Photo
- - - - -

Rh Rear And Front Side Light Drama

Best Answer smudger"s"works , 16 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

The fuse box looked ok on first sight, but once i took it off i found it was a cheap Chinese copy with just a Lucas cover on it. There was a bit of corrosion on the underside but ive seen worse, the only thing i can think of was that the pins holding the fuse in were a bit loose.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Local Club: none yet but a member of BMC

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Please help,

Im having major dramas with my RH side lights. Ive got a 94' Spi cooper, standard loom (un-modified).

As you can see from my picture my drama is the connection from the side light switch to the in-line fuse.

when i switch to dip the front light up as normal but the rear RH still fails to light.

So im asking does anybody know where the join is as i need to check that or can i run a fresh wire to the in-line fuse from the red connection on the back of the lighting switch.

many thanks

Smudge

Attached Files

#2 matt615

matt615

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

You don't need to run any new wires, it's probably just a bad connection on the fuse.

#3 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I got my multi meter needle on the wire and still 0.5V so I'm stumped

#4 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

OK so i decided to take a half day at work to try and sort this drama out.

However i found out that i must of been using a dodgy earth when checking the red cable going into the in-line fuse, that was reading 11.2v now. But no further

I removed the RH head light to see what the readings are there and nothing. So i traced the wire back looking at every mm of cable to see if there was a nick in it and nothing. Got to the connection to the loom and that looked fine, took that apart and tested there nothing. I decided to do a continuity test on all connections and that seemed fine so im stumped yet again

After a few hours i then decided to put a new in-line fuse holder on and still nothing. Im still getting no RH side light, RH rear side light and no illumination lights on the dash.

Im starting to think it could be the first split after the in-line fuse.

Can anybody help me please.

#5 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

Use a pin to pierce the insulation and check that you really have voltage downstream of the fuse. You can put a tiny bit of silicone sealant in the pinhole afterwards, or a wrap of self-amalgamating tape, just to prevent water getting in and corroding the wire. There is no risk of a pinhole causing a short.

The problem most likely will be at the split, but I am not sure exactly where that is on your model.

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

Fuse 14 does the  Right-hand, side and tail lights, instrument illumination, I doubt all these the wire has a fault but most likely as you suspect a bad connection, These type of faults are difficult to trace as it means if you have no feed to the front/back and dash its a common outlet feed to all. usually a case of finding your feed into the fuse and outwards and then trace it onward

#7 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

SORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the fuse box i don't know how and i don't know why because that circuit goes through a line fuse. Its all singing and dancing now and i thought it treat the mini to a new heater matrix all ready for winter.

#8 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

What was the issue on the fusebox? bad connection?

#9 smudger"s"works

smudger"s"works

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:28 PM   Best Answer

The fuse box looked ok on first sight, but once i took it off i found it was a cheap Chinese copy with just a Lucas cover on it. There was a bit of corrosion on the underside but ive seen worse, the only thing i can think of was that the pins holding the fuse in were a bit loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users