Photo
- - - - -

Quickshift Problem

Best Answer wilz1234 , 28 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

From a couple of years back:

I found it easier to punch the original pins inwards. They seemed to be lightly tapered..........

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

Got a quickshift from Castle Combe today, not sure if it's a KAD one. How do I get the 'pins' out of the selector housing, its a rod change, I've tried twisting and pulling them out with pliers (in situe), if I can't get them out, could I just cut a notch out of the purple alluminum housing on each side to go over the 'pins' and screw the bolts onto the selector housing, OR, cut the 'pins' off and clamp the bolts onto the remains of the pins

#2 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

Anybody?

#3 wilz1234

wilz1234

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:23 PM   Best Answer

From a couple of years back:

I found it easier to punch the original pins inwards. They seemed to be lightly tapered..........

#4 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:01 AM

I have just done it on rod change.   Punch the pins outward, works fine,  just get a punch with a long and slightly bendy nose.. mine had about 5 cm narrow section

#5 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

They might be called quick shifts, but their definitely not quick installation, not on mine anyway!

We had to take the whole exhaust off, manifold and all to get the bolt out of the top 'steady bar' above the linkage rod, then dad had great fun getting the roll pin out as we only have tapered punches, ended up using a long thin bolt and a cut down nail, then we got the selector housing and rods off, banged the pins inwards, and after the decision to put an imperial cleaning up tap through the housing to get 'a thread' we managed to get the purple sleeve to go down enough after lots of cleaning and emery clothing to get the bolts through, then all back together and it's brilliant!

Attached File  image.jpg   40.67K   24 downloads

#6 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:34 AM

Gremlin   - sorry, but had to laugh - don't you love these 5 minute jobs that end up like that....  4 steps back then one step forward..

#7 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

Simple answer is..

If you did not pay 90 odd quid for it, it's not a KAD, plus it'll say KAD on the top...

Which means you have a shocking Chinese made copy which will be a ******* to fit, not work very well, and once you ground this sh*t out of your gearbox, you'll be wanting a new one of them too...

See below.

#8 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

They are not referred to as 'Quick-Graunch' for nothing.

The misconception is that they make the gear change faster, which is incorrect.

All they do is make the lever travel distance less. If the standard gear linkage is in good condition they don't really achieve much at all.

#9 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

I had one in mine when I got it and took it out before it clapped the bulk rings and hubs, speak to John and pre book yours in, it will happen sooner or later, mine with the standard change is so much nicer to drive, the boys over at the Ford forum found the same with Bulk Rings and Hubs on the Ford boxes and they are usually bullet proof

#10 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

To improve the gear change just make sure that the linkage is in top condition. Also, it is possible to make a modified rear support rubber mounting by getting an original Cooper/Cooper 'S' remote gear-change housing rear mounting and cutting it down to fit.  without risking gearbox damage.

That also makes the linkage very positive.

I have used a KAD Quick-Graunch and quite liked it, but I was careful not to try to 'quick shift' when changing gear. On a bumpy road I found it easy to miss a gear as the movement is so short. In the end I changed to the modded linkage as above and found it much better.

#11 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

I wasn't planning on actually using it to 'quick shift', I was doing it so that it is another different/modified part of the car and to make gear changes feel a bit more positive, also, theres less mechanical advantage so once you've learned how much force is reasonably needed, you'll do less damage

#12 Sleepy Stu

Sleepy Stu

formerly Stewart_GT

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

They are not referred to as 'Quick-Graunch' for nothing.

The misconception is that they make the gear change faster, which is incorrect.

All they do is make the lever travel distance less. If the standard gear linkage is in good condition they don't really achieve much at all.

Actually Cooperman your the first person on the forum I have ever seen call them 'Quick-Graunch'

But anyway as has already been said if its not a KAD one then really I wouldn't bother fitting it. When I bought my car it came with a cheap one fitted. Soon removed it and fitted a KAD one.

Edited by Sleepy Stu, 01 October 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#13 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

I've just been for a spin...... it's brilliant! really positive, got a good feel for the force required, doesn't like going into 4th, but an old woman had it before and possibly would have never gone into 4th.

The 'gaitor' you see in the picture above is a piece of an old landrover innertube - I wanted to be able to see the purple alloy housing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users