186 replies to this topic

#16 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:26 PM

ive felt through between the sportspack arch and the subframe where the 1/4 usually rusts and all feels ok. Will soon find out when the arch comes off.  Lifted out the plastic rear bins and inside looks like new so thats a bonus.  Ive pulled the carpet back and the inner sill doesnt look too bad, although it is covered with that awful soundproofing so that all needs to come off for a thorough inspection.  Underneath looks good though, apart from where someone has tried jacking it up under the floor grrrr. Fingers crossed the floors shouldnt need anything and maybe just a couple of patches to the inner sill.

#17 minimikej

minimikej

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

Overall I'd say it looks in relatively good nick. Flitch panels don't look too bad. The vertical crack on the inner wing looks a little worrying as this will be caused by stresses from the subframe, suggesting that there's weakness at the floor or subframe tower / bulkhead crossmember.

All the panels are available but the top edge of the front bulkhead looks nasty. Depending on what you find it may be worth replacing the entire front bulkhead assembly which is a BMH part and pretty cheap for what you get, around £250 iirc. I think jagman did that on his project on here (which if nothing else should give you some hope as to what can be achieved!)

http://www.theminifo...-rusty-project/

Mainly though you'll find that pretty much all seams are shot which makes repair tricky because you have to repair all the layers at the same time.

Good luck!

#18 domdee

domdee

Formally known as dominicdee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
  • Local Club: hull clubs on FB

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

what a smart clean looking garage. lets see how long that lasts once work starts on the mini! good luck. looking forward to the updates

#19 Madabout....

Madabout....

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Good luck with the project. I would have liked a late Mini too. As has been mentioned I am impressed how clean the garage is.

#20 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I dont like mess and clutter haha.  The garage was all done out to keep my Vectra Vxr tucked away but its been kicked out for this.  Ive missed having a project.

Anyway went for a play on the car this evening, although was pretty knackered after work so just took the dash out to see how bad the corrosion is.

As i was unscrewing the air vents and removing the radio lots of rust was falling out.  Once the dash was removed, the top padded dash part just lifted off as the upper dash rail had corroded so much it was no longer attached to the car.

002_zpsbb82aea1.jpg

003_zpsd55bcd2a.jpg

This is the worse area of rust but will cut out and fabricate a piece to run along the top of the bulkhead replacing this corrosion

004_zpsf380b29c.jpg

005_zpsd3fb2b7a.jpg

Dash still attached but made removal easyyyyyy

006_zps58166fed.jpg

I think a new upper dash rail is needed don't you?

008_zps0f869dc6.jpg

Whilst I was at it I took the shock mounts off to check behind.  Was quite suprised to find them in pretty good nick

009_zpscd514283.jpg

010_zps225f378e.jpg

#21 sport2000

sport2000

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

I look forward to watching the progress on this mate..

#22 shough

shough

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

What an awesome project. Very jealous as I would love to do this. Only problem is, I don't have the space, knowledge or cash.

Good luck keep the posts coming. Also I know you already know about Petrols topic but definitley check there for inspiration.

Edited by shough, 20 August 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#23 [email protected]

[email protected]

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Love this build :) 

#24 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

Well decided to take the sound proofing off the bulkhead and heater out tonight.  Whilst at it i removed the carpet too and decided to have a poke at the solid looking inner sills, even on the outside they looked solid however the metal was very thin.

Look what happened, look carefully though as the garage floor blends in with the colour of the solid metal

005_zpsac5e28e8.jpg

006_zps88eec9ff.jpg

#25 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:09 PM

MPI's had very little protection so expect the worst. to be honest I'm not surprised. It can be fixed though. I modded the inner wing on mine to beef it up a bit.

Pete

#26 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:21 PM

I wasnt suprised either to be honest.  Kind of expected it to have gone.. im sure ill find more :( Oh well, at least ive done it all before so know its not difficult, and the magnum inner sills were a good fit and cheap :)

#27 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Not much to report today.  The stripdown continued with a strip out of the wiring loom and headlining.  Thankfully the loom is intact and hasnt been played with at all.  Headlining is pretty dirty though :( Anyone tried the headlining in the washing machine?? 

033_zpsedbf649a.jpg

Bulkhead is nice and solid apart from the upper edge which is repairable.  Not even any surface rust, its just dirt :)

034_zpsa10dafa4.jpg

#28 Petrol

Petrol

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Best thing I have found for the headlining is a mixture of warm water, washing up liquid and liquid washing powder. Wet it though and leave it for a couple of hours. Worked a treat on mine.

Pete

#29 Zeemax Adventure

Zeemax Adventure

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:44 PM

Best thing I have found for the headlining is a mixture of warm water, washing up liquid and liquid washing powder. Wet it though and leave it for a couple of hours. Worked a treat on mine.

Pete

Thanks, I shall give it a go.  Its not ripped or stained, its just a bit grubby

#30 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Looks like an excellent project mate.

You are really going to have your work cut out with all that rot though. It never fails to shock me how badly these go. Still when done, it will be one valuable car.

I have always wanted to go to one of these dealers you see selling these on eBay and see how much rust and rot you can buy for £10,000!

Still you got it for a good price in my opinion, lets just hope it is as straight forward as possible to fix.

Cheers

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users