#31 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

That isn't a CB

Have a look at this one on eBay 121130188351. They do a kit as well just look at his shop

I believe the Minor is not Multi-standard and only 40 channels on 27/81.

The TTi 550 is one of the cheapest multi-standard CB's about. They have around 6 different settings to make them legal through out Europe, and of course the UK 40 channels too. They have a very good receive too, mine is better than all my other CB's in that respect. A gutter mount works well on a Mini, but contrary to what has been said the grub screws do need to break the paint in the gutter for a good earth, worth painting around the area once fitted.

Then there's the mag mount, bear in mind the coax could rub some paint off your roof if you use it a lot.

Plenty of TTI's and starter kits on ebay http://www.ebay.co.u...cat=0&_from=R40

Jan will be open to doing you a better deal on the phone

CB http://www.uk4x4cent...-550-multi.html

Gutter mount http://www.uk4x4cent...cb-antenna.html

Antenna http://www.uk4x4cent...cb-antenna.html

I like this one, but probably too dear and it isn't quite perfect http://www.uk4x4cent...ro-classic.html

Edited by Artstu, 18 January 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#32 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:12 AM

Multi-standard CBs are NOT legal in Europe, if they have UK channels. They may be legal, in a few EU countries only, if they have AM or SSB in addition to FM, on the CEPT channels only, but in that case they are completely illegal in the UK.

Edit: On my most recent Mini, I drilled the centre of the roof and put the antenna in its proper place. It does make a huge difference, but I do fully understand why many of you would not want to disfigure your cars in that way.

Edited by tiger99, 19 January 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#33 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

Multi-standard CBs are NOT legal in Europe, if they have UK channels. They may be legal, in a few EU countries only, if they have AM or SSB in addition to FM, on the CEPT channels only, but in that case they are completely illegal in the UK.

It would help if you provide a link to your erroneous claim?

Multi standard was brought about to simplify the manufacture and use of CB radio across Europe.

http://www.thunderpo...adio-guide.html

#34 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

It would help if you provide a link adhe r tually owingour erroneous claim?

Multi standard was brought about to simplify the manufacture and use of CB radio across Europe.

http://www.thunderpo...adio-guide.html

Also, in the UK you are only breaking the law if you transmit, so actually owning it makes no difference - not 100% sure about other EU countries, but I think they will be the same.

#35 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

NO! UK law is about IMPORTING and OWNING and you can go to jail for importing or owning an illegal CB radio. (They get you under a different part of the law for transmitting.)  I understand that many EU countries take a similar view about equipment which has the UK channels, but I will have to leave it to someone who understands the appropriate languages to dig out the info.

http://www.ofcom.org...nt/restrict.htm

Some other interesting info here:

http://stakeholders....enforcement/law

http://stakeholders....s/ecc-decision/

Much to my surprise, it seems that AM and SSB may soon be legalised, but on the CEPT frequencies only, definitely not the UK frequencies. Bad idea, there will be significant consequences. Note that the expected date for becoming legal is some time this year, i.e. not yet, and it follows that there will not be any legal type-approved equipment on the market until the spec is finalised, so NO equipment with AM or SSB modes is currently legal in the UK, and existing equipment never will be.

http://stakeholders....-band-radio.pdf

#36 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:42 AM

You haven't addressed my question Tiger99? all I see is more waffling from someone who isn't up to date on matters relating to CB radio, but still feels the need to stick his nose in and give his view again, no surprise there.

The thread isn't titled 'What are you views on this that and the other' no one wants to know what you think. Please just stick to the facts.

As an example of your ill informed opinion here is a CB that conforms to the soon to be introduced standard http://www.thunderpo...t-grant-ii.html

Not that any of this matters now, since the OP just wants to borrow some CB's for his trip.

and for anyone genuinely interested in CB rather than spitting hairs here's a video of the new President Grant II in action.

Edited by Artstu, 20 January 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#37 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:57 AM

It is you who are waffling, with ill-informed comment about multi-mode CBs being legal in Europe, which could result in gullible users ending up having them confiscated, or worse. No radio equipment is legal in any country unless it is approved, and nothing can ever be approved before the standard is finalised, despite claims to the contrary by manufacturers. No CB with UK channels is legal to take outside the UK, and if you search the net you will find plenty of information to back that up.

