#16 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:25 AM

I'm going to be doing this in the next few weeks but with a autometer speedo. I bought my sender from digital-speedos which have one for the mini. Be interesting to see how it goes.

#17 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:23 PM

the end of my speedo cable has a screw in type end so the unit screwed straight on it. you may need to fabricate something to get the sensor to stay on, maybe even it could be held with just electrical tape on.

also to get the male end to stay in the sensor there should be a grub screw which you tighten up with the small allen key.

if you have a pick of your speedo that would be cool

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I've spent most of my free time putting my work back together,  It is turning into a total nightmare.

The original cable which is obviously hanging out of the RHS of the day area has no internal thread - it's smooth metal.  I'll try and get a pic.  In reality I guess it does not need to look pretty - so long as the male doesn't spin within the female then I could get something to hold t all together - not sure about grub screw thing - the male isn't long enough to go completely through - hence the 'surgery' bit - I'm going out  there now to look again  - I'll get a pic.  Ta so far!

#18 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

here we go....

Attached Files

#19 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:04 AM

another angle

Attached Files

#20 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

I'm going to be doing this in the next few weeks but with a autometer speedo. I bought my sender from digital-speedos which have one for the mini. Be interesting to see how it goes.

Just tagging on to your post - are you getting replacement  cable from the mini gearbox? 

I'm (trying) to use the original sender and getting an adapter to go over the end (dash side) to then turn the signal digital.

I'm doing this due to 2 reasons:-

1) andy159 used a direct cable replacement and seemed to have a nightmare (ending up fitting it then refitting the old one)  and more importantly

2) Without failure - every post I have read about getting to the gearbox end and fixing a new sender tends to range from 'almost impossible' to 'suicidal tendencies'.

Unless your getting the engine out or it isn't in yet I would probably recommend an interface at the cabin end - and this is where you pick the story up from me...! 

If you ARE using an adaptor for the in-car part of the cable I'd be interested in the choice you've made

Cheers

Steve

#21 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

the end of my speedo cable has a screw in type end so the unit screwed straight on it. you may need to fabricate something to get the sensor to stay on, maybe even it could be held with just electrical tape on.

also to get the male end to stay in the sensor there should be a grub screw which you tighten up with the small allen key.

Sorry for not getting back sooner - I've spent most of my free time putting my work back together,  It is turning into a total nightmare.

The original cable which is obviously hanging out of the RHS of the day area has no internal thread - it's smooth metal.  I'll try and get a pic.  In reality I guess it does not need to look pretty - so long as the male doesn't spin within the female then I could get something to hold t all together - not sure about grub screw thing - the male isn't long enough to go completely through - hence the 'surgery' bit - I'm going out  there now to look again  - I'll get a pic.  Ta so far!

how well does the sensor sit in the end of the cable. maybe the outer casing of the speedo cable could be crimped to hold it on and possibly putting a screw in too or a jubilee clip around it. or it may need to be cut off which then may also give you more of the male probe sticking out to go into the sensor. these are just suggestions and i cant say if they will be best or not you may find a better way of doing it.

#22 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

yes let us know how it goes i did try to get mine to fit but struggled hopefully you shall be more succesful

#23 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

yes let us know how it goes i did try to get mine to fit but struggled hopefully you shall be more succesful

Was this using the same converter as mine? From digital-speedos? I will not be happy if something says it's direct fitment when it's not. Also I'm using Auto Meter ultra-lite gauges. Speedo, tacho, temp, pressure, fuel level and volts not sure if that's going to make any difference.

#24 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

how well does the sensor sit in the end of the cable. maybe the outer casing of the speedo cable could be crimped to hold it on and possibly putting a screw in too or a jubilee clip around it. or it may need to be cut off which then may also give you more of the male probe sticking out to go into the sensor. these are just suggestions and i cant say if they will be best or not you may find a better way of doing it.

Well, one side of the female - with the bolt taken off, slides into place almost as if the two units were designed for each other - but there is no thread or friction to hold in place.

I think you're right about employing a bit of physics to get them 'suck' - i.e. crimping/jubilee - that sort of thing.  It really doesn't need to be pretty. Then I shall (eventually) road test to find if the male is spinning inside the female (I think a load of google searches for things are going to throe up this thread before too long!)

Anyhow - Right now I'm undoing loads of man-hours of work reversing out part of my project finding out my centre console will be squeezing too many things behind it and making maintenance impossible (changing a fuse etc).  As its a special car I'm going to reserve the glove compartment to my new 'electric hub' for all things electric to make life easier and more sensible.  My ambitions are terribly high though!

I'll update you to how I get on with the speedo when I EVENTUALLY get there!!!

Just a quickie - do you - or anyone know how quick it takes to fit a full width dash?  I ripped the old one out which was quite quick but then destruction is efficient

#25 DANTOO

DANTOO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I'm looking at getting these drift iridiums, but I've heard only problems so far.

How well do they fit in terms of facier size to the original dash? Is there some customising to be done? Lol

And secondly, Slark engineering put my speedo out when building my new engine n so it reads 20 moh slow ( to be fair I didn't give them specs of wheel size etc so it was my fault) the engine is superb!

Anyhow. . So I imagine I'll have to go Hall type sensor. Has anyone used these before? N where best to mount?

#26 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

sorry for the late reply - my email does not get the updates.

The iridium gauge fits into the 'modern' custom console holes like they are made for them! You don't need to fasten them in - they are held in perfectly by friction (i.e. snug fit).

#27 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:51 PM

by the way - I tested the gauges by supplying voltage and they do look stunning - it's just taking bloody ages for me to sort my mini electrics out (who's idea was it to build a new wiring loom?  Oh yeah, me)

#28 Stimpy

Stimpy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

My idea on the speedo is - the spinning thing that comes up from the gearbox where the old speedo used to mate with needs to be converted into a pulse of some sort.

Thus however I do it, it's basically taking the rotation and holding on to it to send a digital signal to the drift gauge.  The demon tweaks thing mentioned in this thread has the capacity to mate with the 'male' of the old speedo spinner.  Therefore - even a crude method - like glueing the male in to the female tweaks item would work (pretty cowboy-ish, agreed).

My idea is - I'll cut off the old white plastic 'push and turn' grip for the original speedo (it gets in the way) and attache the demon tweaks item.  I fear that I have lost the grub screws to grip the male part so suddenly the idea of 'gorilla glue' seems less crappy(!)

I'll find a way.

Although I've heard about the 'hall effect' I don't know what it means.

#29 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Just an update I've finally fitted my gauges and the digital-speedos converter and everything worked perfectly. I thought the new speedo probe would be to short but it's fine and worked first time round.

Edited by joyce1bro, 16 April 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#30 andy159

andy159

Speedy fingers.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

Just an update I've finally fitted my gauges and the digital-speedos converter and everything worked perfectly. I thought the new speedo probe would be to short but it's fine and worked first time round.

thats good, which gauges have you fitted again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: electrical

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users