31 replies to this topic

#16 kopi

kopi

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

So I failed. My Makita HR2020 couldn't drill reliably. Too much torque to hold steady while I was in a semi awkward position with the car jacked up. Looks like I'll have to do an engine out operation but that's further down the road ... Thanks all though ... Meanwhile I'm gonna try to drill a bolt and get a magnetic rod inserted. Not ideal but oh well ...

#17 GuamMini

GuamMini

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Local Club: Guam Classics

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:33 PM

magnetic%20sump%20plug_zpsvwrqk1ym.jpg

Is this drain plug supposed to fit in any year mini?

#18 Northernpower

Northernpower

Mr. 7-Port

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts
  • Name: Graham
  • Local Club: Its out there somewhere

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:41 PM

The picture doesn't work.

#19 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:57 PM

all of the Mini gearbox casings used the same sump plug.

which does not mean your gearbox has the original thread size in it.

#20 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

The picture doesn't work.

Probably due to Photobucket's sharing policy .. you can't without paying them a large amount!

#21 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Funnily enough I had the very same problem recently on my car. Bought a magnetic sump plug and it was far too small. Mind my car is an Innocenti so knowing them it might just be a different plug. 

#22 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Funnily enough I had the very same problem recently on my car. Bought a magnetic sump plug and it was far too small. Mind my car is an Innocenti so knowing them it might just be a different plug. 

I am not aware that they used a different size.

#23 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

I will consult the Inno oracles and let you know. 

#24 Mini Carter

Mini Carter

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 02:05 AM

I realize that this thread is years old, but I'm interested in knowing what you found about the Innocenti plug size.  I have a 1975 Mini 1000 that was built in Portugal.   I ordered a magnetic drain plug and it is considerably smaller than the plug in my engine.  I had to put the old plug back in to finish the oil change, and I didn't measure the thread on it first.  I'm hoping someone might know the size of the larger plug, if it is a factory plug.  

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 08:59 AM

I realize that this thread is years old, but I'm interested in knowing what you found about the Innocenti plug size.  I have a 1975 Mini 1000 that was built in Portugal.   I ordered a magnetic drain plug and it is considerably smaller than the plug in my engine.  I had to put the old plug back in to finish the oil change, and I didn't measure the thread on it first.  I'm hoping someone might know the size of the larger plug, if it is a factory plug.  

Reading between the lines here but are you saying that your current larger plug does not have the magnetic bit on it?

there were a few options available if the gearbox casing threads got pulled out these rarely had magnets on them.

I am still sure all Minis had the same oil drain plug from any of the factories.

#26 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:21 AM

Cor Blimey, that's been a while. Uhm, yes. As far as I know they should (and I say SHOULD) all be the same. Innocenti didn't cast their own engines or gearboxes they all came from the UK and are MOWOG items. But I have the exact same problem as you Mini Carter, bought a magnetic bung and the threads don't even touch the ones in the casing. All very odd. All I can imagine is that it was once overtightened, threads got ruined and someone cut larger ones to fit whatever bung they could get their hands on? I have a few other gearboxes and engines kicking about but to be honest I've not bothered checking it against those. yet. 

#27 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 10:53 AM

Standard sump plug is 5/8" UNC thread.

You can drill and tap out up to M20 - Spider does a good write up of doing that here: https://www.theminif...ead-repair-kit/

#28 Miki Leyland

Miki Leyland

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:21 AM

Reading between the lines here but are you saying that your current larger plug does not have the magnetic bit on it?

there were a few options available if the gearbox casing threads got pulled out these rarely had magnets on them.

I am still sure all Minis had the same oil drain plug from any of the factories.

Well, not quite. AUTHI in Spain (which manufactured their own blocks and gearboxes) have a metric thread.

#29 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 10:20 AM

Well, not quite. AUTHI in Spain (which manufactured their own blocks and gearboxes) have a metric thread.

Good to know, thanks. The none UK built cars always bring differences that we don’t know about. Like the Authi  “CV”s

#30 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 02:51 PM

Standard sump plug is 5/8" UNC thread.

You can drill and tap out up to M20 - Spider does a good write up of doing that here: https://www.theminif...ead-repair-kit/

BSW I believe although very similar to UNC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users