Damn it's been a while! My car looks pretty different to the last photos I posted, so I figured it was time for an update. Especially as I'm in the process of half rebuilding it AGAIN; well I needed something to do during lockdown! The progress photos I'm about to post are from around the end of 2018, and show some of the steps leading up to before Brooklands Mini Day (I shared photos of this a few posts back, but didn't go into detail). My car then evolved further after those photos, but I'll get on to that...
So. A few years back I mentioned that I had the car resprayed in 2K for the first time during my second rebuild, and the guy made an absolute mess of it. After a while bubbles started to appear around the headlights and front seams which looked like paint reactions, but these eventually turned into rust bubbles. Fast-forward to the end of 2018 show season, I had just had the car inside at FittedUK, and decided it was time to finally tackle this problem. I began scraping away the flakey paint and was relieved to find only surface rust underneath. It looks bad but it cleaned up nicely with a wire brush.
The paint looked good from the A-Pillars back, so I decided on just a front end respray. I then figured that since I was going to all the trouble, why not do the engine bay too, so out came the engine.
I took the car to a friend of mine who runs Silkmead Paint and Body in Buntingford, and he did a lovely job! I also opted for a rather special colour for the engine bay.
Pearl Cadbury Purple! I absolutely love this colour, as it really shows off just how much work I've put into the engine bay.
I also went for a fiberglass smoothed bonnet from ABS Motorsport, mainly because I have quick release bonnet hinges, and taking the steel bonnet off at shows was a royal pain in the neck... and back.
I then decided it seemed a shame to spoil my fancy engine bay by putting the ugly master cylinders back in, so I went for an ABP pedal box. This was described as a kit for classic Mini's, and while the quality is superb, it couldn't be any less suited to a Mini if it tried... Still though, after a lot of swearing, I got it to work.
Some modification required... Don't even get me started on the throttle cable location. The point where it fixes to the pedal is in a completely different place to standard, so it would have clashed with the subframe tower. Instead I had to bring the cable out the bulkhead diagonally through the old hole in the crossmember where the brake limiter valve used to mount.
Since I don't know how to weld, I braced the dash rails with some steal bar, and then braced the pedal box to the floor on both sides. It's solid as a rock. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of it fitted, but I'll try to get some in the future.
The steering column mount had to be completely revised, so with some thick steel plate I made this. It's crude but works a treat.
Couldn't resist giving the reservoirs a lick of paint. I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with these.
A photo to show how I mounted the brake light switch
Treated myself to some bling
That's about it for progress shots and changes that are below the surface. I'll do another post now showing photos from 2019 show season which was absolutely incredible. People really seemed to love the changes I've made, and I can't wait to show what I'm working on now! That will have to wait though
Edited by Chris1992, 24 September 2020 - 10:55 AM.