Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 June 2004 - 09:18 PM

hey everyone,

was talking to a bloke today who says the reason my engine burns so much oil but isn't down on power is because the bores and rings are 'glazed' which can be caused by overheating, which it used to do quite regularly last summer!

He said there was an additive made by Redex which you can put in the cylinders themselves overnight (for a few nights in a row) which will remove the glaze and means the rings grip the bores much tighter. You leave the plugs out overnight, fill the cylinders, then crank it over in the morning with a rag to remove the stuff, then run it as normal.

The only thing is, i don't seem to be able to find it, the only thing I can find is one you put in the oil itself, and allow to circulate. I'm just a bit dubious of this because I don't want to cause damage to the gearbox for any reason, so thought i'd ask you guys if you knew anything about this product, or had any advice of how to remove the glazing from the bores, without a hone or rebore, as if thats the case i'll have it out, put a 1275 in and do something special with the 1098!

Thanks in advance, I can't afford to keep buying 1 litre of oil a week!!!

:grin:

Tom

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:02 PM

I'm not sure about additives that clear up glazing. But here's how to test for screwed piston rings.

Pull out your dipstick with the engine running, if you get oil + smoke spattering up the hole they're shot.

#3 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 June 2004 - 10:00 AM

no smoke or oil out of the dipstick hole - i used redex in the bores last night, then redex in the carb too, has made a hell of a difference - it smoked loads to begin with as it burnt the redex off, now it seems to have improved it hugely. I'm also going to change the oil for 20w/50 rather then 15w/40, as i think the higher viscosity will slow down the burning of so much oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users