The simple FACT that the OP needs to know is that a CEPT FM ONLY set is legal right now in all of Europe and the UK. However, this was subverted by lots of manifestly incorrect opinions.

#38 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Apologies tiger99, it does appear that you are correct if this document from 2006 is correct. 

http://stakeholders....cbinfosheet.pdf

Can I use my CB radio abroad? 
2.10 You will not be permitted to use CB equipment which incorporates the UK channels 
(27.60125-27.99125 MHz, i.e. UK Channels 1-40), abroad. 
2.11 Use of CB equipment abroad, with EU channels only as denoted in and based on 
ETS 300 135, is likely to be permitted, but prior to travelling you must check with the 
administration of the country concerned whether it may be used and whether any 
conditions apply. 
2.12 When operating abroad, you must comply with the conditions of authorisation of the 
country which you are visiting

I still believe that this thinking is out of date. One of my CB's is an export radio from Europe with 27/81 UK channels. I need to see if the CEPT CB's are still available here.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever actually had their CB confiscated whilst on holiday in Europe because it has the 27/81 UK channels, I get the feeling it is highly unlikely.

It is certainly a confusing situation, with all CB suppliers saying Multi-standard CB's are legal across Europe.

with ill-informed comment about multi-mode CBs being legal in Europe

I've not commented on multi-mode CB's in Europe yet, I imagine that's another confusing ball-game too.

Edited by Artstu, 21 January 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#39 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:21 PM

This issue isn't so black and white, the consensus of opinion is that the Ofcom statement is no longer correct, and even at the time in 2006 it was then a matter of Ofcom erring on the side of caution.

This document is more up to date, but doesn't actually address the issue raised by Ofcom's 2006 statement.

http://z1.ifrm.com/2.../ECCDEC1103.pdf

Thunderpole say 

Hi Stu,

The information on the Ofcom website must be outdated as all the multi-band radios are designed to be used all around Europe.  In fact they sell the same radios all across Europe, with the UK band in.

We have never known of anyone having their radio confiscated because of it having the UK band in.

Regards,

Andy Barker

Edited by Artstu, 21 January 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#40 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thunderpole do not have any legal standing to make a statement like that. It is no different to the situation in the car spares industry, where seemingly reputable suppliers sell a number of products which are unsatisfactory or even unsafe or illegal. Businesses exist purely to make money, indeed it is the legal duty of the board of directors to maximise return to the shareholders, by maximising sales of their products. It is not Thunderpole who may be arrested by an over-zealous Gendarme and taken to a French court, and I am reliably informed that in Poland the police are very fond of issuing bogus on the spot fines, with serious consequences for anyone who resists.

Europe operates under "Roman law", guilty until proved innocent, and that which is not specifically allowed by law is illegal, whereas the several legal systems in the UK all operate under "common law", where you are, in theory at least, innocent until proved guilty, and everything is legal unless specifically banned by law. I for one am always very careful about complying with the local laws on my annual drive to Europe, often Italy, but Poland this year. I advise everyone to do the same. You can't lose by keeping out of trouble.

To be sure that there would not be a problem in Europe by having a set with CB27/81 capability you would probably need to ask the administration of every country that you were going to visit, and even then find an official who had heard of CB27/81. But unless specifically legalised, it is automatically illegal in any country in mainland Europe, albeit in Italy the government long ago lost control of the RFspectrum to all kinds of pirates, so enforcement there is unlikely. But Germany, and especially France, can be remarkably intolerant where technical standards are concerned.

#41 SAM747

SAM747

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Personally what I see is going on here is scaremongering by people who really don't know there but hole from their elbow !!
I have been a INTERNATIONAL TRUCK DRIVER for well over 20years and 3million miles under my belt I have never been stopped for using my radio or ever had one taken from me ! I have been all over Europe and I mean all over from Iran North Africa Eastern Block country's up to the north of Arctic wastelands of Norway / Sweden as long as you are sensible keep you eye out for the cops and not use it wile driving or let the passenger to all the banter you will have no problems if you get stopped by Froggy or Polish or where ever you drive to. Say you want to go to the police station and ALWAYS carry the phone number of the English consulate of that country believe me it works wonders I have peed of police even customs officials ! BUT ring them if you have to not just for using you CB any problems at all as they will translate for you to and get you out of most pickles !

