#31 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

My guess, and that's all it is, is that you'd see an increase in clamping force if you also managed to reduce the pressure with the clutch depressed.

If the pressure reduced the clutch would become self releasing: the clamping force is provided by the elastic potential of the spring, if that was reducing the spring would move itself to the lower energy state. The force is always increasing (until the diaphragm goes "over centre" & it's elastic forces act in the same direction as the force you're applying with the pedal), only the rate of increase reduces towards zero.

#32 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's the funny thing with diaphragm springs, they can have a spring rate graph like you wouldn't believe.  They can be tuned so that literally they apply pressure for the first few mm of travel, then do nothing for a bit more travel, and then start pulling themselves open, even before they go flat.  And the zero energy point can be tuned to be anywhere as was suggested above, it won't always be when it's exactly flat. And when you stack them up it gets really weird.  I did just look this up this afternoon to check over what was going through my head about this, I'm not claiming prior knowledge here, but Google Haussermann springs.

Edited by Dan, 17 August 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#33 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

I suppose you'd get a rough idea from the pedal pressure, but clouded by several changing lever rates and some other springs in the system. It can't go to a lower energy state, or it'd never return as Guessworks pointed out.

Such a can of worms, should we be trying to keep the clutch as depressed as possible if it's not full released; is the smell of ridden clutch lining actually preferable to ground thrust bearing  :blink:

#34 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

Having lost an engine to bad thrusts, I'd say so.  It's certainly cheaper to buy a friction disc than a block!

#35 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:14 PM

Great info people, and i agree it is discussion not argument.  Have googled the Haussermann springs site and awaiting some further download info.  This is above my expertise but, i sense the profile of the spring/diaphragm is key ( as Dan pointed out). Getting hold of a graph of operating pressure  for say AP orange would be interesting to see.   - i see two stages - like a progression stage and an engagement stage - by shortening the progression stage you could see 'surer' engagement - less clutch slippage likelyhood.    but as i interpret Dan /Guessworks train of thought - you don't want the spring to go over the tipping point.  Ethel   - your river bridge analogy was good visualisation.

Now back to the OP --  putting it in neutral removes thrust bearing pressure  so myth it is not

Myth2 -  Machine until spring almost flat? - on worn slipping clutches it makes some sense  but what about with all new components -- good discussion - i am still pondering

#36 Ivor Badger

Ivor Badger

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

basically it stops you burying the clutch pedal into the floor pan... and running the risk of overthrowing the spring in the diaphragm.

For example, the throwout stop should be set so once the system is adjusted and bled, with someone pressing the clutch to the floor, the throwout stop should be wound in so it's against the face of the clutch cover, then with the clutch released, turned in again 1 flat and locked off.

This now means you clutch pedal does not hit the floor...

The same applies to a verto clutch.

no it doesn't. It stops you forcing the steel backing plate into the end cover if pumping the clutch in traffic. Early minis didn't have them.

The real reason driverswere told not to sit with their foot on the clutch was from the days of carbon release bearings where the release bearing would wear out remarkabley quickly if you did so. 

#37 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:29 PM

Very well wrote out dan, just a shame you logic is flawed.......

Think about what shortening the lugs on the backplate does to the clamping of the plate......

#38 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:31 PM

read this chimps...

http://www.minimania...FAQ__non-Verto_

#39 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:46 PM

Nice one mini13  :D  :D  :D

#40 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Good article mini13 - and by a very authorative source. Don't know about the chimps though -a bit of a let down really  - if it is a term of endearment in your neck of the woods well thanks but not appreciated in most places. If it was a  slight on other thread contributors, then keep typing with your two fingers - at least chimps have opposable thumbs.

#41 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:44 AM

It hasn't come up in conversation so far, but the Vertos system means that the thrust release bearing actually revolves constantly whether the clutch is engaged or not( well mine doesn't due to the fact I made a nifty little device to prevent it) so light weight from your foot such as just resting it on the pedal will make virtually no difference to the life of the bearing. Just in case any one doesn't realise ....I doubt it !!

#42 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

Think about what shortening the lugs on the backplate does to the clamping of the plate......

Well that's exactly what I am thinking about.  And as I mentioned before, all it does is increase the preload on the spring.  If, as is the main point being argued here, the diaphragm spring in a Mini clutch is designed to give zero force at the point where it is flat then preloading it until the spring was flat would actually reduce clamping pressure.  But as can be seen from the testing in the linked article, it doesn't give zero force when it is flat and can in fact extend several thou past flat and still return to its original state.  The graphs in the article are exactly what I was suggesting were needed.  I am very glad to see that someone has actually done research here, and that he stated at the opening that he wanted to know why and wasn't prepared to simply take the word of a book that told him to do it with, no supporting evidence or explanation (much like those of us asking the same thing here, presumably that makes him a chimp too).  It also explains exactly why you are feeling less pressure through the pedal without reducing clamping, and it is not because the spring is giving no force at flat.  It's because you aren't having to push it inverted.  I have also managed to find the info from AP regarding these clutches, and the thing I find odd is that the torque holding figure they publish for the orange clutch is within 1 lbft of what the article suggests is the figure for an incorrectly setup orange clutch.  They state 76 lbft and the author found 75 when installed per factory.  If anything I would say this validates his figures, but I still cannot fathom why these tolerances were not taken out at the factory and why it never became standard.  The only thing I can think is that this setup relies very heavily on the quality control of the clutch spring manufacturer.  If the spring is made even slightly wrongly so that it will indeed invert at or just past the flat position, then installing it this way would result in failure.  If they allow for the spring to be comfortably on the positive side to begin with, they are safe.  But they also give the wear amount as 0.04" which, as shown in the article, is almost all of the available travel.  So it shows how important it is to setup the thing near the zero point to begin with and how badly it will be affected by wear.  All in all I would say if you are going to fit a green, brown (if you can find either anywhere) or blue spring then it's probably not worth bothering with.  If you want an uprated one then it will make it lighter and easier in operation if you do this, which is probably what it said in the books in the first place!

Also, without being argumentative, I still doubt an orange spring can be as light as a Verto.  Even setup like this, the Verto design has much more leverage (and will always be less damaging to the thrust bearing due to the fingers Pigeonto, many modern cars have constant contact CRBs and there is nothing wrong with a properly designed bearing running constantly).  There is a lot of info about diaphragms with fingers on the manufacturer website that I mentioned previously.  Reading that manufacturer's website really shows how the diaphragm design in the pre-Verto must be quite an early one.  It's rubbish.  The Verto is much more modern in all sorts of details regarding not just how it's made but how it's mounted and everything.

Edited by Dan, 18 August 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#43 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

What can I say, you've not tried it, you argued the toss about it right up to reading about it somewhere else.........

This is the trouble with this forum,  people are prepared to argue the toss about things they haven't tried. Because it doesn't fit with there flawed theories and even then still won't believe whats been said.........

All I can say is go try it, instead of reading about it...........

#44 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:21 AM

LOL This is exactly why I won't go into detail on this forum, I know why it works and had given you enough clues on different threads.........

You can think what you like, but at the end of the day if you ever try it you will see the results.........

#45 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:19 AM

Everything you've said above I've told you, I know how it works and gave you plenty of clues to work it out........

Edited by DILLIGAF, 19 August 2013 - 08:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users