Photo

Which Of These Wheel Sizes Would You Go For...

Best Answer james962 , 04 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

What arches do you have? standard or sportspack?

How far within the arches do your current wheels sit? With an offset of 34, you can then measure (or use spacers) to find what offset you need to have the wheels sitting where you want. You will need to take into account the width of your current & new wheels if these are different (I assume the new wheels will be wider).

Also, as you have an MPI with 12" wheels, I assume you have the standard 8.4" front brakes? These will need to be changed to smaller brakes if you want 10" wheels.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bell-nose

Bell-nose

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

All,

I have been pouring through the forums to try and find the best answer for this as i'm now at the point where i need to make a choice. I have a 1998 mini Mpi on 12" wheels and i want to change the wheels now while i'm doing a restoration and keep the rover ones stored away. I have the following options but whist i understand the lower the ofset to zero means that the wheels stick out more (the original ones had an offset of 34) and minus obviously sticks out even more, i have no idea how that translates to what i want. I can get the following wheel and tyre combinations:

Option 1 - Superlite 5 x 12 Alloys with Yoko A539 Tyres = ET14

Option 2 - Superlite 5.5 x 12 Alloys with Yoko A539 Tyres = ET10

Option 3 - Minator 5 x 10 Alloys with A008 Tyres = ET19

Option 4 - Minator 6 x 10 Alloys with A008 tyres = ET06

Option 5 - Supalite 6 x 10 Alloys with A008 Tyres = ET-03

What i want is the best handling and performing car on the best rim size that fills the arches without fouling that can handle a blend of twisty roads and motorway miles when being driven.

I also want the car to be the softest it can and give the most comfort.

I understand that 10's will require a change in disc size and i'm not bothered about the cost especially, i want the car to spot on.

Can anyone help me find the best option for each wheel size - i also don't want to use spacers to fill the arches.

Many Thanks.

#2 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

I would personally choose the Minator 6x10s. It's really just your styling preference.

#3 james962

james962

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:10 PM   Best Answer

What arches do you have? standard or sportspack?

How far within the arches do your current wheels sit? With an offset of 34, you can then measure (or use spacers) to find what offset you need to have the wheels sitting where you want. You will need to take into account the width of your current & new wheels if these are different (I assume the new wheels will be wider).

Also, as you have an MPI with 12" wheels, I assume you have the standard 8.4" front brakes? These will need to be changed to smaller brakes if you want 10" wheels.

#4 Bell-nose

Bell-nose

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks i'll try that approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users