Photo
- - - - -

40Th Anniversary Or Mini Cooper Sports Le?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 kiwiminime

kiwiminime

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi I'm from New Zealand and I'm looking to import a mini.

In terms of buying a later model one - I can only import a special edition as our import laws are very strict.

What late models (1998 - 2000) are highly sought after in the UK and will be in hot demand for the next 3 years +?

I'm looking at a couple of 40th Anniversary Mini Coopers (1999) and a Mini Cooper Sports LE (1998).

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!

#2 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Cooper Sport LE's are holding good prices at the moment and are popular. If you are looking at the 40, then you should also consider the John Cooper Limited Edition which is based on the same model but had a smaller run. If the budget will stretch then later John Cooper Garage Conversions, Si, S and S-wks are all fetching good money but getting a decent one if getting tricky

If its considered a limited edition,  the Cooper Sports 500 are a nailed on investment and have risen steadily for the last couple of years.

#3 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:52 AM

If you can find one, then it has to be the Island blue Mini 40 for me  :geek:  :geek: :wub:

Peggy-Soo.jpg

#4 kiwiminime

kiwiminime

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

So would you put the Cooper Sport LE ahead of the 40 given that there were less Cooper Sport LE's produced?

What would be the UK preference if they both had similar styling e.g British racing green and white stripes?

spBavYn.jpg

r9WkiOX.jpg

What would you pay for each vehicle in the UK with less than 30,000 miles?

Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by kiwiminime, 16 January 2014 - 12:21 AM.

#5 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

Why don't you buy one that you like rather than going by value? 

#6 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

If you are looking at importing a Japanese Mini, be aware that the 1997 through 2000 are very different animals from the UK versions. Besides the air conditioning, the engine block and ignition system are from an MPI but the injection system and radiator are from a SPI. The ECU is unique to the Japanese models.

Additionally, the limited editions for the UK had a unique VIN number. I have a 1994 Japanese Mini Cooper Montecarlo that is BRG instead of black or red like the UK versions even though all the other interior features are there and the VIN number is for a standard Cooper.

#7 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

If you are looking at importing a Japanese Mini, be aware that the 1997 through 2000 are very different animals from the UK versions. Besides the air conditioning, the engine block and ignition system are from an MPI but the injection system and radiator are from a SPI. The ECU is unique to the Japanese models.

Additionally, the limited editions for the UK had a unique VIN number. I have a 1994 Japanese Mini Cooper Montecarlo that is BRG instead of black or red like the UK versions even though all the other interior features are there and the VIN number is for a standard Cooper.

Would love to see a pic of that Monty!

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

You probably have seen them before....

IMG_0112_zps0d61ff14.jpg

IMG_0105_zpsc0256a8a.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

#9 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

go for the 40th ann mini Burgandy red....... :wub: :wub: :wub:

#10 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

You probably have seen them before....

I know, cant help myself  :D

#11 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

So would you put the Cooper Sport LE ahead of the 40 given that there were less Cooper Sport LE's produced?

What would be the UK preference if they both had similar styling e.g British racing green and white stripes?

What would you pay for each vehicle in the UK with less than 30,000 miles?

Thanks a lot guys!

Price wise is a bit tricky at the moment, last year I would have said you could pick up a decent model for around £5K but there are a lot of silly prices being put up again at the moment, so a low mileage, good condition your you could up to 5-7K.

Personally I prefer the black but that cause I got a bit bored with BRGs

I'm a bit fan of the Taihti blue on the late MPIs, I think they stand out the best, especially with the chrome facias

#12 kiwiminime

kiwiminime

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Cool thanks guys - is there much of a price difference between the Cooper Sport LE's and the 40th Anniversary ones in the UK?

What interiors are more sought after…

Cooper Sport LE

3tAVCHP.jpg

40th Anniversary

WEfS6SO.jpg

#13 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:46 AM

Mulberry Grenadine Red for me, but I'm biased  :D

paddy1.jpg

#14 kiwiminime

kiwiminime

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Been seeing a lot of 40th Anniversary Minis with automatic gearboxes - anyone have any experience with these?

What are they like? Is it worth waiting for a manual? 

Thanks

#15 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Been seeing a lot of 40th Anniversary Minis with automatic gearboxes - anyone have any experience with these?

What are they like? Is it worth waiting for a manual? 

Thanks

Can't say I would be a fan as it takes the fun out of it for me. Fine if you want an early 850 to do the driving miss daisy routine but not on a 1275. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users