#16 beaker the muppet

beaker the muppet

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Local Club: KLMC, Wigton

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

And the key with hillclimbing is to learn. Every time you go up the hill you are out to beat your previous time not necessarily another competitor (though that’s always a bonus) so you experiment with different lines, braking zones and cornering speeds.

main thing is you can learn a lot.

Interesting, I've always thought of hillclimbing as a way to test myself and see if I really am getting any good. You get so little running in on a single day - I'm usually at Harewood which is quite long for a hillclimb but it's still only a mile, and some days there's only 5 timed runs in a day. That's 5 miles and just over 5 minutes of seat time. I use track days to improve and hillclimbs/sprints to compete and like I say, to put myself to the test - the clock doesn't lie, so if I want to get faster I've got to drive better.

I do like the fact that really I'm just competing against myself and trying to get faster.

Using track days to practice sounds like a good idea. The big problem is that my mini isn’t road legal (modified production class) so I can only play with it on events.

I’m seriously thinking of doing a few track days as more seat time is needed to improve. Might have a dig around for what I need to do one locally

#17 andynbr

andynbr

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: Because Minis

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

For an 850 mini, your best bet is the Downton social club speed series: http://www.bjautobit...peed-series.htm

They have a class for up to 1100cc, where the standard MSA based classes usually start with up to 1400cc (so lots of 1380s!). They're down your way, rumoured to be quite friendly and some of the sprints are on fairly beginner-friendly tracks and layouts.

The events they run at are all all proper MSA sprints, so well organised. That does mean you need the right safety gear etc but that's an advantage IMO.

Phil Short (the ex rally co driver chap) wrote a decent book on hillclimbing & sprints if you can find a reasonably priced copy: http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/1845841034

Definitely friendly, we're a great bunch. ;D

Certainly are! Been very accommodating of me popping along to events and getting some advice on things I need to sort on the car.

Can't wait to start competing next year :D  

#18 adamg1380

adamg1380

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

I wish I could make it down for some of the DEWS events, I should be at Harewood for the DEWS round if it's the same as this year but I think very few people make it up north for that (this year there was a round at Goodwood on the same weekend as well). It's a long haul from Yorkshire with the trailer on.

#19 mctaff

mctaff

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

If anyone would like a new hillclimb experience in 2014 come and have a go at the double header Dennis Motorsport Epynt Hillclimbs at Epynt in mid Wales. It runs on June 14th & 15th and is based near Brecon. Emphasis is on fun, have a look at Youtube for in car. It's the longest UK mainland hillclimb and has a quite steep climb as well. http://www.breconmotorclub.co.uk

Edited by mctaff, 28 December 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#20 mctaff

mctaff

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:15 AM

JMS_1400_900_SL2_zpsdcc7b9e8.jpg

Our sponsor, Brian Dennis, heading for 80 and getting quicker!

#21 mctaff

mctaff

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

A pic of Brian on one of our earlier hillclimbs.

Argggh_zps47258ead.jpg

#22 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

Loved doing Epynt on Saturday in the Ibiza last year, looking forward even more to doing both days in the Mini this year!

#23 KMP

KMP

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

My fianceé Natalie Gilbert races at Wiscombe Hill Climb which is about 1hr 30 mins from Bristol (if thats where you are from). Its a stunning hill climb, very picturesque! Some Amazing cars and really friendly people, here is the link to the website:

http://www.wiscombepark.co.uk/

Its run by Burnham Motor Club (who I am on the committee of) and I am not biased at all to it, it is genuinely a good and very challenging climb. There are quite a few minis that race there inc. the DEWS club but there is lots of classes for the minis too so you should have a good chance with what ever group you are in. Have a look on youtube at some videos, there is some I have uploaded on there.

Thanks

Kris

#24 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

I am entered in my first sprint at Goodwood 5th May - its the Bailey Sprint organised by the Brighton and Hove Motor Club.

I will also be entering the National Speed Trials in September on the seafront here in Brighton too.

Prep so far 

Me

National B non race licence

Clothing

I have my pricey FIA approved Sparco onesie   (used off e bay at a  fraction of its cost new) , Snell Helmet, (boots and gloves to buy) 

Car

Fabricated timing strut, yellow earth cable,  

I really shouldn't....... - my car is far too pretty but a lot of effort and cash went into tuning the engine and suspension and it seems a shame just to use it  pottering up to sunday summer classic car shows and not to use or exercise its performance - .....however much its behind more modern wheels.

Any advice /tips welcome. 

Best

Matt

Edited by Matt Brighton, 09 February 2018 - 08:11 PM.

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

what class? MSA regs?

#26 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Thanks Nick

C1 Production road going  up to 1400

extract from supplementary regs...

The Meeting will be held under the General Regulations of The Motor Sports Association 

All Competitors must be holders of a 2018 MSA National B, or National A Speed / Race or International Speed/Race Licence. Valid Membership Card, MSA Licences and MOT and Insurance (if in a Roadgoing class) must be produced for inspection when Competitors sign-on. 

Edited by Matt Brighton, 09 February 2018 - 09:31 PM.

#27 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:23 PM

ok so no FHR needed.

tyres need to be from the approved list.

the rest is next to no modifications unless allowed. 

check if you need gloves.

#28 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Nick...

Appreciate the reply very much.

Best

Matt - Brighton

#29 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:12 PM

Might see you at Goodwood! I am another local (Eastbourne) currently building my car for sprinting with the aim to going racing in a year or two. Won't be out this year in it but will be going to a few smaller sprint events in the area, doing the Spring sprint at Goodwood and might pop along to the Brighton and Hove one. Unfortunately Brighton speed trials clashes with other another event where I am away spannering. 

#30 Matt Brighton

Matt Brighton

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Alex,

If you do come to Goodwood - with or without car,  don't forget to pack your spanners  :proud:

best

matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users