12 replies to this topic

#1 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi, Another question(sorry!!) thought i would fit the new wheel bearing kits i bought from minisport, i carefully removed the old bearings and the distance piece, gave the hub a good clean in the parts washer, and fitted both the outer races, using an old outer race to tap them in(they are taper roller bearings) i didnt refit the distance piece as the new bearings both have a shoulder instead, i did all this very carefully, fitted the oil seal after copious amounts of hmp grease, fitted them on the stub axles along with the large washer and castlelated nut, the manual says torque is 60 ftlbs, i started to tighten them but they started to bind at 10-15 lbs? i didnt tighten them anymore as clearly something is wrong. The boxes have GHK 1548/ KIT002 on them,the inners are stamped KOR FHBC NP880810 and the outer are stamped and the outers NP 419272. Has anyone any thoughts on this, I was thinking maybe that torque setting is for normal bearings not taper rollers? Again any help much appreciated. Martin.(Both sides bind at about the same torque.)

#2 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

The torque is correct, and you have done nothing wrong, indeed checking them for free rotation as you tightened the nut was a good idea. Not everyone has been so careful.

If you had been following this forum regularly for a while, you would possibly not have bought your bearings from MiniSport, as they have been implicated in numerous similar problems. They appear to be cheap Chinese trash.

Send them back, and demand a refund. They were not of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, and the law is on your side. If they refuse a refund, inform Trading Standards.

#3 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Im calling minisport in the morning, and will report back on the forum. Martin.

#4 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Forgot to say they are SCH bearings, according to their website they manufacture world class engineering items !!!! Martin.

#5 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

SCH, i had a set of them with the wrong spacer. As you havent overtorqued the bearing, you can get away by shimming the spacer. Otherwise send them back, but i'm not sure if they'll accept them back.

#6 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

Many Thanks for the replies.Martin. Just about to call minisport.

#7 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Called Minisport, they say they know of no problems with their kits, but will pick one at random and check it !! seems like i will have to place a shim between the bearig shoulders, any idea of what to use? Cheers Mart.

#8 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yeah its likely that you need to shim the spacer as it isnt thick enough, im afraid balljoint shims are too big, need to check.

You can also contact SCH themselves for help, they're a british company.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

You're entitled to a refund under the distance selling regulations, as well as them not being fit for purpose. Measuring another set proves nothing. Shimming would be ok if you knew the correct size of shim. It could take an age to work out as trial & error is the only option.If they have been produced on the cheap look at the chamfer on the edges, if they are too sharp that might prevent the races seating properly. Also use something sharp 'n pointy to ensure the internal corners of hubs are free of gunge.

#10 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yes, it could be the edge radius. But I would be concerned about the bearing quality. Who are SCH? I checked their web site and found this:

•  Formation of South Coast Bearings
•  Acquisition of major bearing wholesaler leading to formation of SCH Group
•  Move to new premises in Budds Lane, Romsey
•  Obtain sole UK import rights for FAG Hanwha of Korea's KBC brand products
•  Obtain sole UK import rights for Schmeing Gmbh plastic bearings
•  Obtain sole UK import rights for SNH brand products of China to supply motor quality products
•  Obtain sole UK import rights for Powdermet SA sintered products
•  Obtain sole UK import rights for CIE products - China's largest bearing producer and exporter
•  Acquired new warehousing space, major sales office refurbishment and computer upgrade

Bearing manufactuer is highly complex and needs a great deal of special equipment and expertise, as well as substantial capital investment, really available only to the big boys like Timken or SKF. I would expect a small manufacturer to be no better than the Chinese. But it turns out that they are only an importer not a manufacturer, and guess where most of their products come from....

So, possibly yet more Chinese trash, possibly disguised as British, which is illegal. (They also stock FAG, NSK and SKF, which are ok.) As has been said before, never, ever buy bearings (or high tensile bolts, and a few other things too)  from China. Almost all of them are of abysmally poor quality. Some other Chinese stuff is usually ok, of course. Your phone was probably made there, and works.

It would be very interesting to know who actually made the bearings, and where.

#11 bikenutmart

bikenutmart

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Wow !! Quite a debate!! Sorted thru my odds and end drawer and found some shims that fit, spent most of the afternoon trial fitting and now have nice free running hubs with no play and all torqed up to 60lbs. Happy Bunny at last.( the one my dog caught this morning wasnt though!!) Cheers Mart.

#12 Scousemouse

Scousemouse

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:13 PM

JEEZE!! and the Tory Government is getting the Chinese to build OUR NUCLEAR Power Stations........errr "does Australia still do £10 passage?" :nuke:  :nuke:  O_O

#13 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if the bearings minisport supplied are just chinese ones in an expensive box. Thats what they did when I ordered a KOYO idler gear bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users