43 replies to this topic

#16 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

aup mate have you welded the flanges on your manifold now ? im thinking of making one but i don't have access to an engine ( well one that im not using that in the mini ) and was wondering what the measurements and angles are to make the gt17 fit without mods

cheers

nahh not yet been bogged down in uni work at the minute when its done I will let you know. Ive still got to double check see if it still fits in with enough clearance. Through the measurements which I took it looks like it will have about 15mm clearance. with the gap of 130mm between the back of the block to bulk head. The big bit which will have to change is the actuator placement it looks like it will be mounted on the manifold with a heat shield and the mani being wrapped in exhaust wrapping. This has been done before but i'm still sceptical. If not there is a few other ways to do it. After the trail fit I will draw it up on CAD for you guys to see. Also be fore that I need to make and weld in the turbo plate. This is really the crural bit which I think will make it fit. All well it being tied in with zip ties but won't know till the end.

Very nice mate, you making your own elbow and downpipe?

Sorry missed this yeah I will, bought the elbow and going to make the rest out of 2" or might have to be 1.5"-1.75 to get past the pot joint.

1801275_10202702632540017_897393650_o.jp

1978421_10202702695541592_1198264673_o.j

I'm probably going to have to reduce it.

Ive also worked out what sort of compression ratio I'm going to be running, depending on my pocket sizes wit could be 8.0-1 or 8.25-1 which will let me run up to about 12psi on the standard internals ect. So the pistons won't melt.

Nic

You can run more psi than that in 8-0-1 mate

At that it's like 25psi on the graph I have :L

#17 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

aup mate have you welded the flanges on your manifold now ? im thinking of making one but i don't have access to an engine ( well one that im not using that in the mini ) and was wondering what the measurements and angles are to make the gt17 fit without mods

cheers

nahh not yet been bogged down in uni work at the minute when its done I will let you know. Ive still got to double check see if it still fits in with enough clearance. Through the measurements which I took it looks like it will have about 15mm clearance. with the gap of 130mm between the back of the block to bulk head. The big bit which will have to change is the actuator placement it looks like it will be mounted on the manifold with a heat shield and the mani being wrapped in exhaust wrapping. This has been done before but i'm still sceptical. If not there is a few other ways to do it. After the trail fit I will draw it up on CAD for you guys to see. Also be fore that I need to make and weld in the turbo plate. This is really the crural bit which I think will make it fit. All well it being tied in with zip ties but won't know till the end.

Very nice mate, you making your own elbow and downpipe?

Sorry missed this yeah I will, bought the elbow and going to make the rest out of 2" or might have to be 1.5"-1.75 to get past the pot joint.

1801275_10202702632540017_897393650_o.jp

1978421_10202702695541592_1198264673_o.j

I'm probably going to have to reduce it.

Ive also worked out what sort of compression ratio I'm going to be running, depending on my pocket sizes wit could be 8.0-1 or 8.25-1 which will let me run up to about 12psi on the standard internals ect. So the pistons won't melt.

Nic

You can run more psi than that in 8-0-1 mate

At that it's like 25psi on the graph I have :L

#18 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

I know I can run more than that but its still standard pistons dude. Im going to see if I'm happy with 15 psi first and get it sit up by that in the end only for a summer cruiser before. i build my new engine for my new shell. From what I've read I can go 20+ psi on 8.0-1 cr 

As i said before I bought a shell from a friend a while ago no pics yet its a mainstream cooper mli shell which I'm turning into a light weight caged beast ready for my new motor which I'm going to be building at a later date 

#19 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:52 PM

You need to make the downpipe as big as possible. A 2" downpipe will fit past the pot joint with no trouble. Running a smaller pipe will limit power massively, especially as you increase the boost.

Phil.

#20 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

You need to make the downpipe as big as possible. A 2" downpipe will fit past the pot joint with no trouble. Running a smaller pipe will limit power massively, especially as you increase the boost.

Phil.

agh magical. 2" pipe is what most people use right? cheers thanks phil! And thank you for your website been a massive help pretty much whats carried me through this haha 

#21 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:40 AM

Phil.

agh magical. 2" pipe is what most people use right? cheers thanks phil! And thank you for your website been a massive help pretty much whats carried me through this haha 

Haha same here cheers Phil!

#22 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm going back home next weekend for easter and need to get a few bits done. Ive got to make the pockets, can someone suggest the right size burr to use and I'll get it ordered. So through me being away and being a design student Ive started looking into make a few bits for this mini and my other one which i bought of a friend the other month. Its a 2000 mli shell so as you guessed very rusty. I plan to make this a lightened trick mini hopefully. I've started to make things like coil over turrets and tools on CAD though I might share them here. 

Hole swager in 1/2" 1" and 11/2" 
10150168_10202724074116043_1300655307_o_

And a dimple die which has a detachable head for different sizes
10149530_10202723830069942_1210526221_o_

the reason for this is that its cheaper to make rather than buy 
coilovertunnels_zps85af7181.png

well theres not much going on with the red mini, bits left to get are:
Fuel pump
Fuel reg
Hiff 44
Intercooler
Leccy fan for rad
Oil feed
piping for vac and intercooler
Mg metro cam
Gt17 mounting plate for mani

think thats it for now 

#23 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

block has gone off for machining, its good news that i pulled it apart the journals were still okay but the bearings were very well worn. Ordered dizzy, and loads other parts buying a carb very soon and a cam soon. its back on track 

#24 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

Why are you still running a dizzy?

#25 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:44 AM

cheaper, easier to set up. I understand the benefits of mega jolt. Its on my to get list but my budget is tight at the minute. Where I'm getting it set up they don't have the facilities for that either so dizzy will have to do for now

#26 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

I'm going back home next weekend for easter and need to get a few bits done. Ive got to make the pockets, can someone suggest the right size burr to use and I'll get it ordered. So through me being away and being a design student Ive started looking into make a few bits for this mini and my other one which i bought of a friend the other month. Its a 2000 mli shell so as you guessed very rusty. I plan to make this a lightened trick mini hopefully. I've started to make things like coil over turrets and tools on CAD though I might share them here. 

Hole swager in 1/2" 1" and 11/2" 
10150168_10202724074116043_1300655307_o_

And a dimple die which has a detachable head for different sizes
10149530_10202723830069942_1210526221_o_

the reason for this is that its cheaper to make rather than buy 
coilovertunnels_zps85af7181.png

well theres not much going on with the red mini, bits left to get are:
Fuel pump
Fuel reg
Hiff 44
Intercooler
Leccy fan for rad
Oil feed
piping for vac and intercooler
Mg metro cam
Gt17 mounting plate for mani

think thats it for now 

Nice but why? Amongst others Trumph make every sort of press tool you could desire and moreover they know all about shear angles and slug clearance.

#27 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

Nice but why? Amongst others Trumph make every sort of press tool you could desire and moreover they know all about shear angles and slug clearance.

I just like to make things really, to learn new techniques. I can even use it for extra credits at Uni so.....  :D

#28 Captain Mainwaring

Captain Mainwaring

• Banned
  • 1,712 posts
  • Local Club: Surabaya Mini Club

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:27 AM

I just like to make things really, to learn new techniques. I can even use it for extra credits at Uni so.....  :D

That's fair enough :-) Good answer....

#29 MiniMenzies

MiniMenzies

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:57 AM

I'm in need of a mg metro cam, 266 or sw5 i think it is? and a hif 44 i really want this on the road buy the end of june early july. few things I want to go too haha keep a look out 

#30 coopdog

coopdog

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,506 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

I started mine in January and wanted it done by april.... Mines still not done :L

Deadlines never work on a car build haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users