#1 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Local Club: Classic Car Owners Group

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:36 PM

hi, i have a clubby and i no longer use the fresh air vents.. i have removed the scoops from the engine bay and the pipe that runs in the tire weld.. now im left with the plastic hole that connects to the inside of the car.. how do i close it off from the outside without removing the plastic things? i noticed the driver side has a bigger black plastic than the left.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. thanks 

#2 Marco1972

Marco1972

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi I'm not sure about closing off the plastic air vents without removing them and welding up the holes
There is a company called smiffys bits over here who sell the blanking plugs and other stainless steel parts youq still have to remove the plastic vents to fit though
Other than that your going down the bodge route I would guess expanding foam ?? Then trim off the excess ??

#3 humph

humph

How bad can it Be?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:29 PM

I've just removed speakers from my vents and put vents back in. The holes in the bulkhead on mine had been plugged with the caps off spray aerosols. They we're put in from behind the dash with the top of the cap facing the front of the car. They were a good fit, and until I removed the dash I had no idea they were ther.

#4 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:27 AM

truth is i thought i closed it up from the inside and i did but the other day when i passed through a flooded area i noticed the tire kicked the water into the vent.. especially on the driver side as clubmans have a big black housing that connects to the hose that can easily collect water.. and some water did leak in.. so thats why im trying to figure out how to close it from the outside.. good suggestions above but will that stop water leaking through? cause thats my main concern really.. :)

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

remove it all and weld the holes up is your only option..

#6 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:48 PM

The cars that left the factory without fresh air vents used a blanking plate in place of the plastic adaptors. They were bolted in. You could make up something similar if you wanted to avoid welding. But you still need to remove the plastic part.

I assume you don't have a heater fitted?

#7 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

nope no heater fitted.. i have an air conditioning unit though.. the holes are covered from the inside but somehow leaks a bit when i go through flooded roads.. so thats a problem.. i dont want to weld it up because i want to have that option of going back to the original setup.. although these blanking plates seem like a good idea.. where can i get them from?

#8 Vipernoir

Vipernoir

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Local Club: Minis Unlimited

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:08 PM

I've blocked a few up over the years - unscrew the plastic adaptor and replace it with a metal disc.  I normally just cut a circle out of steel and paint it.
You will need to put some kind of gasket between the disc and the inner wing to prevent leaks.

#9 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:40 PM

i see.. well seems like thats the only way forward i assume.. will see if i can get it done..

#10 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

these are the ones from smiffy bits, Like vipernoir said a gasket would be a good idea.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a358f3beb

#11 leepol83

leepol83

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I think the only proper way is to take out the plastic bits and replace with these below.
Maby put some seal around them to make water tight.
Ha ha!!! Looks like some one beat me to it

Attached Files

Edited by leepol83, 09 January 2014 - 06:34 PM.

#12 daenesh

daenesh

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

thanks a lot guys.. never expected this many replies and im thankful ..will definitely get it done that way

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users