Damn! THAT'S what I'm talking about! 

#18 kjwithers

kjwithers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

That is an excellent idea! I removed my sound deadening in the winter and just snapped off, would be a nightmare in the summer, it'll just bend

#19 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

I saw the 126 a week ago on youtube, its VERY cool and it certainly spurs me on, I now have a clutch from an MGB sebring that fits the type 9 box that im going to use the centre of it for the splined adapter to go from bike engine to front of the type 9 box. Im currently awaiting a quote for someone sandblasting the whole shell before i start messing about with the shell but they are dragging their feet. I am still in need of a diff with shafts and prop, ratios from 2.9-3.25 will do just fine if anyone knows of anything. Also a splined UJ propshaft end for the back of the type 9 box and a gear lever for the type 9.

I have managed to source a KA wiring harness with fusebox and everything that im going to strip back and use in the mini (it was FREE so its saves me making my own loom again from scratch) and i think over the next few weekends i should be able to get the RSV engine position roughed up to see what kind of angle im going to have on the front prop.

(Ive been busy this week sorting out my fireblade (She is now fitted with Mikuni RS34 flatslide carbs, to help her breathe better lol)

#20 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Ive beeen So tempted to do something with my rsv,taking notes!

#21 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

The most major issue I can foresee at the moment after taking measurements and roughly overlaying those to a (roughly) scaled image of a mini front on is: To line up the gearbox output shaft on the RSV motor to the existing centre tunnel it will put the "Front" (as sitting on the bike) head and exhaust downpipe VERY close to the passenger wheel and tyre when at full lock, and i also think i am going to have to modify the RSV intake and fab up a manifold that sits the throttle bodies horizontal into the Miglia style bulkhead space to allow me to still use an air box (A modified cut down and reshaped RSV one). So I may need to look at enlarging the front of the tunnel slightly to all me to compromise the engine positioning to a more central one in the bay for better weight distribution, but that would mean moving the engine forwards slightly to reduce the angle the front prop would be running at. I don’t foresee it being a MAJOR hassle just something to seriously think about with regards to handling VS longevity VS practicality.

#22 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Common rsv mod is to make the airbox bigger so shouldn't be a prob

#23 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Happy days....I just hope the RSV is not as finicky as my fireblade with regards to airflow, I've recently streetfightered my fireblade and am having HUGE issues with rideability at part throttle with surging and hesitation rife. I did get a nice set of RS34 Mukuni flatslide carbs for it but they don't fit inside the frame width of the blade (Rubbing both sides!) so im going to have to gut the std airbox and use a factory pro style air filter kit with 140 main jets....not what i wanted to do due to fuel economy but the noise should be ace.

#24 ginsters

ginsters

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Short Ram air pipes should sort that

#25 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

The blade as standard doesn't have ram air, its a still air system and the airbox intakes are situated behind the headstock in a nice still air zone created by the standard fairing. Ive removed the fairings and its causing the problems. I have tried shortening the air intake pipes on the std airbox but it makes the problem worse. So i think im going to completely block off the air pipes at the front of the airbox and drill a load of 1" holes in the rear of the airbox and see how that affects things, then progress onto a factory pro style airbox setup with the intake pipes cut off completely, innards of the airbox gutted and just running 2 large bore foam filters and 140 main jets.

#26 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

For differential, I would use a freelander diff it has a ratio of 3.21 which much more suited to the bike engined cars with small wheels, it's about the lightest normal diff you can get easily. Regarding the propshafts you would need to get them custom made to suit your application.

The trick with anything bike engined is to keep it as light as possible for maximun performance and drivetrain reliability

Cheers

David

#27 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Ill be fabbing up my own prop, centred in the lathe turning at VERY low rpm as i tig weld it up, same with the driveshafts.

Ive been looking at the freelander diffs, but the problem with them id they seem to be fetching a lot of money as a lot of the kit car boys want them. Wheras i can get hold of a BMW diff, shafts and prop off my drifting mates from their spares piles. But you are right the 3.21 ratio would be great, i could make do with an MX5 one with 3.65 ratio as ive got the overdrive from the 5th gear in the sierra box, but that would only give me a cruise in overdrive of approx 80mph at 7-8000 rpm which is a bit high for daily use as its would only be geared for 130mph at max rpm. Wheras the freelander and BMW diffs i can drop 80mph down to approx 6000 rpm as it would be on the bike so its more tolerable.

#28 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

I have also located and am trying to aquire a Suzuki VX800 shaft drive output (Off the gearbox) and the small prop shaft that goes with it. That once modified to fit the RSV motor (If feasible, once i get it and assess it properly) will allow me to mount the engine lonitudinally, giving me better weight distribution, more space to play with and  greater flexibility with future scope (eg. Turbo, second engine etc etc etc). Also it looks like the sandblaster may take a while longer than expected so progress is non-existant so far except for planning the running gear and powerplant setup around the parts i currently have, its quite nice to be able to lay it all out next to the mini to see things like second gear lever position vs seating position and rear seat feasibility etc.

#29 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have also located and am trying to aquire a Suzuki VX800 shaft drive output (Off the gearbox) and the small prop shaft that goes with it. That once modified to fit the RSV motor (If feasible, once i get it and assess it properly) will allow me to mount the engine lonitudinally, giving me better weight distribution, more space to play with and  greater flexibility with future scope (eg. Turbo, second engine etc etc etc). Also it looks like the sandblaster may take a while longer than expected so progress is non-existant so far except for planning the running gear and powerplant setup around the parts i currently have, its quite nice to be able to lay it all out next to the mini to see things like second gear lever position vs seating position and rear seat feasibility etc.

It would be a massive challenge getting the vx800 shaft drive assembly to fit your engine, the tolerances between gears are extremely fine and the mounting/housing is completely different to a chain driven bike. Even if you can fit the shaft drive asembly to your engine the direction of the drive will now be reversed meaning all sorts of problems with a differential

With your original idea there is no problem running the propshaft at a small angle to get get extra clearance to the passenger wheel, the bike engined lotus lookalikes do it all the time

Cheers

David

#30 stevenford_uk

stevenford_uk

1 Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Progress Update:

I now have my Diff, 1 of my propshafts, type E ford gearbox, RSV motor and all reqd equip for it to run and steel is on order for frames etc.

I am going to try and get the diff trial position sorted this week whislt im waiting for my steel to be delivered. Once the steel is delivered ill be making an A-Frame and then cutting the front bulkhead & rear bulkhead & floorpan. The engine position should be ready to test in a few weeks once ive got the basis for a front subby in place. Ill get a pic up shortly of the drivetrain layout.

Diff is from a BMW528I SE 3.07:1 ratio & LSD as is the rear prop, gearbox is from an early sierra and is a 4 speed Type E.

If anyone can help out i need a gear lever for said gearbox and either a propshaft to suit it or just the slipyoke that fits the output shaft of the gearbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users