36 replies to this topic

#1 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:59 PM

good....well by the time i've written this morning probly.

anayway. decided to paint my El Gordo a bit to get rid og the patches of rust and the black spary paint i used when i 1st sorted some holes. being a rather old El Gordo (1982 Austin Mini HL) i'm exspectine a fair bit of work in sanding to get rid of the old paint and rust. i plan to do about a foot and a half skirt kinda thiong. basical from the top of the arches on the front to the top of the arches on the back so the bit inbeween is coloured.......i think that makes sence......basicly a skirt of perhpas dark blue paint around the bottom of my car.

now then, being skint.......and a student. i think the most cost effective option would be to brush paint my car with paint. i decided on hammerite too as it suppost to be good (is it????) just want to know what else i'm going to need and if its a particular good idea.

i know the finish won't be great but.........sod it. my car. i decide how it looks :D eveyone keep telling me to change my lovely little car *mubles off on a rant* and another thing!!!........sorry family keeps trying to make me either get rid of my car or have lots of work done on it. just sligtly annying. anayway....were was i.

oh yes.

so i am getting a tin of hammerite tommorw. i think dark blue. got a little sander to get rid of the paint and the rust in patches. got a bit of white spirit and a paint brush. is there anything else i might need. also tips would be nice.

Thank you!

#2 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts
  • Local Club: South Central

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

masking tape???? get your line dead straight!!

if you do decide to repaint later on, hamerite is a total *Female doggy* to get back to metal.

#3 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:27 AM

really.....why that then. dose it just clog up paper like mad.

#4 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

yikes!!! hammerite!!! god luck mate. :-

seriously though, i wish you every luck... and would love to see some pics when it's done.. the problem with hammerite is that it doesn't flex at all... so it may well flake rather easily on the shell.. but, not having done painted onto a shell with hammerite as a top coat.... i can't tell what'll happen.

hmmmm, have you considered using spray hammerite?? comes in cans, about 6.99 i think, might give you a nicer finsh. though hammerite does smooth off when drying doesn't it.

hope it goes well mate. :D post up some pics of progress like, sanded down, painted, etc.!!!!

nearly finished preppeing mine for me to respray her!!! woo!

ooh, and white spirit is rubbish at cleaning hammerite off brushes.... and it leaves a greasy residue which... i would've thought even hammerite wont want to adhere to! wipe over the panels you've sanded with purple meths before you paint, it is a very nice degreaser and completely evaporates leaving no residue behind!. just smells a bit lol.

#5 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

what. dosen't flex.......grrr..........its all going to flak off then. i mean ts going on the doors and i really can't afford to spray the side of my car.

sods. guess thats out the window. cheap can of black piant it is then.

edit

second thoughts. anyone know any good brush on paint. as i can't afford to do alot of spraying....as it costs more

#6 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:29 AM

I'm gonna be using it on the front bulkhead under the flip front, i only want to do this rebuild once. so i will get it all back to the essentials, replaceing flitch panels and doing all the welding, then a few thin coats of black hammerite or similar rust inhibiting paint and waxoyl in all the holes so tinworm won't be an issue for a while. it's called hammerite because it gives the appearance of a hammered finish to the paint. i have seen cars painted in hammerite before.... you might be better off with smoothrite (now hammerite smooth i think) but i don't think i'd ever use it on the outside....

i think my brother did it once with the only mini he ever owned, a rusty blue mayfair... him and dad painted the front panel under the headlights and did the similar stripe to you along the sides in the illusion that this would repair the fact that the doors were missing half an inch off the bottom.... if the car is nearing the end of its life then it may buy you some extra time, if you plan on resto, son't do it.

#7 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

what do you mean "buy extra time" i just got rust on the sides i want to repaint. i'm a skint student so full restro is out of the question.

i just want to sort the rust on the side.

:'(

edit

right. so hammerite then hammed looking stuf is bad. didn't want a hammed look tho, will the satin or smooth finish be alright then????

#8 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

There has to be a more cost effective way of painting a car on the cheap than brushing on hammerite. Post us a couple of pics with the areas that will need treatment highlighted so we can get some idea of the amount of area we're talking about, and maybe give you some other suggestions.

