#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sad to hear that the Mk1 Performance website and forum may disappear as a valuable early Mini resource on 1st October unless a buyer is found...... :(

http://mk1-forum.net....php?f=5&t=7607

If you are interested in becoming the owner of this very successful, highly rated site & all it's content, please contact Mark direct on [email protected]

If a buyer can't be found, the MK1 Site & Forum will cease to operate from 1st October 2013

http://mk1-performan...k/mk1_index.htm

Edited by mab01uk, 03 July 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#2 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Trying to cash in on a passion is the first thing he is doing wrong in my eyes. You can't open a community and build a loyal base of regular posters and then threaten to close just because you've lost interest. 

With the way TMF has evolved over the years it would have been closed many times if they took the same approach

#3 Davethepioneer

Davethepioneer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'd rather start my own up if I was wanting something like this. In fact why would someone pay when they can just wait for it to close and then open a new Mk1 website. Granted they have lots of pictures etc but as proven by TMF it's not just about that. Just my opinion really but good luck with it.

#4 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Just sent a message to ask how much is he selling the forum for?

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:09 PM

Mark is a great guy and has genuine reasons.........his website and forum is a lot more than just pictures. It would take years to build again from scratch and lots of the archive material he and others have shared for free is rare and valuable as a resource for early Mini owners and enthusiasts.

Edited by mab01uk, 03 July 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#6 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

I get that but he still did it through passion for like minded enthusiasts. We're a bunch of people that all love the same little car, I think if you do something like that you do it through love of which I know Mark has a lot of for the Mini... sharing the love and history for many years to come, for future generations to enjoy, giving the forum away to somebody who is in the time of their life to maintain such a wonderful archive (I know I'd be more than willing to, but would I pay money? No) is the best thing to do I think.

Or you could sulk it all away and just dispose of it because nobody offered you a reasonable sum of money for it... just seems a tad silly to me.

I saw a similar thing done by a member of the Mainstream Cooper register leaving Darryl with many hours of hard work gone, without a warning. It's a selfish thing to do I think. It takes the people providing resource, data and information to build a somewhat successful archive such as the Mk1 Performance website.

Edited by Mini-Mad-Craig, 03 July 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#7 WMU 211G

WMU 211G

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

With all due respect, I don't think Mark is being silly or selfish at all, he's just fed up to the back teeth with having to deal with people who are sucking the will and passion out of him to carry on with it. Can't blame him either, and I don't see it as 'cashing in', since he's put so much time and energy into it I'd say he's perfectly entitled to get something back for it. What started out as a hobby has became a chore which is very sad - if it does disappear I for one will certainly miss it.

#8 mk1coopers

mk1coopers

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'm sorry but Marks not doing this for profit, he has spent countless hours building a free resource and forum that he has funded himself for many years, he's now in the sad situation where running it is more of a problem than an interest, all caused by some people getting into public slagging matches then blaming the site / Mark / whoever for not siding with them / liking them ect, it's a sad reflection of the financial values of some of the Minis out there now and what people are prepared to do to protect their 'investments'

I hope it continues, but can any of you say that you would keep doing something you don't enjoy anymore?, at least he has offered the opportunity to someone willing to take everything over rather than just hit the off button, and again most people are not in the habit of giving things away if they have a value, that's just common sense

#9 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

Merge with TMF???

If everyone who was a regular on here put a quid in we could buy the site, give the poor chap some money for his hard work, and we could have an awsome section dedicated to Mk1s!!:D

Thoughts?

#10 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Merge with TMF???
If everyone who was a regular on here put a quid in we could buy the site, give the poor chap some money for his hard work, and we could have an awsome section dedicated to Mk1s!!:D
Thoughts?

I would be up for that, sounds like a good idea

#11 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

I was going to mention merging it with TMF as maybe a sub-section too. Depending on the cost it may be that it could be sucked up by the TMF+ membership fees?

#12 Old Bob

Old Bob

TMF Menber Passed On R.I,P

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I have bought - and sold - a few websites.  They are valued just like any other business i.e. how much do they make?  I can't see any sign that that forum has been monetized, so the only value is what a potential future owner thinks he/she could do with it.

To be profitable, a site needs lots of visitors.  No sign that the forum is well supported at all.

Just my take.

Bob

#13 JacckKirk

JacckKirk

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

to be honest if he's just going to close it if a buyer isnt found why not give it to TMF as a sub section then at least all the hard work and information is saved ,
Off course itd be better if he could sell it

Just an idea if they dont want to buy it

#14 rally515

rally515

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Merge with TMF???
If everyone who was a regular on here put a quid in we could buy the site, give the poor chap some money for his hard work, and we could have an awsome section dedicated to Mk1s!! :D
Thoughts?

I would be up for that, sounds like a good idea

Id give a fiver to that plan, although im not a IT wizard so not sure if its even possible haha

#15 willava182

willava182

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Merge with TMF???

If everyone who was a regular on here put a quid in we could buy the site, give the poor chap some money for his hard work, and we could have an awsome section dedicated to Mk1s!! :D

Thoughts?

I defiantly would!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users