2212 replies to this topic

#1111 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Need a new boot seal for the daily driver. It's a part you can only get through the main dealer. Phoned my local one up and asked them and they said they couldn't supply it as it wasn't their policy until they'd tested for leaks - would need the car for 3 days! Said I only wanted to buy it, not have it fitted - same response. Phoned another main dealer 18 miles away and they said they'd supply it, no problem. What the hell was that all about? Are some main dealers just trying it on big time?

#1112 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Need a new boot seal for the daily driver. It's a part you can only get through the main dealer. Phoned my local one up and asked them and they said they couldn't supply it as it wasn't their policy until they'd tested for leaks - would need the car for 3 days! Said I only wanted to buy it, not have it fitted - same response. Phoned another main dealer 18 miles away and they said they'd supply it, no problem. What the hell was that all about? Are some main dealers just trying it on big time?

That.....is CRAZY!

#1113 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

I'd hit the scrap yards or buy some universal weather stripping and fit that instead.

#1114 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'd hit the scrap yards or buy some universal weather stripping and fit that instead.

Good idea on the weather strip. Know a good place? It's sold out on Amazon.

#1115 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Good idea on the weather strip. Know a good place? It's sold out on Amazon.

Ebay or an autofactors would probably have it.

#1116 mini93

mini93

He's just too casual!

• Members
  • 8,615 posts
  • Local Club: Medievil minis of Warwickshire

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

3 days to water test? >_< dang...  Should only take like 20 mins max!

#1117 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Park up, watering can, is your boot floor wet? Yes: put a new seal on... No: go home

#1118 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Yes, but they can't make ££££££££££s off me then :D . You can see the seal is knackered (a part of it has split and is actually flapping about). No idea why some numpty wants to fire water into my boot for 3 days unless they want to see how fast mold will grow on the carpet. 

#1119 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

5 minutes to take a look at boot seal and realise its broken.

10 minute tea break.

5 minutes to pick up phone and place order.

2 days of waiting for part to turn up from main dealership in Europe (probably-don't know the make of the car).

5 minutes to open packet because of tough cellophane wrapper and lack of scissors.

10 minute tea brake to get over frustrating cellophane wrapper

1 hour to fit seal (they can be awkward as you often have to unscrew interior panels as they sit over the top of the seal)

Meanwhile you are being charged £40 per hour as you car is taking up space in their workshop.

#1120 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Where I live , 6 reasonable pubs & a club have closed down , (used to go to all of them - (not on same night)) all in 3 years

replaced with 1 wetherspoons , 2 £xpensive bar restaurant , 2 £xpensive restaurant , 2 still closed - all clone / chain where replaced

the council have put up business rates & rent has gone up as well - as well as a clone shopping precent that no-one wanted

and is still part empty after 5 years some units never being occupied

they appear to want a town with nightlife that closes at 11:30 all weekend & clones everywhere - small independant shops are also feeling the pinch

other pubs are struggling to get custom as people are busing out to the nearest city for the nightlife that has gone

the local football club was well represented and in the middle of town - the council moved it 2 miles out of town & sold the land

the new football club is now vacant after going bust

not really a random thought , but I wondered if anyone else had this

#1121 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Most town centres these days have lots and lots of charity shops and estate agents i have noticed.

There are also quite a few 'pop up shops' round and about which last for a few months.

My home town is rubbish now. Mainly charity shops, estate agents, pound shops polish deli's/phone unlocking and accessories (weird combination)

The town that i actually live in currently is a seaside resort so most of the shops are independent businesses selling nick nacks and souvenirs but still has a few charity shops and estate agents.

I hope nobody takes offence but i am getting a bit concerned about the fact that whenever i go down the town, all i hear everywhere is the foreign jabber of Romanian and polish people.

Are we being outnumbered?

Ben

#1122 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

I don't go into our town centre at all now. It's like being in a foreign country. Seriously. The last language you'll hear is English. I hate it. Just seems to be full of foreigners dressed head to toe in knock off Adidas who just seem to doss about jabbering all day or they're pushing pramloads of kids around. The problem is that low-skilled, low paid migrants demand the cheapest possible shops - hence the boom in Poundlands and 99p shops.

I spend a fair bit of time in Bradford on Avon - I wish my town was still like that. English (mostly)!

Don't get me started :D.

#1123 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

O_O

#1124 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

I don't go into our town centre at all now. It's like being in a foreign country. Seriously. The last language you'll hear is English. I hate it. Just seems to be full of foreigners dressed head to toe in knock off Adidas who just seem to doss about jabbering all day or they're pushing pramloads of kids around. The problem is that low-skilled, low paid migrants demand the cheapest possible shops - hence the boom in Poundlands and 99p shops.

I spend a fair bit of time in Bradford on Avon - I wish my town was still like that. English (mostly)!

Don't get me started :D.

This is what i love about where i live.

The only foreign people you tend to see are tourists.

Yes there are some Polish people but they are few and far between. It's the huge crowds of them in 99p shop looking in your direction, jabbering in polish whilst laughing and smirking. It makes me feel uneasy.

I use the Lidl in Shankin on the isle of Wight where i live and it is great! The staff are friendly and helpful, you get to know them and the regular shoppers that you tend to see every time make for a great atmosphere.

I went into Lidl, Canterbury last week and the staff were all foreign, rude and generally it made for a bad atmosphere in there. All of the customers were foreign and i'm not going to lie, it makes you feel like a real outsider and that perhaps you won't go back next time.

Just my thoughts. I am not a racist and i have nothing against Polish people, in fact i have met a few really nice ones!

Ben

#1125 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Where I live , 6 reasonable pubs & a club have closed down , (used to go to all of them - (not on same night)) all in 3 years

replaced with 1 wetherspoons , 2 £xpensive bar restaurant , 2 £xpensive restaurant , 2 still closed - all clone / chain where replaced

the council have put up business rates & rent has gone up as well - as well as a clone shopping precent that no-one wanted

and is still part empty after 5 years some units never being occupied

they appear to want a town with nightlife that closes at 11:30 all weekend & clones everywhere - small independant shops are also feeling the pinch

other pubs are struggling to get custom as people are busing out to the nearest city for the nightlife that has gone

the local football club was well represented and in the middle of town - the council moved it 2 miles out of town & sold the land

the new football club is now vacant after going bust

not really a random thought , but I wondered if anyone else had this

Market Drayton my nearest town is the same. It is slowly dying. We used to have some big names in the town but they have all disappeared and we have been left with nothing but charity shops or vacant property.

It doesn't help that there is nowhere to park for free anywhere so you are straight away £1.20 before you even set foot in a shop.

Telford town centre is dying as well and they are a much larger town than Market Drayton is.

I am not a racist...

Why does a conversation usually go downhill once this is said.

Mock foreign workers all you want but they are prepared to work and usually do a better job than a lot of low paid british people. My dad has spent the last 35 years in the building industry and has still maintains these days that the foreign labourers you get on site usually do a better job than the British who will do the bare minimum they can get away with.

Everyone has to be given equal rights so why can't we deport some of the lazy brits who do nothing but scrounge of the system just like we would deport anyone who came over here and doesn't work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users