#9 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:53 PM

mmmmm.......kinda a problem ther. don't have a digi cam.

SO i "borrow" this image from google. sorry it it belongs to anyone here.

Posted Image
my mini is basicaly identical apart from mine's blue.

were i have rust i rougthly higlighted. what there at the mo is a mix of rust, body sealent, and black spray paint.

#10 Pavel

Pavel

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

You can paint it with a combination of brush/roller with any outdoor enamel really. Will give a nice durable finish and won't fade quickly (I used Sadolin "Sadolux" enamel to paint a spare parts clubman a few years ago, left it in a field since then, still fine and bright). These paints are quite glossy and its easy to get a 20-foot finish from them. Cheap as chips too (something like a fiver a litre, cheaper if you buy more).

#11 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

still think i'll go with the hammerite smooth finnish stuff. cost a bit but i've never heard of Sadolin Sadolux that and my dad recconds hammerite.

but the roller seems like a good idea. cheers.

#12 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:32 PM

jesus! I thought you were gonna paint the whole car! Get a big can of primer from halfords, and couple of spray cans and do it properly. Two will easily cover that area. if you go to a proper car paint factors, they'll be able to match it using the cards they have, and all you'll have to so is a little bit of wet sanding, some t-cutting (although please use something else!) and a quick polish. Bobs your aunties husband! even taking into account you don't own any old t-shirts to polish with, you still wont be down more than £30. (and if you can't get that, how on earth do you put petrol in it!?)

And it'll look about 4 billion times better than brushed on hammerite!

#13 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:58 PM

30 quid.........30 QUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats alot for me. i'd rather spend £15 do the sides and a little more. don't car about colour matching. just want it to look better than the rust and black paint and blue i currently have.

(also i normaly put maybe £5 in evey now and then.)

so brushed smooth blue it is then, VIVA LA BODGE JOB. VIVA LA HAMMERITE SMOOTH BLUE!

#14 biggav

biggav

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

Having been in your position many times before, its much better, and far more rewarding to save up and do it properly. i'm on my 15th Mini, i even had a brand new cooper sport pack in 1996... Failure to prepare is preparing to fail... this time, i have no budget limit and i am building the car of my dreams using all the knowledge i have built up over the years... and calling in favours from friends who helped in the past... and paying proffesionals where neccesary.

I'll even paypal you £15 if you promise to try and do it properly and post the pics afterwards. anyone else willing to donate a couple of quid to get this car done half rite????

#15 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:41 PM

right. thats it. sod it.

i sodding fed up of everyone in my faily and now here telling what the hell to do to my car. its my car. i like the fact its fairly ugly. i like the fact that theirs oil on basiclay evey surface. i like the funky smell in my car. i like the fact i have no sterio. i like my seats looking scummy. i like the fact i haven;t washed my car in the 6 or 7 odd months that i've had it. i also like the fact the one headlight dosne't work right and the electricas are temrimental. i like that my car's heater dosen't turn off. i like that car is full of tools.

IT MY SODDING CAR. I'LL KEEP IT THE WAY I LIKE IT.

i simply wanted to paint my car. cheaply to make it look a little better. i wanted to know if i would need anything else. but no now your all telling me to do it a diffrent "better" way. that may be fine for your own cars. but this isn't your car. i don't want money or tools. i just wanted advice. i'm sick of eveyone trying to do stuff to my car. i want it left it to my hands only. i don't need sealents from my uncle. spot welding from my brothers friend or any other sort of help unless i exspressly ask for it. the only time that happens is when somthing go's very badly wrong.

and the only time it has.....the only time my car has gone spectaiculy wrong in recent months was a starter problem. and my mechanic lenny told me what to do rather than do it himeself. thats all i want. tell me how to do it. not sodding what to do. i can stand it anymore. people always trying to change my car or help. i don't need it.

this has been winding me up for months from family and friend and i can bloody stand it anymore. so i'm painting my car in hammerite and it will look good engouht for me and my car. so what if no one else like it. no their car. so it shoulden't concern them. have people keep wining about my car "its dirty" or " not very good looking is it" then they still exspect a life. :D this hass :w00t: me right off now. :angel: :angel: :w00t: going to have to go away now. this has :xxx: right :xxx: me off now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users