11 replies to this topic

#1 lac1994

lac1994

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

How easy is it to replace a stub axle? I think its causing my rear drivers bearing is expire (happened twice in less than 100 miles).

Would it be best to leave it to a garage , if so, what will the damage be!?

Or is it possibly something else causing the same one to go over and over?

#2 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Hi Lac, if you're competent in replacing a wheel bearing then you should be fine replacing a stub axle.  The stub axles themselves just screw into the radius arm, however be aware that the threads are different between the LH & RH sides, also the RH, & LH stub axles are both different part numbers.  The only bugger is that sometimes the stub axles are tight to remove, a good soak overnight with some Plus-Gas and some quality locking mole grips should see it out

#3 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

Straight forward enough - If the stub axle is munched by a previous bearing episode then it will tend to cause any new bearing to go west as well.

#4 lac1994

lac1994

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Think its better just to do the radius arm in full? I thought it meant messing with the subframe too? Thanks guys

Luke

#5 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Depends if this is a hobby or real life....

If you have time then nice to rebuild the lot....both sides.

Sometimes it's difficult to know when to stop.

#6 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Check for play in the radius arms.

If there is none, then grease them up and just replace the parts that need replaced.

Whilst you're at it, strip and clean the brake adjuster!

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

Some poor advice here chaps.

The rear stub axles would be very difficult for even a very competent home mechanic to change without some impressive tooling.  They are not screwed in, they require a large press to remove and to re-instate them into the radius arm.  For 'home' repair rplace the arm - the bonus is you get nice new radious arm pin, bearing and bush too!

#8 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Some poor advice here chaps.

The rear stub axles would be very difficult for even a very competent home mechanic to change without some impressive tooling.  They are not screwed in, they require a large press to remove and to re-instate them into the radius arm.  For 'home' repair rplace the arm - the bonus is you get nice new radious arm pin, bearing and bush too!

Agreed, you'll not get them out with mole grips, but it doesn't preclude the arm being taken to have the stubs pressed out should the need arise.

It all depends what the home mechanic has in his workshop, and what is available locally - I halve a little porta-powa unit in my garage, and if I couldn't shift it with that, I have plenty of engineering shops close to home who would press in and out (for that matter I'd get them to make a new stub axle while they were at it).

To correctly reply to the OP - the job is straightforward, though you may need access to a press. You certainly do not need dedicated tooling to the the job.

#9 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Yes, the job is straight forward with the right equipment.

The OP is unlikley to have the right equipment, or be able to improvise, as chances are if he had he wouldn't have needed to ask the question. No offence to the OP, but to have that gear you'd be at a level of home mechanicing to have a good idea how to do the job.

So....

Buy the axle for £20. Strip the arm off to and find a locally friendly garage prepared to do the work (not always easy). Pay them £20 for the priveledge of pressing the axle out and the new one in (in the UK no-one doesn't anything for nothing now!) . Return home and put it back together.

Or...

Strip the arm off and replace it with an exchange arm for £45 (possibly less), do it in one sitting and have a fully refurbed arm in the process.

I know which I'd do.

(In fact having pressed a pair out before and knowing it doesn't go as smoothly as hoped, I'd definitely replace the arm!)

Edited by GraemeC, 05 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#10 petehuws

petehuws

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sorry chaps you're all correct.  Yes push/press fit for the stub axles on the mini, it was a Vauxhall nova wherein they twisted out, my mistake!!! 

Yes wherein they do come out of the radius arm, I'd probably be inclined to replace the complete radius arm/axle, replacing this as an assy' is not that big job.

Good luck!

#11 lac1994

lac1994

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks everyone , been a Great help. Knew the removal might have been hard, ill leave that bit to someone with a right tools, and powerful tools.

At least it's sunny this weekend

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

What's happening that makes you suspect the stub axle? I reckon you've got more chance of bending the arm than it. If the races are spinning you can get a loctite type fixative, though it would be obvious if they'd spun enough to write the axle off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users