation. The wheels are indeed GKN, these are the Silverstones, very similar to the metro ones but with a deeper dish to the centre

#59 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:28 AM

Now thats got some stance!

DSC_1933_zps81ab800d.jpg

DSC_1927_zpsde40cc27.jpg

this looks the business with those bad boy tyres on! Love it haha!

#60 72clubman

72clubman

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

Glad you like the tyres, I think they're hilarious I've almost got them to fit, They don't rub on 3 wheels! haha

So the order of the day was the rear suspension and brakes! After buying new backplates it seemed silly to re-use the old nasty drums, and I've always fancied a pair of these. :)

DSC_1966_zps39884c39.jpg

The passenger side appears to have had a reconed arm so just a good check, re-grease and new rubbers.

The drivers side was another matter.

The brake pipe that bolts to the bracket on the radius arm was a complete arse to get off, and I think the reason this side wasn't changed!

The rubber had spilt allowing this to happen. So if you notice this rubber is damaged, leave it at your own peril! 

DSC_1962_zps9f53d439.jpg

The roller-bearings and bronzed bush appeared to be in good nick, so again all the old grease was removed, re-greased and a new pinion installed with new thrust washers and rubbers.

DSC_1964_zps0ca1d6ab.jpg

So that was my efforts today! I shall leave you with my latest under-bonnet bling to match my exhuast :)

Joe

DSC_1969_zps5d0bd03a.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clubman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users