185 replies to this topic

#16 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:33 PM

Nice first project Chris, In at the deep end huh? Glad to see you're tackling it properly though by completely stripping the shell first. I sense lots of parcels from M-Machine in your future.

Stripping stone chip is just about the worst thing to spend a day or two doing. At least you don't have to do it lying under the car though. Sadly coming off is the one thing it is designed not to do, and it does it quite well. I know what you mean about it clogging grinding wheels. You could try a fibreglass wheel brush on a power drill (I don't expect steel brushes will touch it), but unfortunately the best method is just to keep using the chisel and heat. It will be worth it in the end!

Good luck with the rest.

#17 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:29 PM

No filler in a 72 pickup! sounds like you've got a good one. Mine didnt have any filler in it but then again it doesnt have much metal either :D
Are you doing all the work yourself or getting a garage to help you out?

Yeh was a bit 'in at the deep end' dan but the pickup was already in the family and my first mini had just died when i found that the pickup existed.
M-Machine already know me well as ive had about £300 worth of panels from them already and they have lots more business coming their way.

Ive just spent all morning stripping more underseal and there is still acres more to do. Ive done the inside and outside of the floors but am struggling with the space between the floor and the loadbed as i just cant get at some places :D
I think this is one of the worst jobs i have to do on this project but at least you can see the difference.

#18 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

You mean inside, where the spare wheel lives? That must be really tough to get at.

Wish I had a pickup, always wanted one. Very cool car.

#19 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

Yeh under where the spare wheel was. Its underseal thats had about 10 coats of waxol as well, so its not easy to shift.
Pickups are wikid, i never thought i would find one but this one found me. Good thing really as the barn it was living in was being converted soon so it was about to be scraped :D

#20 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:25 PM

Ok ive got the new inner cill in and all lined up, took me ages to get it just right but it looks good now. I was so involved in it all i forgot about work :D only 5 mins late though. I was a big turning point putting the first bit back on and now i really feel like ive done something. Hopefully ill get it welded in tomorrow and ill post a pic of my handy work then.

#21 lewis

lewis

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:20 PM

pleased its going well for you, sounds like a really fun project actually, fixing a pickup mini. cant wait to see the pics

#22 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

Heres the floorpan in and nearly lined up

Attached Files

#23 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

and the extention i have yet to fabricate

Attached Files

#24 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

Well the cill and floor bit are in now and all welded up. I dont think it looks to bad for my first ever weld.

Attached Files

#25 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:19 AM

Heres the patch ive made for the floor extention, im welding it in today.

Attached Files

#26 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:45 PM

And the patch is in. It was a real fiddle but i think it looks ok now.
Now all i have to do is strip all the surface rust out of the cill and put the outewr cill on then that half floor is done :grin:

Attached Files

#27 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:54 PM

Looking really good. Still so much to do!

before you put the outer on, what are you protecting the inside with?

#28 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:27 PM

Well first in going to strip all the loose rust off with a faceoff disk and a grit blaster, then treat any deap pitting with the old jenolite, then etch pimer and hammerite antirust primer, followed by as much waxol as i can get in there.
Anything else i should do?

what do you guys think about the vents in the outer cill? Should i leave them standard or is it best to seal them up? They were sealed up when i got the pickup, the cills were filled with expanding foam and filler had been pushed into the vents.

#29 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:09 PM

Expanding foam? You're kidding.

Definitely don't block the sill vents. This can only lead to bad things. Some of the dodgier oversills have no vents punched in them, they're terrible.

The thing with leaving bare primer in the sills is that most primer is porous so it soaks up water which sits on the metal. Although I don't know about hammerite. Primer/sealer however is not. That is what I would use, or a colour coat over the primer. Make sure whatever you use is 'weld-thru' though.

There are such things as cavity waxes. I think these are slightly different to normal Waxoyl, in that they foam up to fill the cavity and last longer. But it could be just another name for Waxoyl.

#30 Pickup76

Pickup76

Ring Runner 2005

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:27 PM

The whole car had, had a going over by a rust proofing company. It had foam filled cills with blocked vents. Also the whole underside of the car and inside has been coated in some kind of underseal zebart thing which is a real pain to get off.

Hadn't thought about the primer being porous, i suppose thats the whole point of primer. Ok ill have to re think the paint stratergy, where do you get primer sealer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users