33 replies to this topic

#16 John H

John H

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

I may be interested in the brakes if you happened to have any pictures of what there is and I could make an offer/valuation :-)

#17 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

Its this kit in blue:

http://www.minisport...e-calipers.html

Cost £658.46

Covered around 1000 miles only. I can include the drive shaft if needed so that its a complete bolt on kit ready to go.

DSCF2139_zps50c2af3e.jpg

DSCF2140_zps9a170b55.jpg

EDIT: these Brakes now have a new home

No further valuation needed.

Edited by Elf is a mini, 17 February 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#18 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Any ideas on the heated front screen?

Very much like this one:

https://www.somerfor...oducts_id=13129

#19 Tiny tom

Tiny tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

What will you let the engine go for?

#20 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

What will you let the engine go for?

As you can imagine I have had lots of interest in this via pm and on this thread.

I have this in the valuations section as sub 1000 miles engines like this are not an everyday occurrence on ebay etc so cannot search a value.

I know what was paid for it but that was some time ago now and I am of the mindset that something is worth what people are willing to pay.

I will wait until I have had a few sensible valuations (Im not letting it go for a couple hundred) and see where I go from there. If the valuations don't add up to much then I will put it away for a rainy day.

Its a lovely engine and box and built by a very good engine builder that I have total confidence in. Its not a crime to me if it goes unsold.

#21 Tiny tom

Tiny tom

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

I completely understand. Keep me informed. Tom.

#22 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Have you tested the heated screen so you know it works?

As the gearbox is rod change I will give that a miss but as for value, if its in the car and can be tested I would say about £700 ish. If it can,t be tested then around £250-£350 tops

#23 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Have you tested the heated screen so you know it works?

As the gearbox is rod change I will give that a miss but as for value, if its in the car and can be tested I would say about £700 ish. If it can,t be tested then around £250-£350 tops

Had offers in slight excess of your 700 valuation but thanks for the advice.

I have paperwork for £3k and its done less than 1000 miles.

250-350 is deff going to make me want to keep it. I bought an old unknown MG metro engine for this kind of money and spent hundreds on rebuilding it.

Edited by Elf is a mini, 18 February 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#24 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Heated screen works and has the wiring kit too.

engine is still in the car and could be driven today however the brakes will be removed soon as will the wheels making it undriveable.

Like I said before though its not a crime if I have to keep it for a rainy day. Im not desperate to sell it.

EDIT: wheels no longer need a valuation.

Thanks

Edited by Elf is a mini, 18 February 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#25 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:53 PM

Any idea on how much you want for the screen? Is it the Monte Carlo style with the visible elements or the clear one? Sorry, I know you posted a link.

Have the wheels been rehomed yet?

#26 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Any idea on how much you want for the screen? Is it the Monte Carlo style with the visible elements or the clear one? Sorry, I know you posted a link.

Have the wheels been rehomed yet?

wheels have a home.

The screen is the type just the same as the link. You can see the silver sections just like the picture. There are thousands of tiny wiggly wires inside the glass between these silver lines that clear the screen.

I hope this helps

#27 Tomm

Tomm

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

Just the style I'm after.

Do you have a rough sort of price in mind? Drop me a pm if you can, I would certainly be interested price dependant. Would be ideal for my Mk2

#28 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

pm'd Tomm.

Sorry mate no price in mind. No idea on second hand value as I cannot find another for sale to gauge it on.

#29 Clubber Lang

Clubber Lang

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

If you want over £700 for the engine best to leave the brakes and wheels on so someone can drive it and try it or at the very least take a video of it running.

You obviously have a price in mind for it if you think my valuation is too low so why not tell people what you think its worth and take it from there?

You will have to be extremely lucky to get anywhere near half the original cost of a performance engine as those 1000 miles could have been 'ragged' to within an inch of its life lol! or not run in correctly?

A friend of mine had his engine (built by a reputable company) rattle out after 800 miles so I really would think about advertising it as running in the car if you are after big money. At least that way if the new owner has a problem after fitting it they can hardly come back screaming and shouting if you showed them it running.

Just my opinion as I wouldn't spend that kind of money without seeing it running after being stung on ebay (did get some money back through ebay but lot of hassle)

#30 Archived1

Archived1

Super Mini Mad

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Appreciate the comments Lang.

Im not after half the money back. Im not asking for £1500. Im not asking for anything, Im not even sure its for sale. Just seeing what different people value it at.

Cant do much about the running/driving situation when the wheels and brakes have gone but if that means I have to keep it then its no loss to me. Often see engines make good money out of a car on ebay and rarely see then for sale with a prior test drive.
I have taken a video of it running just in case though.

There is no obvious price in mind. Its worth what people will pay. Ive had offers ranging from the lowest of 500 to one saying if I can wait he will pay 1100..

The car was owned by another forum member and looked after by ML. Its not been ragged and was correctly run in, Its a known good engine.

Im not stupid though and if someone came tomorrow with cash then maybe I would be tempted to sell. All offers so far I am just taking as a pinch of salt as nothing is for certain and people talk the talk but rarely open their wallet when it comes down to business..
I don't know if to sell or not until I know what its really worth.

I'm not saying at 700 you are wrong, After all most have been at 800 ish and you did say "around" 700. I just wouldn't accept 250-350 that is known for sure.

When I know its true value I will decide weather or not to keep it in the garage for a rainy day or to pop it up in the for sale section.

I haven't started this thread to get offers although I will admit that is what happened on the wheels and brakes. I genuinely didn't know how to value it and didn't have any thought on prices

Edited by Elf is a mini, 18 February 2014 - 09:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users