8 replies to this topic

#1 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:27 PM

Hi, Im about ready to start welding some bits on my mini, but im unsure of the best way to do it.
For example, I want to weld some repair patches in to the boot floor, should I overlap the panels a bit, and then weld around the outside, or should I butt the two pieces of metal together , and then weld?

Thanks a lot,
Sorry if I havent made this too clear,

pEaCE
Dom

#2 philster

philster

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 11:35 PM

hi dom, its only really necessary to butt weld on cosmetic panels so that you get a flush fit, i always overlap mine by about 1/4" and weld it on both sides if poss for a good strong joint. This does take longer to weld than a butt weld but is far easier to weld and cut the replacement panel. What you also need to do is try and get as much penetration (ooer) as possible without burning holes in the metal thus ensuring a good strong weld. Be sure to get plenty of paint and seam sealer on afterwards to stop water getting in otherwise you'll be doing it again in six months!

#3 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:53 AM

I will be welding for the first time too.
Is seam sealer like a primer or something?
Do you apply seam seal then panit over or vice versa.
Where can I buy seam sealer, haven't seen it anywhere?

#4 Dom

Dom

Moved Into The Mazda

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,685 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

from what i remember from my tech exam you need to make sure its clean, rid of rust.
:D i cantremember anything else now, but when i saw this topic i knew :D
it might comeback to me, if not woody will probably step in and tell you the FACTS

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:09 AM

on a floor pan it is best to make the patch larger than the hole , grind the patch area back to bare metal , apply weld through primer to the floor and the patch and then seam weld the patch in (before making the patch make sure you have found the edges of the rust or you will end up with a large patch with several small patches around it :D ) after the patch is welded in dress the welds with an angle grinder (just to remove any lumps or sharp bits) then primer the area with a self etch primer (using personal safety protection ) allow the corect time to dry (should say on tin) and then apply seam sealer , polyurathane is best , it comes in a cartridge and you need a sealer gun to apply it , I allways use a 1 inch paint brush to brush the sealer into any nooks or cranys , this will waterproof your repair and also hide any less than perfect welds (bird poo :D ) it is best to seal both sides of a welded patch .

#6 adam c

adam c

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:51 PM

Frost sell the seam sealer, weld thru primer and etch primer, however the etch primers about £13 a tin! I went to my local paint supplier and got some for about £9. The etch primer has to be top coated asap as it draws in moisture, I think you also have to etch prime under the seam sealer aswell.....

#7 David_J

David_J

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 03:09 PM

I second Woody.
He's like a text book that guy.!

:D)

:grin:

#8 Alburglar

Alburglar

Das Pingu's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 23 June 2004 - 08:22 PM

This has really helped me too.

#9 Telejmp

Telejmp

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:09 PM

Thanks a lot guys, this has really helped.
Im really excited about getting started on my mini now,hehe.
thanks again,
pEaCE
Dom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users