Photo

Which Is Better - Lynx Ae Or Promotive Kit?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Matt1293

Matt1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi, this might kick up some debate, but I'd like to know peoples opinions on the pros and cons on both of these kits. Price wise I believe they are about the same, except the LSD is extra for the Promotive kit I understand.

In your opinions which is best Lynx AE or Promotive kit? Also I've noticed looking at a few of these kits that there could be potentially ground clearance issues with the sump, is this the case?

I'm really interested in going down the R1 route so any input is appreciated.

Edited by Matt1293, 04 October 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#2 kappa

kappa

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Local Club: Middlesex Mini Club

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

This will be interesting to know, I think pro-motive as they have been around a bit longer and may have a better understanding of the product. Do not qoute me on that though ;D  

#3 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

If I was parting with that amount of cash, I'd pay them both a visit. You can usually gauge the quality of a product and the likely after sale service you will experience, purely from having a conversation with the person/people selling it. Your next best option is a phone call and finally, an email.

#4 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

I would highly recommend john at lynx ae I have one of his kits the quality is spot on. The diff is a piece of work great bit of engineering. John had been in the industry along time and works on all sorts of race cars so he knows his stuff. With the lynx the sump isn't as closeto the floor as the a series so no worries there. Also I like the fact it comes with a lsd as standard. I also prefer the electric reverse as it makes it very simple less to go wrong. With the lynx it uses the standard mini engine mounts and only slight modification to thw Subframe to get the manifold in. Both kits are good and both have there advantages just my 2 p im very happy with my choice.

Josh

#5 Baldspeed Racing

Baldspeed Racing

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

Pro-Motive.....I would say that as I know Darren and Phil well :)

#6 Matt1293

Matt1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for your feedback. I notice you don't get a gear lever with the Lynx kit, I'm edging more towards the pro motive kit despite the fact that the LSD is extra as it looks like the gear selector in the Lynx kit is also extra. The only thing I don't like about the Pro motive kit is the ground clearance. Any ideas how close it is?

#7 kjwithers

kjwithers

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I cant comment as i have neither of them, however the only thing that concerns me with the lynx ae kit is the short distance between sorockets and subsequent short length of the chain. The chain has less recovery time and therfore more prone to wear. The pro mo is slightly longer.

I also like the iea of the reverse box in the pro mo, mainly for 6 reverse gears lol.

However, the sump clearance of the lynx seems better and you do get the lsd.

Having ssid all that ive decided to go with a westgsrage kit and build my own frame similiar to lynx ae (albeit a lot cheaper). I will be doing this shortly and will document on my build diray, which i havnt updated for ages :-/

#8 Matt1293

Matt1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Do you have a link for west garage?

#9 mailman

mailman

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

Courtesy of Google:

http://www.westgarag.../kits/kit1.html

#10 Matt1293

Matt1293

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks I'll look into it.

#11 steveo

steveo

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Local Club: looking

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Promotive is my preference

#12 panch1989

panch1989

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Has anyone ever dropped in an engine and got it sorted in a weekend like some kits claim can happen?

#13 racerlike

racerlike

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

I would say its possible with pro-motive kit if you've already had a go at it. I've taken the engine out and put it back in again in a weekend.
It's coming out again in a couple of weeks as I enjoy doing it so much.....😡

#14 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:16 AM

I definitly prefer the lynx kit as it has several advantages over promotive:

+ sump clearance

+ possiblity to fit a turbo, promotive no space=no chance

+ engine swap A-series to R1 and back (will use this as same car for BCT (A-Series) and DAM/NAVC/trackdays (R1)

+ quaife already in Kit

+ Polestar ecu instead of cheating the original ECU with power commander&CO. (cheaper and better way)

+ quality of cradle

+ If you have a proper subframe why replacing it?

#15 7xsteve

7xsteve

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

Personally I prefer the promotive setup. The one issue is the ground clearance.
As for the argument of swapping engines back and forth I don't see any advantage with the lynx kit. If I was running an A series and an r1 for competition I would have 2 subframes built up and swap them with the engines, suspension brakes etc left on.
LSD as standard is a plus point for the lynx kit especially given the price of quaife diff!
As for the ecu or power commander both items are separate to the kit so either could be used with both conversions.

I think a lot of this will just be down to preference and mine may change by the time I get together the money to buy one!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users