Photo

Difference Between 3 Types Of Mini Brake Pedal.....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Below shows the difference between 3 types of Mini brake pedal.
They all have the pivot and clevis pin hole fixed to show the differences.
The first pedal is a standard drum brake pedal off a Mk1, the second pedal is a genuine S disc pedal and the third is a late 80's type pedal with the foot pad cut down to earlier size.
The Cooper S disc pedal has the foot pad approx 15mm higher than the drum brake pedal and the later pedal (Mk4 onwards) is another 20mm higher than the S.

Brake-pedals-1_zps33a29dd2.jpg

More info and discussions on the effect this has on braking feel, etc, when swapping brakes here on Mk1 forum:

http://mk1-forum.net....php?f=3&t=8121

MiniBrakePedals_zps34cfb1b4.jpg

brake-pedal-2_zpsc446f4fe.jpg

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, that should kill off any potential arguments in the footure!

What about the distance between the holes, is that the same on all three? I was led to believe the later pedal's are closer. The piccy also makes me wonder if later clutch pedals also differ, the offset looks huge if they are the same as original drummer.

#3 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

What about later drum braked minis(late 70s early 80s) would their pedals be the same as the mk1? Would factory cars with a servo use the third pedal along in your pic?

#4 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

There's only one dual circuit pedal, unless the horizontal servo one also has dimension changes. They're all done for reserve pedal travel, so no reason to alter for the horizontal master with the largest bore of the lot.

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,776 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

What about later drum braked minis(late 70s early 80s) would their pedals be the same as the mk1? Would factory cars with a servo use the third pedal along in your pic?

Later drum braked Mini's would use the Mk4 pedal box with the larger footpads which became standard across the range.......same as the third pedal in pic. Not sure about the drum braked Mk3's were they upgraded to Mk1 S pedals.....?

The later horizontal/cantilever type servo pedal is also the same as Mk4 I believe but just has a different pushrod arrangement fitted, as Ethel says all done for reserve pedal travel and beefing up the pedal metal thickness. Investigation started because some on the Mk1 forum had found poor brakes when fitting S discs to drum braked Mk1's without also swapping over to disc type S brake pedal.

Edited by mab01uk, 08 December 2013 - 11:23 AM.

#6 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

I've moved this into the FAQs so it can be found again for those looking

#7 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,372 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

I have a late Mk3 pedal, from after the demise of the "S" it's the standard type. I also used it with S discs (single circuit) with no issues.

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Its actually good to see pictures to back up all of the various comments made about the different pedals and their respective angles etc.

Just to add i have a MK3 Clubman that had drums and now converted to 7.5" discs along with a Cooper S master cylinder. Small brake pedal and to be honest it works well and i'm more than happy with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users