36 replies to this topic

#16 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:48 PM

i decided on hammerite too as it suppost to be good (is it????) just want to know what else i'm going to need and if its a particular good idea... is there anything else i might need? also tips would be nice.

You asked :D

#17 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:55 PM

Wow!

You came to us asking for advice and this is what we get.

Your uncle's not allowed to help you with sealer, yet your dad can advise you to use hammerite. Pavel can advise you on a better brushable paint, but that gets ignored. I can advise you on spray paint, but that gets ignored. Your bruvs friend can help you with welding, but that gets sworn at.

Tell you what, "it's your sodding car, you keep your car the way you like". Maybe the engine'll go and you'll know where not to ask advice as we will probably not be able to advise you without getting sworn at.

Man, you have problems!

#18 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:59 PM

ok ok. i flew off the handel and i sorry for this. but it just gets annoying when eveyone keeps doing it. i'm a strange person and don't like people to physicaly help me with things.

i just wanted advice. which i got and thank you all for.

got a few things happening at the moument that are weright on my mind a bit. it all got a bit much. i'm very sorry to anyone i have offended.

#19 AlexM

AlexM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local Club: NMOC, ECMC

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:13 AM

Chill adam.

Pikey7's idea is a good one. And the sence of achievement will be good.

Up to you though. Either way, would be good to see the finished result.

El Gordo has character though, and i certainly didn't think he was ugly, maybe a little sorry looking, but definately a cool car, he might appreciate you tidying him up a little. :D

#20 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hmmm, just noticed this. In compliance with your request I'm not going to offer any 'advice', that and the fact I don't have *any...

There aren't many people on this forum that will help you with a bodge job. We are all mini enthusiasts and we look kindly upon those who try to get their minis in the best possible way.

I'm not sure how you expect to deal with rust just by hammeriting over the top.

Having said all that I'm not going to be massively hypocritical! :angel: :w00t: When I got the Volvo for the Race to Africa we wanted to make it look like the Ghostbusters car as cheap as possible. We got Dulux once emulsion and used rollers. We used sand paper over the existing blue paint to provide a key for the emulsion, and with two coats we got a pretty decent job, especially for a few hours work over two nights. Unfortunately we did ours late evening, so we got bubbles where the paint was too cold, and also it flaked a bit where we hadn't sandpapered too well. Apart from that I was proud of the finish. So my advice, use emulsion instead, it may not be your beloved Hammerite, but it tried and tested. Also think about using rollers instead, easy to get a nice even smooth finish and you won't get brush marks! :D

#21 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:57 PM

hmmm.....good point jammy_basturd about the enthusiasts thing.

again i am sorry about my rant. just alot going on. i'll leave it at that tho.

anyway. i have already started. still using hammerite and the paints a lighter blue than mine but i don't mind too much. got rid of some/most of the rust so far and filled a few holes in. going to go see how the test patches look.

i will try to get some pics of when its done as i don't have a digi cam so i have to ask my uncle to borrow his.

edit

oh bugger, have to drive my dad's rover to get about. nooooo. its evil. power steering and auto box. and its too big.

#22 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:30 PM

mmmm :w00t:

asks for advise then does it the way he intended, originally, anyway... he he he

anger management methinks???? :D

#23 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

mmmm :w00t:

asks for advise then does it the way he intended, originally, anyway... he he he

anger management methinks???? :D

i had a shrink once. he didn't work. eveyone in a while i just have to either destroy somthing or rant about it. last year i destroyed my garage just beacse no one cleaned up but me. that was fun..................oh well mental problems all the way.

#24 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

Fruitier than

Posted Image

Nuttier than

Posted Image

:w00t: :angel: :angel:

:D

#25 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

YEY!!!! Opal fruits! Not fapping Starburst! >:D

#26 beemerduck

beemerduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:49 PM

YEY!!!! Opal fruits! Not fapping Starburst! >:w00t:

yeh .. i agree, bloody irritating... the looks you get in the local spa when you ask for a Marathon !! :D

#27 bert998

bert998

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

bit late now but any one interested in painting their car on the cheap should definately check this out :D

http://www.volkszone...ighlight=roller

#28 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:28 PM

thats bloody incredible! i think that hammerite is the equivalent of rustoleum. i reckon i may have a crack at that in the back of my van, where it dont matter so much. the finish on that charger is awesome

#29 Big_Adam

Big_Adam

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:36 PM

one side done. hopefuly get some pics soon. might give it a bit of t cut or somthing to smooooth it all out a bit. still looking better than the mix of blue black and rust. yummy.

#30 Clubby1275GT

Clubby1275GT

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Local Club: Birmingham Mini Owners Club / Bruuuums Mini's

Posted 03 May 2006 - 11:06 AM

just think, if you would have washed it through that 7 month period and given it a little Chamois, it may not have rusted, gets rid of all the salt n grit that unforunately rot your car!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users