Photo
- - - - -

Mk1 Steering Wheel On Mk3, Question?

Best Answer Vinmin , 21 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

you will need a Mk3 steering cowl. the Mk1 had the ignition in the dash next to the light & wiper switches. It is possible to change the light with the petrol tank in but best to pull it out of the way slightly (doesn't have to be completely removed)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks n Freaks Mini Club

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi everyone, i recently purchased a Mk1 austin steering wheel as im wanting to 'retro-fy' my 1980 Austin Mini 1000, I did some research beforehand as it is apparently easy to change as it supposedly should just 'drop in'.

My question is, my car had little to no interior when i purchased it a couple of weeks ago. No dashboard, no steering coloumn surround etc.. there are wires everywhere. What steering column surround do i need, a mk1 or mk3? Its currently just the big 'pipe' with a steering wheel on the end, a load of wires and then the ignition key bit.

Sorry for lack of technical terminology, but hopefully you know what im saying!

#2 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Also while im here, i have some mk2 lights waiting to be fitted, do i need to remove the petrol tank to fit the left hand side or is it possible to do it leaving it in?

#3 Vinmin

Vinmin

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Local Club: RCMOC

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:36 PM   Best Answer

you will need a Mk3 steering cowl. the Mk1 had the ignition in the dash next to the light & wiper switches. It is possible to change the light with the petrol tank in but best to pull it out of the way slightly (doesn't have to be completely removed)

#4 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Cool, thanks for your help

#5 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

The choice of steering column cowl depends on what indicator/wiper stalk set up you are going for.

If going for a single stalk you can't use a Mk 1 cowl (unless you open out the indicator arm aperture) because it isn't designed for the indicator stalk to move fore and aft.

#6 jamiewandsmurray

jamiewandsmurray

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Im just wanting to literally swap the steering wheel and cover up the wires, not interested in messing about with indicators/ignition so i think i'll just use a mk3 cowl for now. Thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users