stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

what have you got ? i'm looking at £40 a wheel to refurb them 

think i will take one along with us anyway so i can try a find some nuts that fit right and see if i need spacers too as these appear to have less dish than my current ones but are the same width 

....and i can show it off  =]

I turned up a mandrel out of ally at work, it fits in a drill so you can turn the wheels slowly. I then used emery cloth and special sand paper to sand the rims to get rid of kerbing marks. I then used wd40 and autusol with scotchbrite to polish them up. It took an age but worked well. I think it worked out about 8 hours per wheel in total. You are welcome to the mandrel and some of the special sandpapers if they are any use to you.

ooh i may borrow those in the near future thanks Clive if i decide to refurb them myself but it may be tricky to do my chrome/gold style 

Rhys

#17 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Depends how good you are at spraying, I am crap so it would look rubbish if I did it!

#18 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'm using some ones I had for my minilites as when I got the wheels I swapped them straight onto it so I could sell my old wheels but to be honest my clubman is pretty neglected at the m and doesn't move.
I'll upload the pics in a sec but its tapered not flat from what I can see (its awkwardly behind a load of stuff)

#19 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

Depends how good you are at spraying, I am crap so it would look rubbish if I did it!

might be worth a shot on the spare i guess  :proud:

I'm using some ones I had for my minilites as when I got the wheels I swapped them straight onto it so I could sell my old wheels but to be honest my clubman is pretty neglected at the m and doesn't move.
I'll upload the pics in a sec but its tapered not flat from what I can see (its awkwardly behind a load of stuff)

ahh right from pics i've seen they look flat, if they are tapered then hopefully it'll be the 60 degree standard and i can use my current ones. do the ones from your minilites fit/seat properly ? i have supalites atm (same as minilites) so this could be good news  :gimme:

might be on track for MITP if this is the case Clive

Rhys

#20 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

ahh right from pics i've seen they look flat, if they are tapered then hopefully it'll be the 60 degree standard and i can use my current ones. do the ones from your minilites fit/seat properly ? i have supalites atm (same as minilites) so this could be good news  :gimme:

Rhys

Rhys
Hope you have nice sticky rubber to go on them ;-)

#21 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hope you have nice sticky rubber to go on them ;-)

as long as the tyres that come with them aren't bald they'll do for the show lol i will get some decent shoes for them after the refurb though don't fret  ;D

#22 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

That's good, I plan to make use of the 048rs on the way to MITP, some nice roads between here and there. Is your test this Friday?

#23 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

That's good, I plan to make use of the 048rs on the way to MITP, some nice roads between here and there. Is your test this Friday?

sure is, pretty confident in my ability so hopefully i'll be chucking it round those nice roads  ;D

#24 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Fingers crossed for you mate, let me know how you get on :-)

#25 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

cheers Clive, will do 

if all goes to plan i'm looking to start building a 1152cc road beast over the next few months hoping to give 1275's run for their money...and the local corsas  ;D

#26 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Have a talk to Jay, his 1098 based motor is real quick and he built it for next to nothing.

#27 SlamDunc

SlamDunc

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Very nice indeed....I'm jealous!

#28 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Have a talk to Jay, his 1098 based motor is real quick and he built it for next to nothing.

interesting, i will have to do that  :shifty:

Jay and Marcus still at Tamworth Collage ? i start my day release there September so there'll be an A5 parking there soon  ;D

#29 littlemissmagic

littlemissmagic

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

20130727_180853_zpsa194cb3a.jpg

20130727_181609_zps4fe12214.jpg

Sorry for rubbish quality, its tapered inside but flat outside if that makes sense?
Sorry I'm not very technical, hopefully pics help. I can't really tell how well the wheel nuts I have fit because problem is my studs are wrong (extra long and I'm not having spacers/everything is currently set up wrong)

Edited by littlemissmagic, 27 July 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#30 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for that, by the looks of it they should just take 60 degree tapers which are the same as minilites with standard length studs

Cheers for your help :)

Rhys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users