As regarding CB laws as long as you radio is EU - CB norm approved you will have no trouble just make sure you on EU channels for Europe and just keep it to FM ! And you may even meet up with like minded people or even chat with someone back in the UK it is possible !

ARTSTU gave a nice little list of kit to get at the top of page 3 just buy one SWR meter to go around every one

Anyway have Nice pleasant trip where ever you go to !

Edited by SAM747, 22 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#42 SAM747

SAM747

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

[quote name="ibrooks" post="2969458" timestamp="1389699710"][quote name="Kieranlee999" post="2969025" timestamp="1389634835"]
CB radio all use the same band and frequencies and modes all the way around the world (27Mhz) so it doesnt matter what CB you get.
[/quote] 
Knowingly or not you are talking out of your fundamental orifice.

The American Citizens Band is actually an AM frequency - it's not a band you can use legally in the UK but you often see yankee sets for sale over here. Whether these people know what they are selling is useless and are just looking to make a few quid from a sucker or not is up to you to decide. In the UK we use FM. So that blows "all the way around the world" out of the water - not only do they use a different frequency, they also use a different carrier technology.

As I said in my post there are 20 channels allocated for UK use which are not legal on the continent. There are a further 20 channels allocated for use in Europe but these are also legal in the UK. Since you are planning to use them on the continent you need a set that can use the EU20 channels. You get 40 channel sets that can switch between both the UK and EU bands.

SORRY UTTER RUBBISH UK has 80 channels as dose Germany most others have 40 channels

Burners are also illegal - not to mention f***ing annoying for anyone else trying to use the band in the area. Get a decent antenna and tune it properly and you should have plenty range for convoy use.

Iain[/quote][quote name="tiger99" post="2971389" timestamp="1389914073"]

Edited by SAM747, 22 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#43 SAM747

SAM747

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

NO! UK law is about IMPORTING and OWNING and you can go to jail for importing or owning an illegal CB radio.

http://stakeholders....-band-radio.pdf

More UTTER DOGS DANGLERS Do you really know what your on about mate ? 1000s of non conforming radio are legally imported every week just stand at Dover docks and see all the trucks coming in the country with CB radios fitted that come from all over Europe and all the non conforming radios that are also sold in UK CB and HAM RADIO shops that have no UK/EU conformity at all I think you got more bull than a cattle farmer matey !

Edited by SAM747, 22 January 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#44 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:34 AM

All the major CB Manufactures make one version now of the same radio, which is made to the new standards set by each counrty and the frequencies and mode of transmission used, when the radios are powered on the country code is set and therfore the UK Frequencies are not able to be used or displayed whilst the CB is set and being used in another european country.

I am a licensed radio amateur and also use CB since the days back in the 70s on AM CBs imported from the states, and use Amateur HF radios daily of my 10 radio collection, I dont see why "significant consequences" will be the outcome of the new leglistaion being implemented by ofcom this summer? the primary user of the band at present on the mode in those frequencies is the MOD who  have been consulted as to the band and with ofcom announcing the date I assume they have no objection.

There was problems on AM causing interference to TVs back in the 70s, but TV electronics have changed, If you believe that once the new leglisation comes into force everyone will run out and buy the new CBs and connect burners and wipe out the TVs ? thats not goint to be the case. Most people are not aware the CB operator who didn't want to chat to their mate across town on severely restricted FM CBs stuck with AM and made contacts around the world.

I have a 27mhz and a 2m mag mount in my Mini and pop the coax out the rear opening window and the magmount central for a good swr and 2 strip of tape stop the coax chafffing the paint

I see we have some CT members here on TMF then ;D

Edited by KernowCooper, 23 January 2014 - 01:42 AM.

#45 Artstu

Artstu

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:46 AM

I see we have some CT members here on TMF then ;D

You do indeed, I recently returned to CB for a bit of a change, also on the ham bands too  :proud:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users