#1 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Local Club: Cyprus Mini Club

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hey, i have an Austin Mini 1000, 1979, and i am experiencing problems when my car hits potholes (small or big) or road bumps.... i hear some squeaking noise noise front and rear of the car an on all four wheels, some kind of suspension problems... when the hits the potholes i feel like the suspension is not properly attached and is going to fell off or something. It is very annoying when your driving.
            I Have change the Steering Rack so its new, 
            Last month i replaced rubber cones with Spring set and Hi-Lo setup.. 

So I replaced this parts hopefully that the ride is going to be much more comfortable. and still the same ? 
Please tell me what to check ? is there anything else ? HELP ME !!

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Are you using lowered dampers?

#3 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

Which spring setup did you go for? Some are not worth the bother and are worse then the old cones - the only spring setup that is worth the money is the Minitastic one, I have it and have experienced new cones and much prefer the springs so either something is incorrect on the installation (too low, springs not seated etc) or you have the lesser quality springs - is it possible for you to put some pictures of the installation on here? I could tell you if anything looks amiss - Ive installed my own springs so know what to look for.

Of course, it could be ball joints or knuckle joints if they were not replaced.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Check the front subframe mounts especially the rear ones to see if they are not damaged at all. It will also pay you to look at the front toe board to see if there is any cracking / rust around there.

The rear again could be down to wear and tear on the subframe mounts and also the radius arm pins.

#5 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hey, thank you for your answers... I have Soft spring setup with Hi los from Mini Spares UK, and my dampers are not adjustable  
Ball joints and Knuckle Joints were replaced..

Edited by psoutzis, 19 January 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#6 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Anything ??

#7 minisilverbullet

minisilverbullet

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts
  • Name: Craig

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

I would follow this advice

Check the front subframe mounts especially the rear ones to see if they are not damaged at all. It will also pay you to look at the front toe board to see if there is any cracking / rust around there.

The rear again could be down to wear and tear on the subframe mounts and also the radius arm pins.

#8 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Which spring setup did you go for? Some are not worth the bother and are worse then the old cones - the only spring setup that is worth the money is the Minitastic one, I have it and have experienced new cones and much prefer the springs so either something is incorrect on the installation (too low, springs not seated etc) or you have the lesser quality springs - is it possible for you to put some pictures of the installation on here? I could tell you if anything looks amiss - Ive installed my own springs so know what to look for.

Of course, it could be ball joints or knuckle joints if they were not replaced.

#9 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

Soft springs from mini spares uk, did i make a mistake for buying them rather than the medium ones ?

#10 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

?????

#11 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

NO COIL SPRINGS WILL WORK CORRECTLY IN A MINI.

This subject has been discussed here many times. For track use, where there is always just the driver on board, they can be ok, but for road use, never, especially if you sometimes carry passengers. The short wishbone  length of the Mini severely limits suspension travel, and so only a suspension medium (rubber cones) with rapidly rising rate, or a hydropneumatic system like some Citroens, can keep the suspension within its safe working range under all conditions. Very hard coil springs would also be acceptable, but the ride would be intolerably hard, and the raodholding would be degraded.

Soft springs are dangerous, as they will allow the front upper arms to bang against the bump stops, which will have a very short life. When they fail, the next thing to go will be the ball joints, probably resulting in a serious accident.

#12 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

NO COIL SPRINGS WILL WORK CORRECTLY IN A MINI.

This subject has been discussed here many times. For track use, where there is always just the driver on board, they can be ok, but for road use, never, especially if you sometimes carry passengers. The short wishbone  length of the Mini severely limits suspension travel, and so only a suspension medium (rubber cones) with rapidly rising rate, or a hydropneumatic system like some Citroens, can keep the suspension within its safe working range under all conditions. Very hard coil springs would also be acceptable, but the ride would be intolerably hard, and the raodholding would be degraded.

Soft springs are dangerous, as they will allow the front upper arms to bang against the bump stops, which will have a very short life. When they fail, the next thing to go will be the ball joints, probably resulting in a serious accident.

That's interesting.

I've also been concerned about the life of the short torsion bar that the little springs are limited to. But maybe the short stroke counters that.

#13 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:18 PM

Ok but i dont have any problems with the front upper arms to bang against the bump stops!
If i replace my dampers with gaz adjustable ? Would that make a difference?
Now i have some old OIL "Gabriel" dampers

#14 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Actually, you do have a serious problem if you are banging the bump stops, because as I said, when they fail, as they certainly will, the ball joints will fail shortly afterwards, possibly causing a very serious accident. In its present state your car is unsafe.

#15 psoutzis

psoutzis

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

What do you advice me to do ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users