7 replies to this topic

#1 huw_jenks

huw_jenks

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi folks, hope you don't mind me trying to get some answers for my machine on here, but the Metro forums tend to be a bit quiet and I know how much expertise there is on TMF so....

1990 MG Metro 1275, totally standard.

I'm having difficulty engaging gear, mostly on first and reverse. When the engine is hot it nearly always crunches going into reverse. Idle speed is nice and low and I'm pushing the clutch pedal right into the carpet. I'm wondering if the clutch is properly disengaging, the throw-out adjustment is correct, but I'm not sure what else I can check. The main difference from the Mini is that I have a clutch cable, not a hydraulic system. Last winter the cable snapped and I replaced it with a new 'self adjusting' cable. A mechanic suggested to me that the cable's don't always self adjust, but offered no further information (because I didn't ask, as at the time there wasn't a problem). The Haynes manual says that I should dismantle the pedal box, but doesn't say why or what I should be checking or what I might need to replace, so I'm in no rush to do that having had experience with things like clevis pins before.

So, any of you nice people have an idea of what I need to do next? Would be much appreciated.

Huw

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

Does it have difficulty in engaging those gears when the engines off? If not it sounds like clutch drag and could well be inside the clutch assembly or the cables not adjusting correctly.

Do you have a lot of travel before it takes up? or bite low down if so it points towards not throwing enough

#3 huw_jenks

huw_jenks

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Does it have difficulty in engaging those gears when the engines off? If not it sounds like clutch drag and could well be inside the clutch assembly or the cables not adjusting correctly.

Do you have a lot of travel before it takes up? or bite low down if so it points towards not throwing enough

Thanks for the reply. The gears engage as normal when the engine is off. The bite point is very close to the floor. If the cable isn't correctly adjusted do I need to somehow adjust it manually or do I have a dodgy cable?

It's getting quite difficult to engage first now, so any ideas are much appreciated!

#4 krusher74

krusher74

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:46 PM

That's the same as i had on my metro,although I hae a hydraulic system, i had a tiny leak and when the pedal sunk to the fllorlike your has it was ery hard to change gear.

Sounds like your cable has gone slack, sorry have no idea how they adjust though. 

#5 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

Check and see how the auto adjuster works ? it may have jumped or failed either way its not lifting by the looks of it.

#6 Huxley

Huxley

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I've got exactly the same problem with my mini which coincidentally has a 1275 metro engine(doubt that has any significance though).

I thought it would need a gearbox rebuild but it looks like clutch adjustment, I need to do more digging but if anyone's reading this and would like 

to give me the advice I would really appreciate it.

#7 Mrpeanut

Mrpeanut

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Local Club: Wessex MOC

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Same issue too! Would like to know the fix.

#8 Huxley

Huxley

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Local Club: GMOC

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:44 PM   Best Answer

Clutch adjusted, smooth again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users