Jo7571

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Local Club: Wirral Minis

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hi

Did anyone actually get and fit any of these systems and if so what are they like?  

I'm looking at getting one for mine but have no idea which one as they all sound much the muchness so I'm after reviews please.

Thanks

#32 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

I've got the Minivation one in my car, so far every time i have rung it, it tells me exactly where it is and I've always had top class help from them when ever i needed it

#33 Jo7571

Jo7571

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:55 AM

ok, thanks for your help.

#34 661

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Does this have it's own battery backup? Any thief who gets past the A series spares alarm will disconnect the battery

#35 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:58 PM

As far as I know it has its own battery which will last 16hours if disconnected from the main battery x

#36 blueturbomini

blueturbomini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

it does have it's own battery

#37 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

Anyone use one of these on a car that's mostly garaged? Presumably it's going to flatten the car battery eventually if it doesn't get run regularly- Anyone have any idea how long that would take?

#38 neon*girl

neon*girl

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:19 AM

Have you tried contacting Minivation?

They are super helpful and usually get back to you within a few hours x

#39 veloria

veloria

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

I hadn't, but I just did on your suggestion and Ben got back to me in minutes. I'm used to waiting days to get emails back from Mini companies (if at all!) so this is a very pleasant surprise.

So in answer to my own question (in case anyone has the same one): It'll flatten your car's battery in 3 weeks, so a trickle charger is probably the way to go.

Edited by veloria, 01 May 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#40 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 11:52 AM

On a slightly different note, is anyone unfortunate enough to have had any experience of having to use one of these in anger? Just wondering how willing the Police are to take an owners information on where the car is, and actually go after it. If they are not interested in pursuing the car with the location details provided, then they aren't much use.

#41 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

I hadn't, but I just did on your suggestion and Ben got back to me in minutes. I'm used to waiting days to get emails back from Mini companies (if at all!) so this is a very pleasant surprise.

So in answer to my own question (in case anyone has the same one): It'll flatten your car's battery in 3 weeks, so a trickle charger is probably the way to go.

mine is not the minivation one but one with additional functions from amazon and it takes a lot longer than 3 weeks to flatten my battery. I have a bosch 075 so maybe a normal mini one might not last so long. Ive never found out how long it takes to flatten as it has yet to happen but im sure its been left for at least 5 weeks before without use.

And yes It would be interesting to know what police response to one of these would be.

#42 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

On a slightly different note, is anyone unfortunate enough to have had any experience of having to use one of these in anger? Just wondering how willing the Police are to take an owners information on where the car is, and actually go after it. If they are not interested in pursuing the car with the location details provided, then they aren't much use.

If you have a reported stolen car and call the police telling them you know where it is they are duty bound to attend. It might take a bit though as it's not really an emergency.
It would help I'd think if you were to get to the location and personally see the car then report it.

#43 Team Loxley Racing

Team Loxley Racing

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Local Club: Cornish Mini Club

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:50 PM

Mine seems to of deceased. :/

#44 Jo7571

Jo7571

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

I've just ordered one today from minivation so will let you know how easy it is to fit and what it is like teacking wise once its fitted.

#45 TfcIan

TfcIan

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:40 PM

Bought one of these last year (might have even been 2013?) and it works great. I haven't tried all the fancy settings like movement detection etc. but whenever I've called it, it reports the position.

One thing to note is that you have to make sure the SIM card doesn't deactivate from lack of use. I can't remember the time for the Sainsburys one, I think it might be 6 months and then you have to phone them up to reactivate, but after a while longer it is permanently deactivated and you lose any credit. I found that out the hard way! I'm now using a Giffgaff SIM and set a monthly reminder on my phones calendar so I can regularly call it so it won't be deactivated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users