#1 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi All

hope you are able to offer a little advice to prvent a small problem growing into a costly one.

We recently had our car restored but as it is a mini we knew we would still need to keep on top of it regarding rust. We have a small area bubbling up under the paint, it is on the top of the passenger wing where it meets the windscreen scuttle area the curvy bit near the door facing up to the sky);

We had put some clear waxoyle down there but obviously not done a good enough job, is it easy to repair? As its fresh rust I am going to assume it will be surface rust under the paint so hopefully sand back and repaint but just wanted advice on what can be done to stop it?

Thanks

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

take it back to the person that resotred it and get them to sort it

#3 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

The problem is that panels tend to rust from the underside out. Meaning what you can see is probably just the surface of the problem, not just surface rust. With the exception of rust arising from scratches and stone chips, minis hardly ever suffer from "Surface rust". Currently any moisture in that area of corrosion has the opportunity to dry out occasionally through the break in the paint surface caused by the corrosion, but if you sand it down and paint over the area, you risk sealing moisture in and making problems worse.

Ideally what you need to do is uncover the full extent of the problem, cut it out, and then weld in a new section of metal, otherwise the problem will just keep coming back. The first thing to do is to take off the road wheel beneath the area and have a good look under the wing at the underside of the problem. You will probably see an area of extensive corrosion on the back of the panel, or that the area is covered in a build up of mud and debris with rust behind, or worse still that someone has painted the entire area over with bitumen based underseal. Whichever has occurred, you need to strip the area back in order to get an idea of what you are dealing with, before deciding on how you are going to deal with it.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I'm with mindaves here, take it back to the person who " restored" it for you. The problem being as AVV IT has said this will have started from underneath or if the wing was replaced there may have been some rust in the new panel they used. ( it may have been sitting around for sometime or it was poorly painted etc.)

#5 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

thanks guys will take the wheel off and look underneath. From what was written above would I be correct in thinking bitumen underseal is bad?

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

Bitumen underseal sounds like the old school method of sealing things.

There are much better products for sealing gaps like Tiger Seal and if you can get your hands on it Aviation sealant like Proseal. (You may see it advertised as PS870B2 etc) 

You may also be getting confused with stonechip which leaves a rough finish but can be over painted with topcoat.

#7 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

The problem with bitumen underseal isn't actually with the product itself, more with it's rather notorious use/abuse. As a product it's not actually too bad, as Sonikk4 mentions, it's a bit outdated now and there are definetley better products out there these days, but the problem tends to be that people will use it to cover over all manner of nasties, as it's so thick that it will conceal just about anything. All to often it's used to bodge over rust, rot, and filler etc, often sealing moisture in and causing panels to rot invisibly away behind a thick layer of underseal.

#8 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:08 PM

thanks guys, sorry for the slow response I don't get on much these days!

#9 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:20 PM

put a piccy up but underseal black sticky stuff is bad, have to etch prime then seam seal :) then paint :)

#10 elguapo

elguapo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

Going to give the car a wash first then will post pics up later, might even get under the car and see from underside

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rust repair, paint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users