87 replies to this topic

#1 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

With all the fakes around and the chinese parts flooding the market, its easy to get a defective item these days.

Name and shame.

If your bearings are marked FHRC KOR, send em back, bin them or use them to hold the toilet paper in your garage.

Wrong size spacer, looks like made out of cheap metal. The part that hold the needle rollers is easy to break too.

These will fail within miles before fitment.

More to come..

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Interesting post jaydee look forward to the more to come bit, thanks

#3 [email protected]

[email protected]

Minispares

• Minispares
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts
  • Name: Simon Jackson

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

There was a thread regarding that bearing set earlier this week unfortunately

#4 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

It appears it's not just minisport selling cheap Chinese crap, I've just received (and fitted without knowing) a rear wheel bearing kit GHK1548/KIT002 from MINI-MINE.

Same problem of not even being able to tighten the castle nut up by hand before the bearings/hub aren't free to turn. The car (my only mode of transport) has already been off the road 2 weeks now, so mini traders selling Chinese crap isn't funny, especially as it's not the first time.

#5 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

What brand are these bearings?

PS the FHRC KOR are not from minisport, there sold as 'classic wheel bearings' from most bearings suppliers, and very common to find them at shows, so its a wide problem.

Edited by jaydee, 17 September 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#6 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

There is no brand, just boxed as 'classic wheel bearings'

Unfortunately I didn't buy them at a show, as I had I'd of seen the unbranded box and stayed well clear. Instead I bought them as part of an order from minimine via there eBay listings and I've since noticed the that the invoice/listing is for a rear wheel bearing kit GHK 1352 and no the Chinese GHK1548/kit002 that they have sent.

#7 danie garry

danie garry

I love BMW minis

• Members
  • 2,296 posts
  • Local Club: IMOC-Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

most local motor factors ususally have the likes of blueprint or QH or thats what ther'll order in so if i cant get timken bearings thats where i go

#8 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

There is no brand, just boxed as 'classic wheel bearings'

Unfortunately I didn't buy them at a show, as I had I'd of seen the unbranded box and stayed well clear. Instead I bought them as part of an order from minimine via there eBay listings and I've since noticed the that the invoice/listing is for a rear wheel bearing kit GHK 1352 and no the Chinese GHK1548/kit002 that they have sent.

I think i know what bearings are you talking about.

Have a set of these in the workshop, will see and investigate over the weekend as i'll be back in the garage.

Dont use them by the way, they dont look good at all.

#9 SecretSugar

SecretSugar

Sweet!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Anyone got a picture of these type of bearings so we know what were looking out for?

#10 jaydee

jaydee

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,565 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Unfortunately my mate bin the KOR and i was covered in grease so didnt take any pic.

But I may still have the box, will see if i can take a pic of the box at least, but ALWAYS refer to whats stamped on the inner race (FHRC KOR in that case).

The other mentioned by  1984mini25 are not even marked, but will get a pic for sure!

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Anyone got a picture of these type of bearings so we know what were looking out for?

I will take some. as I've still got all the packing and the bearings came in there own separate boxes.

I'm not sure if the bearings were marked or not, but the hubs on the bench as I've had to 'borrow' a rear hub off my other mini.

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have also had a reply to a message I sent minimine via eBay...

Hi, thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear that you are having trouble with this. I will try to address all of your issues separately. We sell 100`s of these kits a year through our various outlets and through our trade customers worldwide and have never had any reports of issues. We also fit these in our workshop and have never had any problems with the bearings we have however had issues with worn rear hubs and worn/ damaged rear shafts making it appear that the bearing is at fault. As a company we are well aware of the various discussions on the forums and respect peoples opinions but we are also confident in our items that we sell.

Firstly i would check that the bearing supplied is the same as the picture and all the parts are there, then i would make sure that the bearings are fitted correctly as the bearings have an in built spacer and make sure this is correct. I would then also make sure they are all the way into the hub and no parts of the old bearing are present. I would then torque the hut nut and washer up to the manufacturers specification.

We disagree with your statement "GHK 1548/kit002 are cheap Chinese rubbish, aren’t fit for purpose and are potentially unsafe to use", these are not Genuine Rover or Timkin bearings we are selling and the price/ description reflects this, but these are a reproduction version as sold by nearly all Classic mini companies.

You have also stated that "the eBay listing is for a wheel bearing kit GHK 1352, which doesn’t match the GHK 1548/kit002 item number on the bearing I’ve been sent." The simple answer to that is the part has been superseded on a number of occasions and previous part numbers include GHK1352, GHK1141, ABK002, GHK1548 and also AWB910.

So according to them the only possible reason why when I come to tighten the hub nut the hub/bearings seize solid is because of a worn hub? Surely if the hub was worn the bearings would be too lose in the hub?

But then I also only replaced the rear wheel bearing because the wheel cylinder seized (witch also arrived in a brown unbranded box) causing the rear brake to bind/heat up the rear drum and although the original bearing might have be ok to still use I didn't want to risk it, hence changing it.

#13 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

Nice ******* response from minimine. Will add that to the list of companies I avoid!

#14 wilz1234

wilz1234

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:20 PM

How does the hub wear?

#15 Gulfclubby

Gulfclubby

Gulf Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Name: Ben
  • Local Club: Berner Mini Club

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:45 PM

by repeatedly banging old races out and new races in, by failed bearings rotating in the hub, poorly greased bearings causing bearings to overheat, corrosion, etc. etc.

I've had the same problem with an old hub and an original timken bearing. Couldn't torque it up to spec. A tiny lip in the wrong place can make all the difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users